Coldspring vs Lorena

Homer

Just saw some stats on Coldspring : PF......578______PA 81

Really impressive on Defense allowing only 81 points with a 12 game winning streak...That has to be in the running for the best in state on defense. Good Job..

**  I know stats don't win ball games so far the sake of arguement I'll throw that in... ;D ;D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="belle-mere" post="1126793" timestamp="1321920396"]
I, for one, have been surprised by the lack of explosive offense by Coldspring.  I know that there have been injuries and illnesses with O players.  It makes me wonder how deep CS is and how solid their O line is.  After all, this is a new O line this year, used to playing inferior teams in district (with the exception of Huffman).  I hope they are learning each week and becoming stronger.  I know that defense wins championships, but you've got to score points.  I support you CS as the representative of 22 3-A.  I hope everyone is healthy and that you have a great game Friday night!
[/quote]

Teams that have a good offense tend to blow out inferior teams.That sometimes gives a false reading of how potent that offense is.Coldspring has played two pretty good defensive teams that kept their offense in check.Coldsprings strength is their defense.A good defense will,but not always, win the day.WO-S  on the other hand has blowed out two teams that had no defense so by the same token they give off a false reading.WO-S also has a good defense.That's why I hope both teams win this week.Highschool football is screaming for this matchup.

Let’s address the offensive output or rather the lack of offensive output by the Trojans the last two games. To start with they played two dang good defensive teams and both had mirror defensive schemes prepared for Coldspring. Stack the line, put 8 men in the box and close down the ends. Make them throw the ball. It was effective but as most good teams do, the Trojans found a way to scratch out a win.

Taking nothing away from either team, BC or Bellville, what very few people knew was they were defending against a wounded warrior. Sherman Gilbert suffered from the flu symptoms going into the Bridge City game and the plan was to ride Colton Monroe and use Gilbert as a decoy. Monroe was knocked out before half and went to the hospital. You know the results.

The flu carried over to the Bellville game with Gilbert passing out after the game while still on the field. Once again Colton Monroe had to carry the baggage with Gilbert the decoy. Gilbert ended up with just 57 yds rushing while Monroe had 107. Monroe was a key to the game, therefore to prevent any chance of an injury he was pulled out of the defensive lineup where he had been a stone wall all season.

Once again Colton Monroe did a fantastic job of filling in but I am not sure he can go like that again. He was WAXED at the end of the game. His only remarks after the game was “Man I am glad that is over…”
Mean while Gilbert is recovering fine and should be back to carrying the baggage this week at Lorena. I hope he will be 80-100% and he can bounce back. Don’t get me wrong Sherman and the Trojans did a great job at covering up his flu, but anyone following this team knew he was not 100% and it showed.

Lorena beat Rusk 40-0 , I don’t even know how they let Rusk in the playoffs their record was Overall: 4-8 and District 2-2 (four team district) Rusk had advanced by beating Kirbyville and we all know how much of an off season they had.

Although Lorena beat a pretty good Fairfield team 28-14 for their 1st win in the playoffs. Fairfield had beat Madisonville  38-21, Coldspring beat Madisonville in pre-season 49-17 and played 2nd string most of 2nd half. Both the 1st and 2nd place teams from Lorena’s district has been knocked out of the playoffs, the bad news is that their 1st place team La Vega played Tyler Chapel Hill a close game 27-20 and La Vega struggled with Lorena but won 27-20.

Their kicker has several field goals for the season, 7 FG along with 32 PAT, we do not want this to come down to a kicker game.

Coldspring too fast and too much defense for Lorena, besides the Trojans will be looking for some pay back after they came from behind and knocked them out of the playoffs two years ago 33-29.
I don’t like predictions but if I had to pick a score Coldspring 27 Lorena 10

[quote name="jnunn" post="1127586" timestamp="1321991238"]
Lorena beat Rusk 40-0 , I don’t even know how they let Rusk in the playoffs their record was Overall: 4-8 and District 2-2 (four team district) Rusk had advanced by beating Kirbyville and we all know how much of an off season they had.

Although Lorena beat a pretty good Fairfield team 28-14 for their 1st win in the playoffs. Fairfield had beat Madisonville  38-21, Coldspring beat Madisonville in pre-season 49-17 and played 2nd string most of 2nd half. Both the 1st and 2nd place teams from Lorena’s district has been knocked out of the playoffs, the bad news is that their 1st place team La Vega played Tyler Chapel Hill a close game 27-20 and La Vega struggled with Lorena but won 27-20.

Their kicker has several field goals for the season, 7 FG along with 32 PAT, we do not want this to come down to a kicker game.

Coldspring too fast and too much defense for Lorena, besides the Trojans will be looking for some pay back after they came from behind and knocked them out of the playoffs two years ago 33-29.
I don’t like predictions but if I had to pick a score Coldspring 27 Lorena 10
[/quote]

It must have been a five team district if they were 2-2 correct?

[quote name="jnunn" post="1127584" timestamp="1321991097"]
Let’s address the offensive output or rather the lack of offensive output by the Trojans the last two games. To start with they played two dang good defensive teams and both had mirror defensive schemes prepared for Coldspring. Stack the line, put 8 men in the box and close down the ends. Make them throw the ball. It was effective but as most good teams do, the Trojans found a way to scratch out a win.

Taking nothing away from either team, BC or Bellville, what very few people knew was they were defending against a wounded warrior. Sherman Gilbert suffered from the flu symptoms going into the Bridge City game and the plan was to ride Colton Monroe and use Gilbert as a decoy. Monroe was knocked out before half and went to the hospital. You know the results.

The flu carried over to the Bellville game with Gilbert passing out after the game while still on the field. Once again Colton Monroe had to carry the baggage with Gilbert the decoy. Gilbert ended up with just 57 yds rushing while Monroe had 107. Monroe was a key to the game, therefore to prevent any chance of an injury he was pulled out of the defensive lineup where he had been a stone wall all season.

Once again Colton Monroe did a fantastic job of filling in but I am not sure he can go like that again. He was WAXED at the end of the game. His only remarks after the game was “Man I am glad that is over…”
Mean while Gilbert is recovering fine and should be back to carrying the baggage this week at Lorena. I hope he will be 80-100% and he can bounce back. Don’t get me wrong Sherman and the Trojans did a great job at covering up his flu, but anyone following this team knew he was not 100% and it showed.
[/quote]

C'mon  mann

[quote name="One4All" post="1127651" timestamp="1321995066"]
[quote author=jnunn link=topic=91904.msg1127584#msg1127584 date=1321991097]

[/quote]

C'mon  mann
[/quote]

One4All..Do this for a living...notice there were no "Someone said" or "I heard". When you take the 72yds TD rushing by Gilbert away from his total 123 yards in the Brige City game leaving a net of 51 yards and then only 57 yards in the Bellville game for a total of 108 yards in two games for one of the most prolific backs in our area. Sherman Gilbert averages 153.4 yards per game and has rushed for a total of 1841 yards with 31 touchdowns.  Do you really think he was hitting on all his cylinders? COME’ON MAN

TD you have good logic, I stand corrected there were 5 teams in Rusk's District, thanks for the oversight!

[quote name="One4All" post="1127816" timestamp="1322005919"]
Just sayings.....when a team lose or struggles with someone its always an excuse
[/quote]

That explains everything. That is right, if there wasn't an excuse the score would have been a lot more. Makes sense to me. I am happy that we can agree on this. Excuse or reason means the same thing. Thanks

No on second thought..was there something in my post that you do not belive? I was just stating the facts. If facts become an excuse them I am sorry. The discussion was what happen to the Coldspring offense, I just tried to answer a little bit of the problem. I knew this two weeks ago before the Bridge City game and did not want to assist any team in reporting an injury or a weakness in either team. Now that he seems to be on the mend, I see no problem posting it.

[quote name="jnunn" post="1127823" timestamp="1322006319"]
[quote author=One4All link=topic=91904.msg1127816#msg1127816 date=1322005919]
Just sayings.....when a team lose or struggles with someone its always an excuse
[/quote]

That explains everything. That is right, if there wasn't an excuse the score would have been a lot more. Makes sense to me. I am happy that we can agree on this. Excuse or reason means the same thing. Thanks

No on second thought..was there something in my post that you do not belive? I was just stating the facts. If facts become an excuse them I am sorry. The discussion was what happen to the Coldspring offense, I just tried to answer a little bit of the problem. I knew this two weeks ago before the Bridge City game and did not want to assist any team in reporting an injury or a weakness in either team. Now that he seems to be on the mend, I see no problem posting it.
[/quote]

Good post jnunn .......its all about what u belive .......good luck

jnunn, you are 100% right. I know the truth first hand as you do , but I refused to post it because I didn't want to catch the flack for making excuses. Well said , You just stated  the
facts. The offense should be firing on all 8 come this Friday.!!!!! Thank goodness for the
Trojan D. They have played lights out!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="TROJAN92" post="1127881" timestamp="1322011224"]
jnunn, you are 100% right. I know the truth first hand as you do , but I refused to post it because I didn't want to catch the flack for making excuses. Well said , You just stated  the
facts. The offense should be firing on all 8 come this Friday.!!!!! Thank goodness for the
[/quote]

Firing on all 8? That's it? Brother, we have 16 cylinders. LOL.  Just stirring the pot.

[quote name="kicker" post="1127893" timestamp="1322011970"]
[quote author=TROJAN92 link=topic=91904.msg1127881#msg1127881 date=1322011224]
[/quote]

Firing on all 8? That's it? Brother, we have 16 cylinders. LOL.  Just stirring the pot.
[/quote]

LOL, stirr away!!!!

The season ending injury to starting free safety Jay Trapp (in the last regular season game) has also probably been a factor as Gilbert is now having to start on both sides of the ball for the first time in his high school career (after the coaches had to shuffle people around in the secondary)....He'd played spot duty here and there in the past but nothing close to what he's now having to do...There is a huge difference in playing offense and then going and resting for a few minutes until your D gets the ball back and staying on the field the entire game....Until the Trapp injury Monroe was really the only starter that played both ways and he didn't even really play that much defensively (usually only a handful of series a game) because the games got out of control so quickly...

With everything that's happened (personnel and injury wise) the last few weeks it's even more amazing that the D has played as good as it has....

The BC game was a real test of will as CS went into that game with a revamped secondary (Gilbert playing both ways for the first time) and then Monroe getting knocked out right before halftime...So what you basically had was CS playing without both of their starting safeties and the other half of their starting RB duo...Monroe being out caused several different players (on defense and offense) having to play some very critical minutes while going both ways...

As some have mentioned on this site previously CS looked tired at the end of the game and it's very possible they were given the absolute slugfest that game turned out to be and the moving around of players needed to secure the win...

Bellville also turned into a nailbiter due to CS not executing in the redzone and having some really poorly timed penalties...

Both of the games were games that could've went either way but CS played with the heart of a champion and was able to do just enough to win both of them....Playing two tough games like that can't do anything but give them a little confidence as they continue chasing the dream of a state championship...

I absolutely agree.  I think those two games have improved us tremendously.  I think this game were going to be able to open it up a little more.  I don't know why, but I just think a matchup with WOS is inevitable.  I really one to see this match up of the areas top two teams.  Plus the last three match ups I have not been able to make it to, but this one I should be able to make if both teams make it.  I just don't feel like Lorena is a team as strong as Bellville or Bridge City.  Especially defensively. 

Lorena, since mid-season, has built a strong defense, anchored by the #1 and #2 leading tacklers in central texas (2A-5A see Waco Trib Stats Plus) with 188 and 165 tackles; one of those the 2009 Supercentex Newcomer of the Year. Allowed Rusk into the redzone only twice and held on 1st and goal from the 9. Blanked them 40-0.

Offensively, Lorena struggled with finishing and 3rd and 4th down conversions through mid-season. Sr qb close to the top in central texas in passing wth over 1000 yds passing and a has a 600 yd receiver. Week 9 sophomore move-up qb has rushed for over 1500 yds and passed for over 1000 yds on the season at 6'0 210 lbs. They have figured out the finishing part. Zero red-zone stops in the last 3 games and converted on 100% 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 in the past 4 games. 3 qb system with 3rd sr qb having carried the team through season and playoffs last year. 3 of these sr offensive players saw playing time when Lorena beat Coldspring in '09.

Lorena took La Vega to the edge, with 1st and goal from the 8 for the win. 2 offsides plays later, Lorena had trouble finishing in a 7-point game. Again, Lorena has figured out how to finish. Of course, the only thing that seperated LV and the #1 team turned out to be 3 yards.

CS is forced to prepare this week for ground and air. Lorena is not.

Good luck to CS.

One more thing about Lorena. Someone earlier was nice to give a compliment about the '09 game, but called us "big corn fed boys", but actually Lorena is a bedroom community of Waco, made up up of a lot of Baylor University professors and employees, along with doctors from the Scott and White and Providence Hospital systems. Our boys come in pretty high on the intelligence scale too.

I was told (by a couple of CS players) after the 09 playoff loss to Lorena that they were some of the nicest kids they'd ever played against...They had really good sportsmanship through the entire game even when it looked like they were getting ready to be blown out....

A couple of times Lorena players where hammered only to get up and say "good job" or "great hit"....The comment that I remember the most was when one of their best players said during the game "wow, you guys are really fast" & "way to play hard and make us earn it"....

One of the CS players after the game said that as bad as that loss hurt (and it did really hurt-because that team could've made some noise) that if he had to lose to a team he was glad it was to a team that played and acted the right way....There are some kids out there that still care about sportsmanship...

I've got alot of respect for Lorena...Like I said previously not really flashy but they do bring their lunch pail and get to work...The fact that they've had 5 losses this year but have fought through it and seem to be getting better tends to suggest their never give up attitude...

After shuffling through the mud of this really long thread we FINALLY get to the good parts.  While no one is as eager to see a match up between WOS and CS as I am, I can assure you CS is preparing for the Lorena game on Friday, without thought to WOS. 
I keep thinking WOW, CS pulled out 2 playoff wins despite injuries and illness.  How awesome are they going to be at full strength again?  Yes, I'm well aware of the saying "Results Not Excuses",  but I'd rather know that we lost giving it our all at 110% than to have to think about "if only..."

Thanks for the stats and post jnunn. 

Who says "Big corn fed boys" can't have brains?  God doesn't give ya one or the other... it can be both!

I for one, just as I have every Friday this season, will continue my prayers as I sit in the stands during the games.  I pray that the boys stay safe and healthy, and that they continue to learn from the games and each other.  Oh and if He wants to bless us with a win... that would be ok too.  ;)

[quote name="FB-Fanatic" post="1128015" timestamp="1322021194"]
Lorena, since mid-season, has built a strong defense, anchored by the #1 and #2 leading tacklers in central texas (2A-5A see Waco Trib Stats Plus) with 188 and 165 tackles; one of those the 2009 Supercentex Newcomer of the Year. Allowed Rusk into the redzone only twice and held on 1st and goal from the 9. Blanked them 40-0.

Offensively, Lorena struggled with finishing and 3rd and 4th down conversions through mid-season. Sr qb close to the top in central texas in passing wth over 1000 yds passing and a has a 600 yd receiver. Week 9 sophomore move-up qb has rushed for over 1500 yds and passed for over 1000 yds on the season at 6'0 210 lbs. They have figured out the finishing part. Zero red-zone stops in the last 3 games and converted on 100% 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 in the past 4 games. 3 qb system with 3rd sr qb having carried the team through season and playoffs last year. 3 of these sr offensive players saw playing time when Lorena beat Coldspring in '09.

Lorena took La Vega to the edge, with 1st and goal from the 8 for the win. 2 offsides plays later, Lorena had trouble finishing in a 7-point game. Again, Lorena has figured out how to finish. Of course, the only thing that seperated LV and the #1 team turned out to be 3 yards.

CS is forced to prepare this week for ground and air. Lorena is not.

Good luck to CS.
[/quote]

Thanks for the post and the information. One thing I would like to add, however, is that if Lorena isn't preparing for the pass, that would be a gross miscalculation. While it might not e their strong suit. CS did pass for over 120 yds last week.

[quote name="MEM" post="1128559" timestamp="1322087164"]
I tend to agree with you...
[/quote]

The 2 Linebackers from Lorens rank 1st and 4th 3-A in tackles. Combined they have 353 tackles Jakob Coker 188 and Kevin Mottley 165.

Am I the only one that thinks there is something wrong with those stats? Not that they are not great individual preformances, but where is their interior defensive line that would allow two linebackers to make this many tackles. We talk about the Coldspring Trojans 578 ranking 3rd in 3-A playoff team scoring even with their last two games added in. On the other hand we talk about Lorean leading in tackles in 3-A teams averaging over a 100 per game.

To get these kind of number a defensive team has to be on the field a long time, and the same token with an offensive team to score an average of 48.2 points a game you have to control the ball. Could this result in the difference of points scored minus points given up give Coldspring a 496+ and Lorena 106+?

I keep looking for that sure star stat that will seperate these two teams. I don't really see it being their tackle stats, much like a boxer who braggs about being hit over a 100 times a fight, soon or later the blows will catch up and he will lose 3 or 4 fights or even maybe 5.

It is what it is. It is a playoff game and each team will play their final game and I can assure you both teams  will leave it all on the field.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476