West: Cubs don't wanna change the date of the Lamar Consolidated game again

Article from the Banner Press.

West: Cubs don’t want to change date of Lamar Consolidated ballgame again

By RICHARD BRAY/Sports Editor
Published:
Friday, July 22, 2011 2:42 PM CDT

Brenham High School football coach Glen West doesn’t know if the NCAA will allow the Longhorn Network to broadcast the Cubs’ game against Lamar Consolidated High School.

Actually, he doesn’t care whether the game is broadcast on the fledgling network at all. He just wants the game to be played on Sept. 1, as it is currently scheduled.

Brenham announced last week that it had moved its game against Lamar Consolidated from Sept. 3 ahead two days to accommodate the Longhorn Network, the joint venture between the University of Texas and ESPN. But in the interim, the network has come under fire as critics charge that airing high school football games would give the University of Texas a recruiting advantage and violate NCAA rules.

West said this morning that he does not know whether the Longhorn Network will follow through with its plans to air the game, but he has already signed a contract allowing the network to broadcast the contest. He said ESPN told him on Wednesday that it intended to officially announce the game this weekend at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention in Fort Worth.

But those plans may be in limbo as the network discusses its plans with both the NCAA and the Big 12 Conference. Regardless of whether the Longhorn Network is allowed to air high school sports, West wants to keep Brenham’s game against Lamar Consolidated scheduled for Sept. 1.

“Our whole thing since the get-go is that we don’t like playing Labor Day weekend on a Saturday,” West said. “We don’t think the crowd will be very good and it messes with the next week. There’s just not anybody in Brenham excited about playing a Saturday game Sept. 3.”

The game was originally scheduled for Saturday because Fort Bend ISD features multiple high schools sharing a stadium and as the home team, Fort Bend ISD selected which of its games would be played Friday and which would be played Saturday. The game was then moved to Thursday at the Longhorn Network’s request.

Brenham will begin practices on Aug. 1, and will be allowed to practice in pads beginning Aug. 5.

Graduated defensive back Rodney Hubert will be playing in the THSCA all-star football game Tuesday night, and on Monday night graduated Brenham High School basketball player Deonnte Breedlove will play in the THSCA all-star basketball game.

Lamar Consolidated is not in the Ft. Bend ISD, but rather the Lamar CISD which also includes Richmond Foster, Rosenberg Terry and George Ranch.

And while I understand and agree with Coach West's misgivings about playing a Saturday game, I've seen a few Brenham games and I have never seen them have a problem with crowd support, regardless of date, time or venue.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1027946" timestamp="1311607000"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=85991.msg1027871#msg1027871 date=1311559145]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=85991.msg1027842#msg1027842 date=1311550918]
UT nauseates me.    >:(
[/quote]

You and me both!  :-\
[/quote]they please me.  ;D
[/quote]

You and me both!  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member