Coldspring question?

Guest beechnut

Guest beechnut
Is the Scott kid any kin to the Scott that was the running back lb hoss y'all back four or five years ago? Second question: is the Sykes related to James who played in the NFL and Rice? Thanks

[quote name="beechnut" post="1138422" timestamp="1322921734"]
Is the Scott kid any kin to the Scott that was the running back lb hoss y'all back four or five years ago? Second question: is the Sykes related to James who played in the NFL and Rice? Thanks
[/quote]
Not sure about Scott.  Most likely related.  And I think James is his daddy.

[quote name="LuvMyTrojans" post="1138428" timestamp="1322923074"]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=92599.msg1138422#msg1138422 date=1322921734]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Coach James Sykes (Cleveland ISD) is not Jerrell Sykes' daddy. I think Coach Sykes is Jerrell's uncle. Jerrell's dad was a great athlete too.

I don't think Alfred Scott and Pharnell (sp?) Scott are closely related; however, they may be.

[quote name="DoRightTrojanFan" post="1138433" timestamp="1322923704"]
[quote author=LuvMyTrojans link=topic=92599.msg1138428#msg1138428 date=1322923074]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=92599.msg1138422#msg1138422 date=1322921734]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Coach James Sykes (Cleveland ISD) is not Jerrell Sykes' daddy. I think Coach Sykes is Jerrell's uncle. Jerrell's dad was a great athlete too.

I don't think Alfred Scott and Pharnell (sp?) Scott are closely related; however, they may be.
[/quote]

Oh I'm sorry. I thought last year someone told me James was his father.  Just goes to show how wrong small town gossip can be ;)

[quote name="DoRightTrojanFan" post="1138433" timestamp="1322923704"]

[/quote]

That's correct...James Sykes is Jerrell's uncle...Gerald Sykes is Jerrell's dad and James brother...Gerald is the guy in Coldspring that has run the youth football and basketball leagues for years...James played college ball at Rice and then was drafted by Washington Redskins and ended up being a allstar in the CFL...

Not sure about Alfred Scott and James Scott (Pharnell)...I'll have to ask about that...I don't think they are, however, I wouldn't be surprised if they were somehow as it seems as if everyone is related to someone in Coldspring.. :)

Colton Monroe is another kid on the team with NFL and CFL ties...His grandfather (the late Jimmy Edwards) was a OU signee out of high school in Oklahoma before transferring out and being a All American at Louisiana Monroe....His grandfather was MVP of CFL (same award Doug Flutie & Warren Moon won) and I believe led the NFC in kickoff return yards one year in late 70's with the Minnesota Vikings....

Then you have Gilbert whose brother is a great player for OSU right now and as I've heard several times is the fastest player on their campus...

Those are some of the connections that I know of...Heck there might be a few more that I haven't heard about but it's not bad for a little 3a school out in the woods... ;)

[quote name="MEM" post="1138472" timestamp="1322926998"]
[quote author=DoRightTrojanFan link=topic=92599.msg1138433#msg1138433 date=1322923704]

[/quote]

That's correct...James Sykes is Jerrell's uncle...Gerald Sykes is Jerrell's dad and James brother...Gerald is the guy in Coldspring that has run the youth football and basketball leagues for years...James played college ball at Rice and then was drafted by Washington Redskins and ended up being a allstar in the CFL...

Not sure about Alfred Scott and James Scott (Pharnell)...I'll have to ask about that...I don't think they are, however, I wouldn't be surprised if they were somehow as it seems as if everyone is related to someone in Coldspring.. :)

Colton Monroe is another kid on the team with NFL and CFL ties...His grandfather (the late Jimmy Edwards) was a OU signee out of high school in Oklahoma before transferring out and being a All American at Louisiana Monroe....His grandfather was MVP of CFL (same award Doug Flutie & Warren Moon won) and I believe led the NFC in kickoff return yards one year in late 70's with the Minnesota Vikings....

Then you have Gilbert whose brother is a great player for OSU right now and as I've heard several times is the fastest player on their campus...

Those are some of the connections that I know of...Heck there might be a few more that I haven't heard about but it's not bad for a little 3a school out in the woods... ;)
[/quote]

Not bad at all & it helps explain why CS has had good or great teams over the years.

Guest beechnut
[quote name="MEM" post="1138472" timestamp="1322926998"]
[quote author=DoRightTrojanFan link=topic=92599.msg1138433#msg1138433 date=1322923704]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks and who said football was not genetic? Ya buddy good blood lines.

Guest beechnut
[quote name="j_dog" post="1138561" timestamp="1322933626"]
Don't overlook the coaching staff.  There is a bit of "genetics" at work there also.
[/quote]

May be but hard not to have a kid like Gilbert and be succesful and the raw speed they have on their team. Dont know much about their staff but good team.

[quote name="beechnut" post="1138563" timestamp="1322933729"]
[quote author=j_dog link=topic=92599.msg1138561#msg1138561 date=1322933626]
Don't overlook the coaching staff.  There is a bit of "genetics" at work there also.
[/quote]

May be but hard not to have a kid like Gilbert and be succesful and the raw speed they have on their team. Dont know much about their staff but good team.
[/quote]

We've had kids faster than Gilbert that were never looked at due to poor coaching... 
A few of the Sykes boys come to mind

The coaching and the current technology make all the difference in this day and age.

[quote name="beechnut" post="1138563" timestamp="1322933729"]
[quote author=j_dog link=topic=92599.msg1138561#msg1138561 date=1322933626]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Well, the head coach's dad was one of the most successful high school coaches in the history of the state.  Name:  Curtis Barbay at Newton.  Obviously, Brian Barbay learned something from him.  I have heard that the same kind of talent has been at Coldspring over the years, but underachieved.  Many schools have just as much talent but rarely have great success.  Other schools do not have all that much talent, but regularly go deep into the playoffs.  Most coaches know the X's and O's but that is seldom enough.  It all starts at the top with the leadership.  With a good vision.  With good people skills.  With salesmanship.  With respect.  A winning program takes it all. 

Case in point.  Gilbert's brother played at Huntsville Highs School.  Started three years.  Won state in track, 100 meters.  Per OSU website, he is the fastest human on their campus, including the track team.  I was fortunate enough to get to see him play.  He was an OUTSTANDING high school player.  If necessary, he could run 40 yards to get 20.  He was virtually un-catchable at times.  Question.  How many playoff games did Hunstville win during that time?  How many playoff games did they even play in?

Guest beechnut
Before this coach showed up I think they played for state twice right? Peveto was a great coach and this ain't their first rodeo.  I like the barbay @ Anahuac if that's thesame family.

[quote name="beechnut" post="1138599" timestamp="1322936186"]
Before this coach showed up I think they played for state twice right? Peveto was a great coach and this ain't their first rodeo.  I like the barbay @ Anahuac if that's thesame family.
[/quote]

The Anahuac coach and CS coach are brothers.  Didn't Brian Barbay assistant coach for Peveto at CS before he died? 

[quote name="beechnut" post="1138599" timestamp="1322936186"]
[b][color=red]Before this coach showed up[/color][/b] [b]I think they played for state twice right[/b]? Peveto was a great coach and this ain't their first rodeo.  I like the barbay @ Anahuac if that's thesame family.
[/quote]

No, 1992 and 2010.

[quote name="LuvMyTrojans" post="1138617" timestamp="1322936966"]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=92599.msg1138599#msg1138599 date=1322936186]
[/quote]

The Anahuac coach and CS coach are brothers.  Didn't Brian Barbay assistant coach for Peveto at CS before he died?
[/quote]

The long time sucessful coach at Newton was Curtis Barbay.  Both Brian Barbay at Coldspring and Darrell Barbay at Anahuac are his sons. 

Coach Brian at Coldsprings was assistant under Jack Alvarez in Kirbyville.  Id bet that anywhere you see either of them coaching it will be for a winning program.  Its in their blood and its all they have ever known!

Guest beechnut
[quote name="rykerx144" post="1138862" timestamp="1322948382"]
[quote author=LuvMyTrojans link=topic=92599.msg1138617#msg1138617 date=1322936966]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=92599.msg1138599#msg1138599 date=1322936186]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The long time sucessful coach at Newton was Curtis Barbay.  Both Brian Barbay at Coldspring and Darrell Barbay at Anahuac are his sons. 

Coach Brian at Coldsprings was assistant under Jack Alvarez in Kirbyville.
[/quote]

Ok some chap from name Leo with a cowboy hat sat with Grad and I last night and told us that I think. Leo we did not get to say good by e but nice meeting you.

Footage of Ray Fisher's first six games in 1992.  Coach Peveto was there in the first three games against Port Arthur SFA, Woodville, and Houston Jeff Davis:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZag-c_wLdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZag-c_wLdU[/url]

Coach Peveto passed away early in the 1992 season.  Coach Barbay was hired as an OL/DL position coach and powerlifting coach in the fall of 1993.  Both are great coaches and great examples to young men.  Great to see the Trojans proving themselves as a top contender again this year.

Regarding Justin Gilbert at Huntsville High, he was the starting QB in 2008 and 2009 when Huntsville played in Brenham's district.  Huntsville went undefeated in district in 2008, but then somehow managed to lose to Lockhart in the 1st round.  In 2009, they lost just one district game (to Brenham).  Defeated Hays Consol in the 1st round before losing to Beaumont Central in the 2nd round 28-24.  They should have beaten Central.  Gilbert also ran kicks back, and when he hit the open field, he was long gone.  Speed was ridiculous.  Tune in tonight and watch him run kicks back for OK State.

[quote name="Eazy" post="1139066" timestamp="1322957828"]
Regarding Justin Gilbert at Huntsville High, he was the starting QB in 2008 and 2009 when Huntsville played in Brenham's district.  Huntsville went undefeated in district in 2008, but then somehow managed to lose to Lockhart in the 1st round.  In 2009, they lost just one district game (to Brenham).  Defeated Hays Consol in the 1st round before losing to Beaumont Central in the 2nd round 28-24.  They should have beaten Central.  Gilbert also ran kicks back, and when he hit the open field, he was long gone.  Speed was ridiculous.  Tune in tonight and watch him run kicks back for OK State.
[/quote]
Just read this morning that Huntsville has won only one playoff game in the last 20 years.  So that was 'the one" against Hays Consilidated.  That is sad for a program that won state around 1980 and regularly went deep into the 4a playoffs.  The coach retired, and so did the winning.  Coaching does make a huge difference.

Wow.  I didn't realize that.  If it wasn't for J. Gilbert, they would be zero wins for 20 years.  I still remember when they were USA Today #1 in the nation around 1991.  Coach Joe Clements retired about 20 years ago after his youngest son finished, and the program tanked right after that.   

[quote name="TROJANSWIN" post="1139163" timestamp="1322963271"]
Also, about 20 years after the Cowboys stopped having camp in Huntsville.  Coincidence or some Cowboy genetics show up in Huntsville High for awhile?
[/quote]
Well if that were the case, the last few years should have been very, very special indeed!  ;D

[quote name="j_dog" post="1139166" timestamp="1322963408"]
[quote author=TROJANSWIN link=topic=92599.msg1139163#msg1139163 date=1322963271]
Also, about 20 years after the Cowboys stopped having camp in Huntsville.  Coincidence or some Cowboy genetics show up in Huntsville High for awhile?
[/quote]
Well if that were the case, the last few years should have been very, very special indeed!  ;D
[/quote]
It's been a long time ago now, but when Huntsville's football team was so good was at the time where any Cowboy genetics would have been in High School.  After the Cowboy's quit having camp there, and the offspring would have graduated, the football program took a dive.
????

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn