Question for BrenhamFan

I saw that the Brenham/Magnolia series will be played at "Mumford."  Now I have heard of some very out of the way places, but never Mumford. 

I looked up on google maps and found a Mumford which is a 1A school about 15 miles northwest of Bryan.  Is that really the Mumford that they are talking about?  If so, why the heck are they playing there?

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="time2time" post="1015401" timestamp="1306850742"]
Apparently Mumford High has a new, beautiful sports complex largely donated by John Randle (of Vikings fame).
[/quote]

But it's still 1A. But, baseball is one of the few varsity sports they offer.

[quote name="UHCoog14" post="1015403" timestamp="1306850999"]
[quote author=time2time link=topic=84671.msg1015401#msg1015401 date=1306850742]
Apparently Mumford High has a new, beautiful sports complex largely donated by John Randle (of Vikings fame).
[/quote]

[/quote]I would not care if it was 1A or 5A.... if the field is nice and has the seating..... why not.... classifications dont mean you have a great field... trust me, I know a lot of 4A and 5A schools that fields are really bad...

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1015377" timestamp="1306844065"]
I saw that the Brenham/Magnolia series will be played at "Mumford."  Now I have heard of some very out of the way places, but never Mumford.  

I looked up on google maps and found a Mumford which is a 1A school about 15 miles northwest of Bryan.  Is that really the Mumford that they are talking about?  If so, why the heck are they playing there?
[/quote]

Ya, I can't believe it either!   I will be there very early to get a seat....   I know that for sure!  Well not sure how many spectators from other schools will be traveling that far out of the way to a 1A school.  Hopefully the coaches know what they are doing...  I also hope Long keeps the batting order the way he did in game 3 against Santa Fe.  Those changes were great, and helped us put up 18 runs.  Atleast there's no traffic from Brenham to Mumford! ;) :D

Article from Banner Press...

We almost got Minute Maid, but ended up with Mumford.... ??? ::) :-\
Can you say disappointment!

[b]Regional finals to be hosted by Mumford

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:15 PM CDT
The Brenham Cubs and Magnolia Bulldogs looked at playing their regional championship series at some of the biggest venues around, including Minute Maid Park, but will instead determine the Class 4A Region III championship at Mumford High School.

Brenham (34-6-1) coach Jim Long said the teams looked at holding the best-of-three series at several collegiate stadiums, including Texas A&M, Sam Houston State and Rice, but none of those facilities could accommodate the series, and Minute Maid Park wasn’t available because the Houston Astros were inviting potential draftees to the stadium that weekend for workouts.

So instead, the Cubs and Bulldogs will meet Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Mumford, a Class A school that features a $4 million facility. All three games are scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

Long warned that the stadium includes seating for just 750, so fans should come early and bring lawn chairs.

The Cubs are attempting to make their third consecutive appearance in the UIL State Baseball Championships after defeating Santa Fe in a three-game series over the weekend. Brenham won the first game 14-5 but lost Game 2 by a 1-0 score. The Cubs won the rubber game 18-7.

Magnolia, which finished second to Brenham in District 17-4A, is coming off a sweep of Friendswood. Brenham defeated Magnolia 7-1 and 4-2 during district play.

[/b]

Seating for 750, huh?  Let's just say it is a good thing that Coach Long has continued the Cubs' winning ways or I would warn him that he might want to wear asbestos lined underwear for the next few days. LOL!

From the Banner article, I noted that Cougar Field at UH wasn't mentioned....I know the Cubs have played there in the past and I think they could accommodate a series.  I guess I shouldn't question two coaches who have managed to get their teams to a regional final, but the choice at this point kinda baffles me.  

[quote name="hitman009" post="1015443" timestamp="1306861191"]
[quote author=UHCoog14 link=topic=84671.msg1015403#msg1015403 date=1306850999]
[/quote]

[/quote]I would not care if it was 1A or 5A.... if the field is nice and has the seating..... why not.... classifications dont mean you have a great field... trust me, I know a lot of 4A and 5A schools that fields are really bad...
[/quote]

Does not have the seating, seats 750 - that is of course tine and the fan interaction could be a problem with this rivalry.

[quote name="fwstangs" post="1015658" timestamp="1306938957"]
[quote author=hitman009 link=topic=84671.msg1015443#msg1015443 date=1306861191]
[quote author=UHCoog14 link=topic=84671.msg1015403#msg1015403 date=1306850999]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Does not have the seating, seats 750 - that is of course tine and the fan interaction could be a problem with this rivalry.
[/quote]

Exactly what I think...  Security will probably be extremely heavy.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder