New to Fishing, Need Help

Guest NewFisherman

Guest NewFisherman
I just got my fishing license earlier this year.  I've had lots of luck with crabbing but have yet to catch any fish.  The main problem is that I don't really know any of the good fishing spots around here.  I've heard a few things about Pleasure Island and such, but I'm not familiar with that area. 

Any tips or advice for a novice fisherman, on where I can go to catch some decent fish?  Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

Any clue what kind of fish you want to catch?

If you just want to start catching fish and aren't worried about the big three game fish (Specks, Reds, Flounder), you can always catch something on Pleasure Island or in the ship channel. You can use dead shrimp and catch croaker, drum, sand trout, whiting, small (or maybe big) reds, etc. There is always a decent chance that something will pull on your line.

If you are just starting, the biggest three mistakes that people can make in the beginning (in my opinion) are too heavy of a reel and matching line, too big of a hook and too much weight on the line. Then some people want to fish in saltwater by buying commercial made steel leaders that are more appropriate to catch 50 pound sharks than 1/2 pound croaker.

So what is it that you are looking to do?

Everything they said is correct.

If you use dead shrimp, expect catching a catfish. These saltwater cats if they stick you will hurt.......BAD......some people are affected/effected differently......be careful.

Another good spot is Texas Bayou in sabine pass. You can fish on either side of bridge (or you used to) and very good fishing......Mud minnows there against bank (carolina rig) and you will have a decent chance of catching flounder......

and lastly, in saltwater, tide is everything......I've always had my best luck on an outgoing tide (I used to time it to 2 hours after it started)......I'm sure you will get different opinions on that.  On a still tide, I've never caught fish.....

Guest NewFisherman
Thanks so much for the advice so far. 

Right now I have a combo baitcast rod/reel.  I am using a 12lb test mono line and I have some mono leaders that I've been told would be good to use.  At this point I'm just concerned with catching fish in general.  Once I learn more I'll focus on specific types.  The only bait I've used to far is dead shrimp, but a guy I work with recently told me to try Gulp artificial bait, so I was thinking of giving that a shot.  Planning on heading out to Pleasure Island tomorrow and trying my luck.

[quote name="NewFisherman" post="1329945" timestamp="1352869444"]

Right now I have a combo baitcast rod/reel.  I am using a 12lb test mono line and I have some mono leaders that I've been told would be good to use.  At this point I'm just concerned with catching fish in general.  Once I learn more I'll focus on specific types.  The only bait I've used to far is dead shrimp, but a guy I work with recently told me to try Gulp artificial bait, so I was thinking of giving that a shot.  Planning on heading out to Pleasure Island tomorrow and trying my luck.
[/quote]

Being cold blooded animals, fish bite extremely slow when it is cold.

Later in the day might be better but that is just a guess.

We were out at Pleasure Island this past weekend, night fishing on the pier by the bridge to La. Caught Black Drum and Gaftop. Threw the Gaftop back..they are nasty little things. We usually throw the drum back, but decided to keep it since it was slim pickings that night. Not a bad tasting fish. People next to us caught a large flounder. Just gotta be in the right spot.

[quote name="NewFisherman" post="1329945" timestamp="1352869444"]

[/quote]
Gulps are good but don't go without shrimp. If things are slow shrimp can be your best bet even it's trash fish. Walter Umphry pier can be good place to try, plus you can check out other fisherman. Be patient because it can be slow this time of year

Guest NewFisherman
So I went out around 4pm or so and fished just on the other side of the causeway bridge around the public boat ramp.  Didn't have much luck.  Was fishing off the bank right there where all of the shells and rocks are (hopefully some of you know the area I'm describing).  Didn't have much luck with the gulp.  My gf caught a small croaker and another small fish on some dead shrimp we had.  No keepers, but fun experience.  Can't wait to get back out.  Really appreciating all of the tips you guys are giving! 

What canals are you talking about?  It'd be nice to catch some catfish if I could.

It certainly helps if your girlfriend enjoys fishing. Since you didn't get out until 4:00 you probably didn’t have a lot of daylight to fish. If you're just learning and have very little time to fish you may want to consider fishing spots close to home. Save time and money. Make those longer trips when you have time to hop around.

• 2 months later...
Go to an antique shop and look for a hand-cranked telephone.  Buy 30 feet of copper wire, connect both ends to an old TV antenna.  Go to a river with slightly moving water, find a deep hole, drop the antenna over, and crank like heck......  OK, better not do that, but it works.

[quote name="Frozen Baby" post="1372645" timestamp="1360615354"]
Go to an antique shop and look for a hand-cranked telephone.  Buy 30 feet of copper wire, connect both ends to an old TV antenna.  Go to a river with slightly moving water, find a deep hole, drop the antenna over, and crank like heck......  OK, better not do that, but it works.
[/quote]
Is that how you do it in Alaska?

• 2 months later...
[quote name="mat" post="1372852" timestamp="1360676996"]
[quote author=Frozen Baby link=topic=106215.msg1372645#msg1372645 date=1360615354]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am back....... can't miss out on jacking with Dayton and that light shoe'd indian accross the river...... ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Smoking Baby Again" post="1400004" timestamp="1367513123"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=106215.msg1372852#msg1372852 date=1360676996]
[quote author=Frozen Baby link=topic=106215.msg1372645#msg1372645 date=1360615354]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am back....... can't miss out on jacking with Dayton and that light shoe'd indian accross the river...... ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]
Are you back by choice or were you deported?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83