I prefer Pittsburgh Steelers football....

My father, God rest his soul, had one belief when it comes to football: control the clock and you control the game. Flawless execution, no turnovers, good defense and keep the other team's offense off the field by holding onto the ball. Pretty well Vidor's M.O. anymore. Works for me. Buffalo Bills were really good about scoring points in under two minutes = no Super Bowl Championships. I'm not sayin' we're anywhere near the Steelers but I believe Thursday night was the finest 48 minutes in Vidor football history and we only threw two passes. If Crosby and the Walter twins would have had 10 minutes more of offense....my brain won't let me think like that, it just shut down.

I agree with you. Time of possession is probably the most underated stat in all of football. It's a pretty simple concept help you're D out by simply keeping the other teams O off the field. However you don't have to be a running base O to control the clock, you can accomplish the same thing with short high percentage passes to move the ball. The problem with Vidors style of O is if the ever do get down by a decent margin early, it is nearly impossible to come back. Other than that it is a very effective offence that doesn't require outstanding talent, just great execution.

Personaly my favorite O is the pistol. It is very versatile, you can be a power team, you can be a spread team, you can run counters,  options, play action, and pretty much everything else. It's the best of both worlds. It provides the ability to have a vertical running game in between the tackles, instead of the side to side perimeter running game used in the traditional spread. Then it is easier to pass out of then going under center. I belive you will see this offence a lot more in the future at all levels of football. There are simply very few drawbacks to this offence.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1117461" timestamp="1321245555"]
My father, God rest his soul, had one belief when it comes to football: control the clock and you control the game. Flawless execution, no turnovers, good defense and keep the other team's offense off the field by holding onto the ball. Pretty well Vidor's M.O. anymore. Works for me. Buffalo Bills were really good about scoring points in under two minutes = no Super Bowl Championships. I'm not sayin' we're anywhere near the Steelers but I believe Thursday night was the finest 48 minutes in Vidor football history and we only threw two passes. If Crosby and the Walter twins would have had 10 minutes more of offense....my brain won't let me think like that, it just shut down.
[/quote]

Rothlesberger was 21/33 for 245 yds. and 1 TD yesterday. They won.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1117493" timestamp="1321249139"]
I agree with you. Time of possession is probably the most underated stat in all of football. It's a pretty simple concept help you're D out by simply keeping the other teams O off the field. However you don't have to be a running base O to control the clock, you can accomplish the same thing with short high percentage passes to move the ball.[b] The problem with Vidors style of O is if the ever do get down by a decent margin early, it is nearly impossible to come back[/b]. Other than that it is a very effective offence that doesn't require outstanding talent, just great execution.

Personaly my favorite O is the pistol. It is very versatile, you can be a power team, you can be a spread team, you can run counters,  options, play action, and pretty much everything else. It's the best of both worlds. It provides the ability to have a vertical running game in between the tackles, instead of the side to side perimeter running game used in the traditional spread. Then it is easier to pass out of then going under center. I belive you will see this offence a lot more in the future at all levels of football. There are simply very few drawbacks to this offence.
[/quote]
I'm not so sure about that. We were down 22 to zip in PNG and we almost came back and beat em. Scoring 14 points in like 4 or 5 minutes. And we also scored pretty fast in the Livingston game. IMO that's what special about Vidor's team this year is even though we run a grind it out smash mouth offensive scheme we have the ability to score and score quickly if we have to.

[quote name="invictus" post="1117798" timestamp="1321291671"]
Vidor is more about SMART football.  Whatever is needed at the time is what is done.  The coaches prepare and teach the kids well.  And the kids, they execute.  Whatever is needed.
[/quote]

Basically, that's what I'm saying. We controlled the game and the clock. For a professional football team, the Steelers play great defense and mostly smashmouth more than going to a spread offense and throwing forty+ times per game. Besides, they were black and yellow (gold) and I like the similarities. You might like or hate the Steelers but you MUST respect them. I get tired of hearing how much we need to throw the football or go to a spread offense; B.S., the way we play football fits our kids and is winning high school football. When our offense is on the field, the clock is running and some of the other high powered offense (i.e the Walter bros.) are sitting on the bench. Bill Cowher loved to line up with that big running back, run the football and run the clock.

[quote name="invictus" post="1118509" timestamp="1321336556"]
I agree.  No need to throw the football when what you're doing isn't being stopped.  I'm just saying, I believe Vidor could throw the ball if it came down to it.
[/quote]

I guess we're about to find out.  This ain't the 90's anymore, you will have to pass to get through the playoffs.  If Vidor can get by Montgomery's defense I will be impressed.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1118512" timestamp="1321337226"]
[quote author=invictus link=topic=91533.msg1118509#msg1118509 date=1321336556]
I agree.  No need to throw the football when what you're doing isn't being stopped.  I'm just saying, I believe Vidor could throw the ball if it came down to it.
[/quote]

I guess we're about to find out.  This ain't the 90's anymore, you will have to pass to get through the playoffs.  If Vidor can get by Montgomery's defense I will be impressed.
[/quote]

We will see.  As I said on other threads, I'm no blind homer predicting Vidor to win state or anything.  But, they are a good group of kids and they have good coaching.  Anything is possible and I believe in them.  They have a very real chance to win this game.

[quote name="invictus" post="1118712" timestamp="1321370835"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=91533.msg1118512#msg1118512 date=1321337226]
[/quote]

[/quote]

We will see.  As I said on other threads, I'm no blind homer predicting Vidor to win state or anything.  But, they are a good group of kids and they have good coaching.  Anything is possible and I believe in them.  They have a very real chance to win this game.
[/quote]

I believe you, and agree.  They have a chance, but they will need to be on their A-game!

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1118512" timestamp="1321337226"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
456 passing yards on this season. And just another lil tid bit. Vidor beat Crosby without a single completed pass.  :)

[quote name="vp32" post="1119012" timestamp="1321386634"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=91533.msg1118512#msg1118512 date=1321337226]
[/quote]

[/quote]
456 passing yards on this season. And just another lil tid bit. Vidor beat Crosby without a single completed pass.  :)
[/quote]

Crosby isn't close to Montgomery...  I'm eager to see this one.  I've never been to a Vidor game.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1119033" timestamp="1321387645"]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=91533.msg1119012#msg1119012 date=1321386634]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Crosby isn't close to Montgomery...  I'm eager to see this one.  I've never been to a Vidor game.
[/quote]
Just another lil tid bit of info i found out from a friend  ;)

Vidor beat Crosby by 22 points, 42-20. Montgomery beat Crosby by 21 points 49-28. But Montgomery allowed more points than Vidor did.  8)

[quote name="vp32" post="1119037" timestamp="1321387844"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=91533.msg1119033#msg1119033 date=1321387645]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Just another lil tid bit of info i found out from a friend  ;)

Vidor beat Crosby by 22 points, 42-20. Montgomery beat Crosby by 21 points 49-28. But Montgomery allowed more points than Vidor did.  8)
[/quote]

I think Montgomery pulled the starters in the 3rd quarter if I remember correctly.

[quote name="Monkeynuts" post="1119045" timestamp="1321388381"]
Montgomery was ahead 35-14 and played alot of 2nd and 3rd string players in the 4th Qtr. to check out players but left in 1st string offense.  That won't happen in the playoffs.  :)
[/quote]
Vidor was up 35 to 20 in the start of the fourth quarter also and we started to rotate in 2cd and 3rd string guys also but we didn't give up another TD even though they were driving.  :)

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1119033" timestamp="1321387645"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you'll be impressed, I've come away impressed by Vidor's players and fans in the last 4 years and honestly I've never seen them win.

[quote name="Monkeynuts" post="1119064" timestamp="1321389083"]
No excuses we win cause we played good [b]we lose we played bad[/b]. Point being we won without them and are a better team with them healthly. No excuses they don't win games/ players and coaches win games.
[/quote]

Or maybe if you lose, it is because the other team is just better?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed