Got to hand it to Lamar

Well no one can say that the Cards have not played a tough non-conference schedule!
Playing #2 Ohio State and #3 Kentucky back to back is no small order for any team, but even in defeat the Cards can hold their heads up. I know Coach Knight is not a morale victory kind of coach, but playing teams like this will help him recruit players that will make the program better every year.

I can hear the living room conversation now..."Well if you come play for Lamar you will face some of the toughest teams in the nation and with your help we not only will play them we believe we can beat them. We want to build a program that is not a March Madness cinderella story, but a season long really good team, so what do you say do you want to be a Cardinal?"

I just hope that the university supports the program and fills the arena as often as possible. That is what makes the program more than just something to do, but is an event in and of itself.

Don't forget about #4 Louisville as well. And Ohio is a very good Mid Major this year at 11-1 with the only loss being a 4 pointer to Louisville. LU took them to OT. Rice is 9-4 with a W over A&M, TCU 8-4 and even Charlotte is 7-4. Good start against a very good schedule. Teams played have a combined winning percentage of 64%.

I guarantee if someone can look up our current strength of schedule we are for sure in the top 60 of over 300 teams. And for sure in front of teams like Texas and Texas A&M. And to be 9-5 at the start of conference I would say we have been the most impressive team in the Southland for sure. And keep in mind we still have bracket buster game later in the year. 
I think we are poised to make a lot of noise this year.

Coach Knight is doing a great job coaching a team with 6 seniors, 4 of which start...a group of talented kids that really did need some coaching. Can anyone believe how these small kids rebound against OSU and UK?  I think we are poised to do well in the SLC this year with a reasonable expectation to advance in the tourney...and even win it. To all on this site that are happy with the turnaround in LU basketball, please keep those thoughts in mind next year when Pat is playing an all D1 schedule (as he claims) with Donley Minor and Stan Brown as his only seniors and a bunch of newcomers. In the meantime, lets back a talented group of upper-class athletes and an inspired and knowledgeable new coach by showing up for all the conference home games. Can you imagine the embarrassment for the rest of the SLC if we put 6000-8000 fans into the Montagne for conference games...is that not a reasonable goal?

Before playing Lyon Lamar's RPI was 39. That game sand bagged it to 55. It will drop in SLC play but still waaaaaaay ahead of the next SLC team UTSA at 162. At 55 Lamar is ahead of Virginia, BYU, Oral Roberts, Texas, Florida St, Pitt, Oklahoma St etc.

Coach Knight has told me multiple times he wants Lamar to be the Gonzaga of the southwest.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder