Hull-Daisetta vs West Hardin/One of the oldest and biggest rivalries in Texas!

[quote name="knows2much" post="1086085" timestamp="1318874146"]
Burkeville won state in 2000.  Are they a powerhouse today?... The point is the past means absolutely nothing.  I think that just because HD consistently makes the playoffs does NOT mean they have a rich history of winning.  They made the playoffs last year as a 5-5 team.  Average.  Then got destroyed 1st round making them 5-6.  Below average.  Same thing the year before. Consistenly making the playoffs in a weak district just means that you have a history of winning in that district.  HD was beat by Iola this year and Iola doesnt have a chance of making the playoffs.  What does that tell you?..

Back to the point.  Past means nothing.  WH wins this year.

WH 26
HD 14
[/quote]Apparently you don't get it. Yes... we probably don't have a state bound team. But H-D has a team that can beat WH. People that are hating on H-D's tradition, probably fell victim to the Bobcats on a regular basis. If you talk to people around East Texas with football knowledge, they will tell you Hull-Daisetta has a rich strong tradition in highschool football. Most schools over the years just have not made there mark. Teams like WOS, Newton, PNG, LaMarque and Hull-Daisetta have. Bottom line for teams like Hardin, West Hardin, Liberty and many others, is they just have not established a rich and strong tradition of good football. Now... there will be years when these teams will have a single season or two of success, good for them. H-D has and will continue to win and the pride and tradition carries own. So blessed to be an H-D Bobcat.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Joharr73" post="1086950" timestamp="1318959139"]
Ever notice how some of the HD people start sounding like the teacher in the old Peanuts cartoons:

Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah, Wah Wah Wah Wah tradition.    ::) 

Also funny, how we didn't hear any of that stuff until the Bobcats won their last few games.
[/quote]

Thats funny and true (he only shows up when they win)

[quote name="Joharr73" post="1086950" timestamp="1318959139"]
Ever notice how some of the HD people start sounding like the teacher in the old Peanuts cartoons:

Also funny, how we didn't hear any of that stuff until the Bobcats won their last few games.
[/quote]Funny we never hear from you until WH has a winning season, which is very seldom. lol.  :D ;D

[quote name="mfd814" post="1087287" timestamp="1318982173"]
I've seen both teams play.  WH should take this one
[/quote]One month ago WH would have beat H-D hands down. Not the case now, the Bobcats have continued to get better every week and stay healthy. H-D is playing football at a high level and it shows. WH has a very talented athletic team, that may have one of the best Coaching staffs in East Texas. If H-D decides to play man coverage all night vs WH, this game could get ugly. If H-D has two layers of defense(safety back) and not just one layer, we should be fine. I am very impressed with the offensive line play from H-D, we have been dominating on the ground. Seats will be filled with standing room only I'm sure!!

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1087315" timestamp="1318984831"]
[quote author=Joharr73 link=topic=89929.msg1086950#msg1086950 date=1318959139]

[/quote]Funny we never hear from you until WH has a winning season, which is very seldom. lol.  :D ;D
[/quote]

Huh, that's weird...  I've been on here for 4 years now, guess you have selective memory!  You & I have definately had our back & forths through these years.  Some of it was entertaining, love getting ya'll fired up.

Unfortunately this will be my last year on SETXsports, my youngest is a Senior & I live nowhere near close enough to go out  there after this years over with.  Actually looking forward to not making those 2 to 3 hour drives for a game.

We'll see about your dominating O-Line & ground game Friday night!  West Sabine and much of public opinion thought they had an unstoppable offense too, not so much against us.  Turnovers gave them that game.  We clean up our game, hands down a onesided affair in our favor!

The talk is all talk. A few years back an undefeated west hardin team drove into daisetta and left no longer undefeated. Tradition means nothing becuase its this years football team. They arent the same teams as they were back then, nor the same coaching staff. I think its gonna be alot tougher of a game than west hardin thinks. Its never easy to play in the swamp. On paper, West hardin should win running away with it. On the field though, it doesnt seem to work that way. It should be a great game, especially if daisetta doesnt fumble the game away as they tend to do in big games.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1087315" timestamp="1318984831"]

[/quote]

Actually, we hear from him when WH wins and when they lose.  In fact I think he does put up alot of pictures from the WH sporting events on here for everyone to enjoy (He even includes pictures of your bobcats).  You pop up only on winning situations and if the bobcats lose, you don't show up for days.  So I think he has the edge on you right now.  ;D

[quote name="TAMU" post="1087671" timestamp="1319042751"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=89929.msg1087315#msg1087315 date=1318984831]

[/quote]

Actually, we hear from him when WH wins and when they lose.  In fact I think he does put up alot of pictures from the WH sporting events on here for everyone to enjoy (He even includes pictures of your bobcats).  You pop up only on winning situations and if the bobcats lose, you don't show up for days.  So I think he has the edge on you right now.  ;D
[/quote]

Thanks TAMU & I'll be snapping some photos from this game too.  You think a football game is fun to watch from the stands, the sidelines are awesome.  Not so much for just hearing the coaches & players, but the sounds of the actual game are great.

And I'll answer Football's question about the coaching staff too.  Coaches Henry & Pickens both came over from Hull-Daisetta for last years season where they had spent a few years coaching the Bobcats before us.  There is some good knowledge of the coaches and respect from the Bobcat community.  I personally dont know Coach Slack, but I think he's a really good coach and cares about his players a lot.  Same can be said about Coach Henry, he graduated from West Hardin, it's home and people are very close in that area.

I can agree with that JH.  But dont most coaches care about their kids.  They certainly are not doing it for the money and they spend a lot of time away from their families.  What makes them the best? Record? College opp. for players? Life lessons? Just trying to get a read on why the best and if other coaching staffs need to copy what they are doing.

[quote name="football" post="1087763" timestamp="1319050349"]
I can agree with that JH.  But dont most coaches care about their kids.  They certainly are not doing it for the money and they spend a lot of time away from their families.  What makes them the best? Record? College opp. for players? Life lessons? Just trying to get a read on why the best and if other coaching staffs need to copy what they are doing.
[/quote] 

Most coaches do care about their players, but I've seen a few that look like their doing it just for the power or the stipend pay.  As far as what makes a great coach; the ability to get players to improve and effective changes on the fly when things go wrong, winning and the ability to get more kids to come out for athletics.  I've been witness to students not wanting to play a sport just because of who the coach was.

That could be answered with multiple comments, I suppose it depends on the level of the program.  1A has a totally different set issues to work with than say a 4 or 5A program.

I think it's funny how Joharr always wants to talk smack about H-D Bobcat 55, but when I have said great things about the WH football team and their Coaches, Joharr says nothing.  ??? On the WH Coaches comment, it is just my opinion and I hope that when Joharr commented on that subject it was his own personal opinion and he was not trying to speak for me. Furthermore, if you are a regular on here you would know, I always congratulate the teams we play even if we lose.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1088066" timestamp="1319079135"]
I think it's funny how Joharr always wants to talk smack about H-D Bobcat 55, but when I have said great things about the WH football team and their Coaches, Joharr says nothing.  ??? On the WH Coaches comment, it is just my opinion and I hope that when Joharr commented on that subject it was his own personal opinion and he was not trying to speak for me. Furthermore, if you are a regular on here you would know, I always congratulate the teams we play even if we lose.
[/quote]

Dude, what the heck are you talking about?  Would you like a thank you or something?

Ever notice that I don't talk bad about any of the programs, that's right, not even your beloved Bobcats!  My boy has several friends at that school, the hated rivalry is gone.  Now it's more of a good rivalry that both towns look forward to every year.

As far as talking smack on you, GUILTY as charged, you make too easy with your absurd comments thoughout the years.  Hey, your a proud fan & you should be.  Just think, you only have to read my comments for the remainder of this year.

On the coaches comments, hopefully we're not too far off on the opinions.  Feel free to answer FOOTBALL's question that he directed to you originally.  I curious as to how far off I am about your thoughts on Coaches Henry & Pickens.

I personally think hiring Coach Henry was wonderful and a needed change for my Oilers.

Let's here it HD55!

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1088066" timestamp="1319079135"]
[/quote]

Really! No I mean Really!, i read what Joharr posted about coaches and basically anything else.  I think he was actually giving Coach Slack a compliment, but its hard to say anything good about you 55 when you do nothing but basically bash everyone and everybody.  I will give you props though, you do say some good things, just not enough to out weigh all of the negatives.

[quote name="TAMU" post="1088143" timestamp="1319114571"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=89929.msg1088066#msg1088066 date=1319079135]
[/quote]

Really! No I mean Really!, i read what Joharr posted about coaches and basically anything else.  I think he was actually giving Coach Slack a compliment, but its hard to say anything good about you 55 when you do nothing but basically bash everyone and everybody.  I will give you props though, you do say some good things, just not enough to out weigh all of the negatives.
[/quote]Fair enough... thanks.

[quote name="Joharr73" post="1088102" timestamp="1319089741"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=89929.msg1088066#msg1088066 date=1319079135]
[/quote]

Dude, what the heck are you talking about?  Would you like a thank you or something?

Ever notice that I don't talk bad about any of the programs, that's right, not even your beloved Bobcats!  My boy has several friends at that school, the hated rivalry is gone.  Now it's more of a good rivalry that both towns look forward to every year.

As far as talking smack on you, GUILTY as charged, you make too easy with your absurd comments thoughout the years.  Hey, your a proud fan & you should be.  Just think, you only have to read my comments for the remainder of this year.

On the coaches comments, hopefully we're not too far off on the opinions.  Feel free to answer FOOTBALL's question that he directed to you originally.  I curious as to how far off I am about your thoughts on Coaches Henry & Pickens.

I personally think hiring Coach Henry was wonderful and a needed change for my Oilers.

Let's here it HD55!
[/quote]"[glow=red,2,300]The hated rivalry is gone[/glow]" what are you smoking!! Heck no it ain't!! You are right, you don't live near these two communities. This game makes the winners YEAR!! It's like a superbowl to these communities!! On the field these players hate each other, but after the game they are friends. It was the same when I played against Thad LaNormand, William Price, Bubba Guidry, Marty Lofton, Corey Mosley, Matt West and Randall Brown. All these men were my friends until we took the field on friday night. Also these WH men listed above are some of the best men you will ever meet, I am friends with most of them today. The heated rivalry is alive and well!!! GO BOBCATS!

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1088715" timestamp="1319158150"]
[quote author=Joharr73 link=topic=89929.msg1088102#msg1088102 date=1319089741]
[/quote]

Let's here it HD55!
[/quote]"[glow=red,2,300]The hated rivalry is gone[/glow]" what are you smoking!! Heck no it ain't!! You are right, you don't live near these two communities. This game makes the winners YEAR!! It's like a superbowl to these communities!! On the field these players hate each other, but after the game they are friends. It was the same when I played against Thad LaNormand, William Price, Bubba Guidry, Marty Lofton, Corey Mosley, Matt West and Randall Brown. All these men were my friends until we took the field on friday night. Also these WH men listed above are some of the best men you will ever meet, I am friends with most of them today. The heated rivalry is alive and well!!! GO BOBCATS!
[/quote]

First, I have no idea who any of these people are and it doesn't mean anything to me.  When did you play 20, 30 or 40 years ago, how does that relate to todays teams?

Secondly, I did live in Batson & then moved to La Porte. 

Third, every team hates the other opponent during the game, how is that different just for WH vs HD.

Fourth, as usual, you are all over the place in your comments.  Bring it down a little, no need to get worked up over a sports forum comment.

Finally, you still have not answered the question about the coaches, so lets hear your take on why YOU think their great.  Since I wasn't speaking for you and all.

[quote name="Joharr73" post="1088798" timestamp="1319162632"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=89929.msg1088715#msg1088715 date=1319158150]
[quote author=Joharr73 link=topic=89929.msg1088102#msg1088102 date=1319089741]
[/quote]

Let's here it HD55!
[/quote]

First, I have no idea who any of these people are and it doesn't mean anything to me.  When did you play 20, 30 or 40 years ago, how does that relate to todays teams?

Secondly, I did live in Batson & then moved to La Porte. 

Third, every team hates the other opponent during the game, how is that different just for WH vs HD.

Fourth, as usual, you are all over the place in your comments.  Bring it down a little, no need to get worked up over a sports forum comment.

Finally, you still have not answered the question about the coaches, so lets hear your take on why YOU think their great.  Since I wasn't speaking for you and all.
[/quote]Wow! I have been going back and forth with a fake Oiler! lol. LaPorte!! Now I see why you say the things you do. lol.  ;D

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1088899" timestamp="1319168103"]
Wow! I have been going back and forth with a fake Oiler! lol. LaPorte!!
[/quote]

55, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but you CANNOT say Joharr is a "fake Oiler". He is:

1) From WH
2) Has kids there, and
3) is probably THE most passionate WH fan on this board.

Y'all can smack all you want, but he is NOT "fake", not by a long shot. People have to move to work sometimes, but that does not change their allegiances. Incidentally, one of the greatest Anahuac fans here is in North Dakota, fer cryin' out loud!      :o

Man, it's gettin' deep around here I'd say. I'm not getting into any of this other than to say a few things. HDBobcats55 is the most passionate HD Bobcat fan out there. He does come across in the wrong way to alot of people, but that's just who he is. It's hard to "play nice" when you are that passionate about something. I have seen Joharr and HD55 both give props to each others teams over the years, and have seen both of them come across somewhat bitter after a defeat. That's just the nature of the beast. I appreciate both of their comments and input on this forum and it makes for good reading material and interesting entertainment.

On another note, I do think that this rivalry is as heated, hated and intense as it's always been. I played against all the same guys that 55 mentioned from 7th-12th grade..... we beat them every year until our senior year, and it was crazy in Batson/Saratoga after that game. What I'm saying is that kids are gonna be friends and respect each other, most likely more than the fans and parents in the stands, but in this game, it's something different. It's bragging rights for a year between two communities only minutes apart. The same oil fields, the same vacuum trucks, the same drive to the deer lease or WalMart. This is important for two tiny communities that don't have a whole lot more going for them. I'm from HD and I will always be a Bobcat. My kindergarden teacher told our class on the first day of school that you are Bobcats.... and it's not alright to lose to West Hardin. That's just how it is. You can throw the records out every year, because it's new blood, new leadership, and new talent.... but it's the same old goal..... win it for your town.

HD does have a long and prideful history of tradition. Maybe they've been mediocre on the field for the last 15yrs or more, but that doesn't change the way the kids look at it. West Hardin comes into this game wanting to be that team that beats HD. The team that puts those loud mouth smack talkers in their place and shuts them up. HD comes into this game expecting to win. It's what we do against WH. It doesn't matter if WH is 8-1 and HD is 2-7..... the Bobcats expect to win, and it shows on Friday nights. It's a mental edge that HD has over WH. Just like Groveton and Alto had HD's number in the playoffs year after year, HD was behind before the opening kickoff because of the history and intimidation those teams had over us.

We will see tonight. I think WH may be the more talented team, but that doesn't mean anything come 7:30 at Bobcat Stadium. HD puts West Hardin out of the playoffs tonight in hard fought, intense, well played game. Good luck to both teams and I'll be the first to congratulate the Oilers if they pull out the win.

Hull-Daisetta - 26
West Hardin  - 18

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder