Astros, Carlos Correa agree to contract

His signing bonus was $4.8 million which is $2.4 less than the recommended slot value and makes him the lowest paid 1st overall pick since 2006.  All of you saying the Astros didn't base this decision based on money need to take off the blinders.  I really hope it works out for the best, but I just wish they would have taken the best player and not the guy that was the cheapest. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/houston-astros-top-overall-draft-pick-carlos-correa-agree-contract-060712

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1229469" timestamp="1339195456"]
I honestly think they took him to sign the rest of their picks. Now they can pay McCullers and hopefully sign at least 10 of their first 11 picks. If they would have picked Appel they might not be able to sign but 7 or 8 picks.
[/quote]

Honestly I would rather have Appel (despite the fact that he is struggling tonight) over Mccullers and Correa. Lets look at what we got by passing on Appel. We got a 17 year old SS that has "Extremely raw hitting ability needs to develop for the rest of his offensive game to be relevant. Very young and inexperienced with a huge gap between present ability and future potential". Then we get a pitcher in Mccullers that throws hard, but has scouts worried about future injures and he goes through spurts were he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Plus Mccullers is a Scott Boras kid that wants top 10 money and has a very strong commitment to Florida, he is considered one of the toughest signs in the draft. We also get a kid in Ruiz who is another high upside high school player represented by Boras and is also considered one of the toughest signs in the draft. Then we get Hunter Virant who might be the best pitcher in this class, but again he is a high upside high school player that is relatively new to pitching, and again is considered one of the toughest sign of the draft. They also draft difficult signs Hinojosa and Traver in the late rounds.

So Basically the plan was to save money on the #1 spot and pick up talent throughout the draft, which sounds good, but they drafted some of hardest signs. Virant, Ruiz, and Mccullers all want top 10-15 money. We only saved 2.4 million on the #1 spot, meaning that we will probably only be able to sign 1 of them.

The next problem I have with this draft is that all of the talent they drafted in place of Appel is young and unproven. High school kids have a frequently overvalued upside and are the players that are most likely to be a draft bust. College players are less risky and a little more easy to evaluate, mostly because they play better competition and are more mature. If you look at the college arms taken in the early rounds of recent drafts you will see many have risen quickly and been very successful in the majors. David Price, Chris Sale, Strasburg, Mike Leak, Drew Storen, Aaron Crow, and Mike Minor are just a few of the college pitchers taken in the first round the last 3 years that are already contributing in the Marjors. Then you have Trevor Bauer, Gerrit Cole, and Danny Hultzen who were drafted last year and are doing excellent in the minors. Mark Appel would've likely joined this group and been a dominate front of the rotation guy for Astros.

I once had a scout tell me that every draft a team is hoping to find 2 future starters. Fact is that the majority of the players that are drafted will never see the majors. So I have a hard time understanding why they would pass up Appel who is as close to a sure thing as you're going to find in a draft, for a buch of high upside high schoolers who may or may not workout.

The thing that makes me mad the most is that the Astros didn't even offer Appel slot money. They only offered him 6 million and he turned it down. Which is understandable, because they were shorting him 1.2 million :o.

http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2012/06/its-ok-to-get-excited-about-luhnon-and-the-astros/#loopBegin

Mack and falcon, read this article.  Give this new management some time, it could be a method to their madness. The Astros are still years away from being relevant, so they need to rebuild the sorry farm system.

I hope it works out.

[quote name="19bulldog88" post="1229491" timestamp="1339208908"]
http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2012/06/its-ok-to-get-excited-about-luhnon-and-the-astros/#loopBegin

Mack and falcon, read this article.  Give this new management some time, it could be a method to their madness. The Astros are still years away from being relevant, so they need to rebuild the sorry farm system.

I hope it works out.
[/quote]

They do need to rebuild the farm system. Which is why they should've drafted Appel he was the only college pitcher in this draft who projected to have 3 60+ pitches and had the best control of any of the top pitchers. Pay him the extra 1 million he is worth it!

Also the article says that Lunhow ran the drafts in St. louis, is that true? Lunhow wasn't the GM in St. louis he was the VP, Houston is his first GM job, and I remember the people on MLB network talking about  how this was Lunhow's first draft he was in charge of. So IDK maybe he ran the draft even though he wasn't the GM.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1229494" timestamp="1339209794"]
[quote author=19bulldog88 link=topic=100436.msg1229491#msg1229491 date=1339208908]

I hope it works out.
[/quote]

They do need to rebuild the farm system. Which is why they should've drafted Appel he was the only college pitcher in this draft who projected to have 3 60+ pitches and had the best control of any of the top pitchers. Pay him the extra 1 million he is worth it!

Also the article says that Lunhow ran the drafts in St. louis, is that true? Lunhow wasn't the GM in St. louis he was the VP, Houston is his first GM job, and I remember the people on MLB network talking about  how this was Lunhow's first draft he was in charge of. So IDK maybe he ran the draft even though he wasn't the GM.
[/quote]

I am pretty sure I read an article on Luhnow at some point that said he was director of scouting or something like that for 8 years with the Cards. I will try to find it.

I agree with your points falcon. I just think there are several ways to get results. And several methods to get the job done. I think the astros aren't anywhere near one or two players away from competing so they are going quantity over quality right now. We'll see if they are able to sign these guys or not. Granted these guys still have a lot to prove they are very high ceiling. I'm glad we have confidence in our ability to develop these guys. If we don't spend the full 11 million allowed to spend on the first 11 picks and not sign the majority of these guys then I completely agree that we took the cheap way out.

• 2 weeks later...
Signed Rio Ruiz.

It's much better to be kinda bad when you know better days are coming soon, because the organization is rebuilding the farm. It was miserable when we were bad and were trotting out what was left of Miggy Tejada and Pudge Rodriguez to try to win a few more games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83