Stud McGallion

Last night, as I came back from half-time, Coach Stud McGallion was being honored.  I stood and remembered him from way back as a child.  He put together a very nice program in Silsbee like Coaches Hooks and Barbay did.  It's not often you have a long tenure at a school and a program is associated with a name.  For years, when I thought of Silsbee, I quickly thought "McGallion".  Coach McGallion was a fixture in Southeast Texas Football for a long time.  There will come a time that Hooks and Barbay will not mean the same to a new generation like it does to us now.  Same for Stud.  There are no doubt, some from last night who this didn't matter to.  It mattered to me because this man caused Silsbee to be a team to be reckoned with for a long time.  Golden Triangle fans, you ought to remember his name because he mattered in this area once upon a time.  He was a solid coach and I've always heard how much he tried to be a role model to his players.  Congrats to a great legacy.  These guys should not be over-looked just because they "faded away".  They are important to our communities.  I appreciated being able to be there last night and here the name Stud McGallion over the loud-speaker.  Congrats Coach.  I won't forget the Big Names I've had the pleasure to have seen their handy-work....

[quote name="wosmustangs" post="1099358" timestamp="1319931053"]
Last night, as I came back from half-time, Coach Stud McGallion was being honored.  I stood and remembered him from way back as a child.  He put together a very nice program in Silsbee like Coaches Hooks and Barbay did.  It's not often you have a long tenure at a school and a program is associated with a name.  For years, when I thought of Silsbee, I quickly thought "McGallion".  Coach McGallion was a fixture in Southeast Texas Football for a long time.  There will come a time that Hooks and Barbay will not mean the same to a new generation like it does to us now.  Same for Stud.  There are no doubt, some from last night who this didn't matter to.  It mattered to me because this man caused Silsbee to be a team to be reckoned with for a long time.  Golden Triangle fans, you ought to remember his name because he mattered in this area once upon a time.  He was a solid coach and I've always heard how much he tried to be a role model to his players.  Congrats to a great legacy.  These guys should not be over-looked just because they "faded away".  They are important to our communities.  I appreciated being able to be there last night and here the name Stud McGallion over the loud-speaker.  Congrats Coach.  I won't forget the Big Names I've had the pleasure to have seen their handy-work....
[/quote]

Great post, well said.

It was great pleasure watching his sons and daughter accept his Wall of Honor plaque last night. Coach Ray "Stud" McGallion passed away a few years ago and he was a giant in the Silsbee community and school. It was an honor truly deserving.

Stud McGallion is Silsbee football!

Very deserving for him and family. I played against his Silsbee team in 78 in second round where William Arline, Doug Shankle, Craig McGallion and a fast quarterback beat us by 7 in last seconds. Played in all star game with Craig and have crossed paths with the coaching family on and off the past 28 years and have always been impressed by their tremendous character which undoubtedly came from Stud's leadership.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder