Question about full speed full contact practice

kville

I just want to ask for general opinions on practices. I am not judging I just want to hear what  "the norm" is.  I never remember having practice without full pads after initial summer practices. I never remember running anything accept full speed and full contact (obviously not trying to hurt your own player). I do remember running wind sprints the final part of practice until someone threw up. I know that was more than a few years ago but have things changed that much? I am suprised to see players practicing in shorts at this point.

Another issue to look at is the new concussion state laws. If a player takes a hit to the head and gets knocked a little dingy. They go through a concussion protocal. After you have travled to several doctors and none of them will even think of signing off on them due to they are scared to get sued. You do physical and computerized tests. Then once you pass all this. You can start the back to practice protocal. which is a five day protocal. You add all that time up and you are in your second week without any play time. And thats the new laws . We have  been through it . And if it happens in practice.  Same protocal.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1055933" timestamp="1315930382"]
Usually shorts/shoulder pads on Thursday from what I've seen. Also, I think there is more teaching of technique nowdays where there may not be as much full speed as in the past. Wind sprints are nothing like they use to be I promise!
[/quote]

I can see the Thursday thing. Better to limit injury risks the day before the game and be mentaly prepared, working on opposing teams formations ect.  I passed two different teams yesterday after work practicing kind of half speed in shorts and I just wondered.

I'm 100% for full contact/full speed practice.  You can't ask a young man to go half speed in practice then go full speed in a game.  You can't ask a young man to pull up in practice then ask him to make a tackle in a game.  Treat Monday-Wednesday practice like a game situation, then have a light practice or walk through on Thursday.

[quote name="Ty Cobb" post="1055953" timestamp="1315931499"]
I'm 100% for full contact/full speed practice.  You can't ask a young man to go half speed in practice then go full speed in a game.  You can't ask a young man to pull up in practice then ask him to make a tackle in a game.  Treat Monday-Wednesday practice like a game situation, then have a light practice or walk through on Thursday.
[/quote]
I agree.  You also cant ask them to go against JV speed Monday-Wednesday.  It causes slow starts in games.......it takes two quarters to catch up.

[quote name="Ty Cobb" post="1055953" timestamp="1315931499"]
[/quote]

I agree, that is the way it was done when I played. JMO but it made us tougher and more conditioned. I also don't see many wrap up anymore.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83