BMT. OZEN VS. LIVINGSTON BROADCAST/LIVINGSTON WINS 59-42!

WOSgrad

[quote name="stevenash" post="1175080" timestamp="1328818526"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95625.msg1174966#msg1174966 date=1328805824]
The one thing I've noticed about HJ, Silsbee, and Nederland is this:

A. Their not the most athletic teams

B.  Their players very seldom make it to the next level in major D-1 programs

C.  Their programs win consistently

D. Have youth programs in place ( not really sure what *major* factor plays into this)

E. Players have bought into the system (major factor)

F.  Players [color=red]understand their roles[/color] on the team. Some are better rebounders, defense, etc(major factor)
[/quote]

Careful there, Dove.  Someone might get the idea that you like/respect HJ.  Maybe part of the reason nobody goes D-1 from those schools is that their main objective is for the team to do well rather than to make a player or two major college material not to mention the fact that it doesnt happen in small towns very often.
[/quote]hUH? Larry Bird! Your man!!!! French Lick, Indiana!  C'mon, I need a better answer than that. I think it boils down to the *fact* that you guys have a system in place where the kids believe in the HJ system. And those that don't [s]move back to Liberty.[/s]..errrr ..... move on! :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Larry is my man.  Probably definitely the exception rather than the rule.  It also doesnt hurt to be a good shooter and 6'9'' coming out of high school.  James Gulley had a good career at Lamar battlling players like Karl Malone and he came from little old Newton.  But you are probably right about "the system".  If the guy who runs the system insists that you buy into it, perhaps it means giving up some of that other stuff that might get you noticed. By the way Dove, some of my most brilliant predictive efforts came in those days when I told people that after watching Karl Malone and Joe Dumars come play against Lamar that neither one of then would make it in the NBA.  Looks like I was just slightly off on those predictions.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1175105" timestamp="1328821227"]
Yes, Larry is my man.  Probably definitely the exception rather than the rule.  It also doesnt hurt to be a good shooter and 6'9'' coming out of high school.  James Gulley had a good career at Lamar battlling players like Karl Malone and he came from little old Newton.  But you are probably right about "the system".  If the guy who runs the system insists that you buy into it, perhaps it means giving up some of that other stuff that might get you noticed. By the way Dove, some of my most brilliant predictive efforts came in those days when I told people that after watching Karl Malone and Joe Dumars come play against Lamar that neither one of then would make it in the NBA.  Looks like I was just slightly off on those predictions.
[/quote]Yeah, just goes to show we can't depend on your player evaluations ;)

I still say that the reason for ozen's lack of domination as in the past, is that the talent is spread out throughout the Beaumont schools more evenly. Yes coaching is a big part of it too. Maybe not the x's & o's, but as dove said when the kids buy into what the coach is teaching, it makes a huge difference...Kids knew when they strapped them up at Ozen when Boutte was there they didn't second guess him because of his success. Dont fool yourself, Kids see that. Now you have a plethora of coaches in the stands...

Westbrook has had talent over the last ten years....0 district championships,  and 3 playoff appearances, with 3 first round exits in 10 years.... ::)....  Central has also had talent...They were a fixture in the runner up spot behind Ozen, since they got in that district in 2002-03, which for all practical purposes was understandable and accepted in Beaumont ISD...My point is, there was no real big shift in talent in BISD, back then...If anything, Ozen LOST kids in hopes of becoming the first option at the other two schools (i.e. Westbrook's Trey McDowell, Jeremy Long, Golden Corner, etc.)  NOW Ozen is losing kids that they would have normally gotten due to the state of the current program...Where are they going? Central and Westbrook, (with some popping up in Sour Lake  ;)).  Not a good situation.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124