New rule sends Silsbee, LC-M athletes to state track meet

I like the new rule as well, but what some people forget is that you truly can't look at each time compared to each region because of wind, temperature, and any other factors that affect races.  Some people could have been running into the wind and some with. 

Just think not to long ago they only took 2 from each district to regionals.  UIL is definitely making some improvements.  Last year coaches were told that all classifications were more than likely going to have an AREA meet after district like the 1A classification, but haven't heard anything recently.

[quote name="Kris_Gilmore" post="1007909" timestamp="1304948590"]
I like the new rule as well, but what some people forget is that you truly can't look at each time compared to each region because of wind, temperature, and any other factors that affect races.  Some people could have been running into the wind and some with. 

Just think not to long ago they only took 2 from each district to regionals.  UIL is definitely making some improvements.  Last year coaches were told that all classifications were more than likely going to have an AREA meet after district like the 1A classification, but haven't heard anything recently.
[/quote]

Good point on the conditions. There's no perfect way, but sending one extra helps a little with regions that are loaded in different events.

How many do the smaller classes send to area.

[quote name="oldollie" post="1007976" timestamp="1304957112"]
I agree about the conditions- Sezar ran in horrible conditions, very cold and windy!! But going by the next best times is the only way to name the next person after the top 2.
[/quote]

Actually, the finals were ran in beautiful conditions. Low-mid 70's and not a cloud in the sky. Prelims were nasty though. He was impressive and certainly deserves his trip. Congrats to him.

Yeah you are right, The prelims were so bad that was what was on my mind!! ;D But playoff football games, some are played in rain or wind that affects teams, and baseball the wind blowing in or out affects teams, so conditions play a part in all high school sports.

[quote name="oldollie" post="1008006" timestamp="1304959532"]
Yeah you are right, The prelims were so bad that was what was on my mind!! ;D But playoff football games, some are played in rain or wind that affects teams, and baseball the wind blowing in or out affects teams, so conditions play a part in all high school sports.
[/quote]

That's an unfair comparison. In those sports you are not judged on time. Track is strictly time or length.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder