Lamar vs UTSA

In my personal opinion this would be a pretty strong team had all the pitching been healthy all season with a legitimate shot at the top 2 or 3 teams in the regular season.  I really think pitching was going to be this team's strength and now pitching is average at best, not because the guys going aren't the top arms but because there is no depth and those remaining aren't the top arms.

[quote name="basketball25" post="1002098" timestamp="1303754149"]
I mean is this what Lamar Baseball as come down too!!!lets barley get in the conference tourney and have hope of winning it and going to regionals, Lamar Baseball program shouldn't being regressing!!! it should be progressing, I really believe there should be a change Gilligan used to be one of the best coaches in the nation but I feel his time as come.... yes anything can happen but Lamar baseball shouldn't be in this situation they should be top 3 in the conference each and every yr!!!!
[/quote]

I agree.  Is it good enough now to squeak into the conference tournament, accidently win and then get immediately ousted from a regional now?  There was a day not too long ago when Lamar was expected to go to the NCAA.  Once we got there, the players EXPECTED  to win, if not the regional, at least a game or two.  Now we are scratching and clawing through conference in hopes of getting a 7 or 8 seed in the SLC tournament???  I for one wasn't impressed with last year's results, even though LU caught fire for one 4 day span and won the tourney.  That was obviously a fluke, and I would wager a month's salary, won't happen again.  I'm not necessarily saying Gilligan needs to go, but I certainly think it needs to be given strong consideration.  I am fully appreciative of all he has done for LU, but we are going backwards now.  It seems that almost every other team in the conference is moving forward with their program, and we, under Gilligans leadership are, at best, treading water.  We have a bunch of average  players.  The pitching corps was going to be our best chance at success, and it has been decimated by injury.  Gilligans fault?  I don't know, but he is the pitching guru. something has to change or we will be relegated to a bottom of the conference finish each year.

The baseball team has a good coach, no a Texas Hall of Fame coach.  I've read all the post that it is time for Lamar to make a change.  How Florida State got rid of Bowden and Lamar should do the same with Gilligan.  Guess what Lamar is not Florida State and not in the ACC.  Lamar is in the Southland where Hall of Fame coaches are HARD to find.  Just look at the list of coaches that LU had to choose from in BASKETBALL.  A real who's who of ......... WHO?!?!?! I have seen the Bowden reference on here a couple of times but there is another side of that coin.  Joe Paterno after back to back losing seasons (3-9 & 4-7) you were hearing the same thing.  The next season they went 11-1 and were number 3 in the nation.  (NIDTGWGUT#3)

Another point about coaches, just ask Jerry Jones how EASY it is to find a Championship caliber coach. 

A championship caliber coach hasn't been Jerry's priority.   I hope Tidwell's and Simmon's is.   I'm not saying Gilligan is the problem, but he has to part of it.  This is his program...has been for over 30 yrs....and it is stagnant.   Where are the players?  Have you looked at the all-conference teams lately?  You have to go a long ways down the list to find many Cardinals.  With the exception of the usual above average pitcher or two,
(all of which are injured this season) the talent isn't there.  And that IS Gilligan"s fault.  Talent wins games, and we don't have it.  

When Gilligan does go, they need to look outside the program also. Ricklefsen is Gilligan's asst head coach, his top recruiter....and like I said, the talent ain't there.  Ricklefsen needs to be held responsible too.  He doesn't need the job handed to him.  They need to look far and wide for a top caliber coach, not just rubberstamp Ricklefsen. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder