IS Select Baseball "WORTH" The investment?

[quote name="TX_RENEGADES" post="1146493" timestamp="1323921435"]

Great point. But Ultimaly is up to the Parent...  Now way in heck my kids will more than 100 pitches in a weekend. Period.....

Parents who let their kids (under 16) throw 100+ pitches and curve balls are idiots.

No exceptions.
[/quote]

You are right, its up to the parent but I can tell you that if a select/Elite.Premier PITCHER 16 & Under or example my boy being 11u doesnt have a max of 3/4 pitches he will not make it as a top pitcher. My son has 4 pitches and his curve ball is the KILL shot. I always keep track of his pitches though, never gets close to 65.
[/quote]

So I have to completely disagree. No junk balls until 16 or 17.

I feel like a kid should be taught ball placement / control vs junk balls.

Any "Professionals" like to elaborate on this critical topic. I feel like pitching is the main area LL complains about.

Guest TX_RENEGADES
Introducing junk pitches and making sure they locate/control those junk pitches to a 16 or 17 yr old, is like showing them how to play ball again. Everyone has there own opinions, I know how to control and limit my boy to save his arm, plus work outs on arm on how to get it stronger.

has to have 4 pitches at 11 years old to be successful?  I've known guys that most would consider quite succesful make a living throwing primarily fastball change-up.  Change-up needs to be the first off speed learned.  I agree though 16 is a little late to start learning the wrinkle, but based on development 13-14 can start mixing in a curve or slider.

Guest UHCoog14
Fastball, change-up, drop (same action as a curve, but without the arm action. It's the improper arm action that will destroy a career.)

After that the three most improtant factors are :

Location, location, location.

Learn to hit your spots.

There is more to baseball than just pitching.

Select is BY FAR the best option. You just have to get with a coach that parent and player are comfortable with.

Guest TX_RENEGADES
I agree .......... location location location........... Teaching a 16 yr old how to throw a curve ball and to find the spot will be hard. If you start at an early age but limit the amount of junk pitches thrown you will be okay. I guess people have different way of looking at it, if your strong point is based of LL you will have a hard time pitching in a select/elite level. I been around select for about 5 yrs and a good LL pitcher gets knocked around like if it was batting practice, I seen it and Im currently working on that now with some of my kids on my team. Im not talking down or saying they can not pitch in select, Im just stating that a batter in select/elite are expecting fastball n change up and can hit those pitches. You get a kid that can throw a slurve, curve,knuckle,slider as a 3rd pitch or 4th pitch then you have an option on jammin the batter or K him. All coaches are different and all teams play different. Im all about saving the kids arms, in my team each pitcher throws a max of 2 innings on Saturdays and then 3 or 4 on Sundays.

[quote name="westend1" post="1146211" timestamp="1323883068"]
All depends on how the league is run and how much community involvement you have.  i can assure you that Bridge City and West End have competitive league games.  The pitchers you see at West End are also pitching at Ford park on the weekends when schedules allow.
[/quote]

Westend, I agree to a point...I know Wend End, BC and Sour Lake are known for their stong LL programs. My city would not make the top 10 I'm sad to say.

And my point was not to put down LL, it has it's place, but to comment on what a difference select was as far as coaching and talent......Didn't see anyone playing with the grass in any of the two tourmanents......

[quote name="Bobcat101" post="1147193" timestamp="1324056273"]
I think like all activities, as parents we'll never know if it's was "Worth" it until our kids grow up and we are told by our kids if it was worth it.
[/quote]Dang Bobcat! Thats too late. By that time they are either mad at us or happy ;D

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1147212" timestamp="1324058277"]
[quote author=Bobcat101 link=topic=84682.msg1147193#msg1147193 date=1324056273]
I think like all activities, as parents we'll never know if it's was "Worth" it until our kids grow up and we are told by our kids if it was worth it.
[/quote]Dang Bobcat! Thats too late. By that time they are either mad at us or happy ;D
[/quote]

I know my son LOVES it........and thats all that matters......

and for those that are bringing in Pitch count.....the select level pitcher is not going to throw 70 pitches in one or two innings like some LL pitchers....

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1147223" timestamp="1324058918"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=84682.msg1147212#msg1147212 date=1324058277]
[/quote]

I know my son LOVES it........and thats all that matters......

and for those that are bringing in Pitch count.....the select level pitcher is not going to throw 70 pitches in one or two innings like some LL pitchers....
[/quote]You tell'em Hippy :)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1147212" timestamp="1324058277"]
[/quote]

That's my whole point. My best Friend that "thought" is daughter LOVED basketball only to find out that his daughter only played because she thought that was he wanted. He coached her to 2 National Championships in Little Dribblers and multipal finials between 7-12.  So at the end of HS, she had a full ride to UH, Baylor and UT but never wanted to see a basketball again in her life.

If you think it can't happen to you, it might not but it happen it to him.

Just a thought about if select is worth it.

[quote name="Bobcat101" post="1147351" timestamp="1324067398"]
[/quote]

That's my whole point. My best Friend that [b]"thought" is daughter LOVED basketball [/b] only to find out that his daughter only played because she thought that was he wanted. He coached her to 2 National Championships in Little Dribblers and multipal finials between 7-12.  So at the end of HS, she had a full ride to UH, Baylor and UT but never wanted to see a basketball again in her life.

[b]Just a thought about if select is worth it.[/b][/quote]

I have two thoughts on this:

1.  This is a baseball thread and not a basketball thread  ;D

2.  Could that not happen in LL?  What you described could happen in ANY sport, like basketball  ;).  Also, that has little to do with select and more to do with raising a child.  A parent has to let his child play sports for the right reasons.  Every sport my Son joins, he is asked by me if he wants to participate. He sat out a baseball season 2 years ago because he said he was wore out. I said OK and life was good. I have never forced or suggested my Son has to play.  When HE quits asking to play, I'll quit writing the checks.........

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1147374" timestamp="1324069485"]
[quote author=Bobcat101 link=topic=84682.msg1147351#msg1147351 date=1324067398]
[/quote]

That's my whole point. My best Friend that [b]"thought" is daughter LOVED basketball [/b] only to find out that his daughter only played because she thought that was he wanted. He coached her to 2 National Championships in Little Dribblers and multipal finials between 7-12.  So at the end of HS, she had a full ride to UH, Baylor and UT but never wanted to see a basketball again in her life.

2.  Could that not happen in LL?  What you described could happen in ANY sport, like basketball  ;).  Also, that has little to do with select and more to do with raising a child.  A parent has to let his child play sports for the right reasons.  Every sport my Son joins, he is asked by me if he wants to participate. He sat out a baseball season 2 years ago because he said he was wore out. I said OK and life was good. I have never forced or suggested my Son has to play.  When HE quits asking to play, I'll quit writing the checks.........
[/quote] You are The Tin Man! You found a heart! :o

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1147436" timestamp="1324072134"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=84682.msg1147374#msg1147374 date=1324069485]
[/quote]

[/quote] You are The Tin Man! You found a heart! :o
[/quote]

:P

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1147374" timestamp="1324069485"]
[/quote]

2.  [b]Could that not happen in LL?  What you described could happen in ANY sport, like basketball  ;).  Also, that has little to do with select and more to do with raising a child.  A parent has to let his child play sports for the right reasons.  Every sport my Son joins, he is asked by me if he wants to participate. He sat out a baseball season 2 years ago because he said he was wore out. I said OK and life was good. I have never forced or suggested my Son has to play.  When HE quits asking to [/b] [b]play, I'll quit writing the checks.........[/b][/quote]

More parents should adhere to this philosophy....
well said.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder