BH 28 Galena Park 22 Final In OT/Comments

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats SFA on your daughters going to Central and making you proud. But honestly, if they're not suiting up on the varsity football team, I really don't see how you're doing squat about Central beating BH. Now, if your boys played on Central's varsity football team, then by all means, you would have room to sqwawk.

Seriously SFA, just raggin you a bit. I'm sure your daughters are great athletes in their own right and you deserve to be a proud pappa!

Let's just hope for a safe, injury free game next week.

Peace Out!

Guest PurplePride

:D Hey Eagles, I am so hoping we play in Pasadena on the same day, back to back games! That would be GREAT! We would make Wadzek keep KSHN on air! :D

Yall are hearing the smack again and so are we.... :roll: Jealousy brings out the ugly in losers, unfortunately..... :lol:

GO BRONCOS AND EAGLES! :D

Just go back from the game and I can't talk and I'm soaking wet!!!! I would do it for 10 more hours if I had too. BH down by 22 at the half and coming back like that is awesome. These Eagles have so much heart I just can'believe what I just saw!!! I hope BH can come with a better game plan than they did to this one, After many adjustments BH came to life!! GP is tough and there Coaches came in with an awesome game plan!! 10-0 baby!!!!!!!!! Central is next and will bring it to the Eagles they have a great QB and supporting staff!!!! Should be a low scoring slug fest!!! Goodluck Eagles celebrate your well earned District Championship tonight and then back to business!!

Just back too and just as wet!...what a game! GP absolutely out prepared us for this one but thank goodness we made adjustments at half. GP's QB is just about the best athlete we have seen.

Eagles easily had more penalties in this game than at least all of the district schedule combined, but GP absolutely domintated in the first half plus two blown shotgun snaps hurt us terribly in the first half.

I give HUGE credit to the fans as well, staying through the rain, lightning and an hour (?) delay to cheer them on to victory. Way to go Fans and way to EAGLES...

Yea we may be all wet but I feel Sorry for any one who missed this one. The boys whipped GP, A chicken lighting delay, a sorry officiating crew and anything else that got in the way. By far one of the best BH games ever played. 32 put the world on his shoulders and became the leader we hoped he would tonight. Anyone who wants to rain on the BH parade tonight just get over it. These boys did it all tonight and at least 80% of the fans woke up. Feeling pretty good right now so all of the East of the Trinity haters do your thing but you can not steal what we witnessed tonight.

Great game Eagles! It's hard to put in words how we feel about this team. Ya'll overcame a lot tonight to pull out this win, and we couldn't be more proud. Way to go team.

Hey SFA85, since your bringing up the past, let's go back to 1985. SFA is ranked, I believe, #7 in the state, I doubt BH was even in the top 50. Ya'll came over to play us, and were supposed to wipe the field with us. As I remember you came over on a chartered bus. We beat ya'll that night 7 to 0, and pretty much owned ya'll all night. SFA had a chance to score when they got the ball down to our 10 yard line with around a minute left to play, we hold them on four downs and take the game. The greatest game I ever played in.

None of that matters now, what matters now is our Eagles are district champs first year in 4a. GO EAGLES!

Guest CougarPride

and everybody thought this game was going to be a romp. I knew that Gp was going to give BHill all they wanted. Great Comeback though Bhill. we got the tough draws with Central and Dayton and when there is only 1 point seperating the two of those schools they are both going to be good. Do you know were yall are playing at yet. Iknow we are going to play on turf somewhere with both of our home field beings turf I doubt we play a playoff game on grass

BH wraps up perfect regular season

By Mike Finley

Baytown Sun

Published November 11, 2006

HOUSTON — Words will not come easy for this one.

For the record, Barbers Hill defeated Galena Park, 28-22, in overtime and a rain-delay of 57 minutes.

It was that simple.

For the record, Barbers Hill finishes the regular season at 10-0 for the fourth time in Don Price’s eight years as head coach. Now, the Eagles get ready to play Beaumont Central in the first round of the state playoffs. The game will be played at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Deer Park.

Galena Park had run three plays in overtime before the rain, and more importantly, the lightning came. The contest was halted nearly an hour.

When play resumed, the Yellowjackets faced a fourth down and 10. An incomplete pass turned the ball over to Barbers Hill.

When the Eagles got the ball in overtime, it was all quarterback Blake Patton. He ran for 3, 7 and 6 yards before going the last 9 for the touchdown to win it.

No need to kick, the Eagles were winners.

It was all Galena park at the half, and it really wasn’t that close.

The Yellowjackets struck on the first play when Gahn McGaffie hit Lester Bush for 80 yards on a screen pass for the touchdown.

That took 17 seconds.

Omar Aguirre kicked the extra point.

The Yellowjackets struck again in the opening stanza when a bad snap sailed in and out of the endzone.

After Barbers Hill kicked off, the Yellowjackets drove 50 yards in five plays when McGaffie went 3 yards for the score. Augirre’s PAT was good, 16-0.

The Eagles caught their breath and drove to the Yellowjackets 16 in the second quarter, only to lose the ball on a fumble.

Galena Park rounded out the first half scoring with 20 seconds left when McGaffie went in from 15 yards out. The PAT was blocked.

It was 22-0 Galena Park at the half.

Barbers Hill started its long comeback when Blake Patton went 2 yards with 6:41 left in the third. Jamie Griggs’ run for the two-point conversion was stopped short.

After Galena Park reached the Barbers Hill 23, the Eagles took over and scored again with Blake Patton and brother Todd doing the damage. Blake ran for 12 and 20 yards, and then the touchdown from 3 yards out.

He passed to Mason Fisher for two points to make it 22-14 with 2:29 left in the third quarter.

It stayed that until 59 seconds were left in the game.

That’s when Blake Patton passed to Fisher for 5 yards and the touchdown.

Patton tied it on a two-point run.

Nov. 11, 2006, 1:52AM

Patton ignites Barbers Hill rally

Eagles come back from 22-0 first half to claim district title

By CARL THEISS

Chronicle Correspondent

With the championship in District 21-4A hanging in the balance, Blake Patton did not let lightning take away the crown from Barbers Hill in a 28-22 overtime victory over Galena Park at GPISD Stadium on Friday night.

Barbers Hill (10-0) spotted Galena Park a 22-0 first half lead and overcame a 57-minute lightning delay to claim the district championship in their first season in Class 4A.

The Eagles, who have won 19 straight regular season games, will face Beaumont Central in the Division II playoffs next week.

Barbers Hill stopped the Jackets in four plays in overtime, then turned it over to Patton to win it. Patton ripped off runs of 3, 7 and 6 before breaking three tackles on the way to a 9-yard score.

Patton, who led all rushers with 221 yards on 37 carries, had a hand in every touchdown and PAT conversion.

The Eagle defense stopped quarterback Gahn McGaffie on the fourth down at the Galena Park 35 yard line with 2:52 remaining in regulation.

It took seven plays for the Eagles to bring the team within two, when Patton found Mason Fisher for a 5 yard scoring toss. Patton then tied it up with 1 minute showing on the successful extra point run.

McGaffie ended with 325 yards of offense that included 211 yards passing.

All I can say is...... well I cant say much because I lost my voice at the game last night!!! We were soaked, the players were soaked, and BH came out in that second half and took that game back like the winners that they are. THese BH fans are so dedicated and behind their Eagles.

Like I said a couple of days ago, these BH Eagles arent going to lay down for any team out there. GP is a very very good team, but BH left it all out on the feild in the win.

And all this living in the past with the BH haters is a mute issue. These boys didnt play on those teams..... they REALLY DONT CARE how bad BH got beat 20 years ago, they dont care how much you wish they would loose. They are a good team in their own right and they care about right here, right now and going as far as they can. And if next week happens to be the last game for this team (hopefully not) you can bet on this...... Central is gonna know they played a good football team and It wont be an easy game. Later

Write up from the eagle sports report.

Saturday, November 11

With the district championship and undefeated season only a moment's gasp away, Barbers Hill rallied from behind to take a 28-22 overtime victory over the Galena Park Yellow Jackets at GPISD Stadium. The victory gives BH not only the District 21-AAAA Championship but completes an undefeated finish in the Class 4A regular season. Barbers Hill will now play Beaumont Central who finished second in District 22-AAAA.

You can throw out many of the old cliches like "It ain't over til it's over.", "That's why we play 2 halves." and "Only one way to shut up the drone from those Yellow Jackets on the video board, take the sting out of their offense." But for a long time, that sting gave the Eagles plenty to worry about. In the first quarter alone, Galena Park rolled up 171 total offense to BH's -8. The Yellow Jackets put Barbers Hill in a hole on the very first play from scrimmage. Quarterback Gahn McGaffie hit Lester Bush on an 80 yard screen play for a touchdown. The PAT gave Galena Park a 7-0 lead. Midway through the quarter, Barbers Hill snapped the ball through the endzone giving Galena Park a safety and a 9-0 lead. The ensuing kick sailed out of bounds which gave the Yellow Jackets the ball at midfield. In less than 3 minutes, the Yellow Jackets found their way back into the endzone with a cozy 16-0 lead.

The Eagles tried to respond in the second quarter when they drove deep into Yellow Jacket territory. But is was here that BH's only lost fumble would occur,on the Galena Park 18 yard line. Instead of BH cuttng into the Yellow Jacket lead, the Eagles gave up a long scoring drive and went into the half trailing by a count of 22-0. Uncharted waters for sure by the Barbers Hill Eagles.

Needing a rally, Barbers Hill came out and still struggled offensively. Defensively, the Eagles began to assert themselves shutting down the potent Yellow Jacket offense. Finally midway through the quarter, BH was able to put some points on the board. Blake Patton pushed his way in from 2 yards out. The try for a 2 point conversion failed and the Yellow Jackets kept a 22-6 lead.

As the quarter began to wind down, the Eagles were given a gift. The Galena Park quarterback tossed a screen pass that was not only not caught but was ruled a latteral. Jonathan Delgado quickly pick up the live ball and raced down the sideline going out of bounds deep into Yellow Jacket territory. The offense pushed its way to the 3 where Blake Patton would pounch it in. Patton then hit Mason Fisher for the 2 point conversion, and BH was now only down one score.

Even though it looked like the offense was beginning to roll, the defense had to step up one more time. The Yellow Jackets drove to the BH 29 to start the fourth quarter. After a couple short gains, Galena Park tried a field goal just as the cold front began to push through. The kick sailed wide, giving the Eagle faithful a repreive.

With the heavy rains pouring out of the night sky, Barbers Hill began their game tying touchdown drive. But is was not a smooth drive. Twice they drew holding penalties, twice they faced fourth down, and the rains kept coming. All the while BH was moving back and forth on the field, the game clock continued to wind down. The Eagles drove to the Galana Park 5 but faced another 4th down play. Rather than run, this time Blake Patton tossed the ball to the right corner of the endzone for Mason Fisher. Fisher was well covered and the defender even got a hand on the ball. But Fisher pulled it in and secured the touchdown. With the rains still streaming down, the offensive line gave enough of a push to allow Patton to cross the goal line for the game tying 2 point conversion. Key to the start of the drive was the failure of Galena Park to get away a punt giving BH great field positon.

After regulation ended, Galena Park got the ball first. Three plays resulted no net gain for the Yellow Jackets. But before Galena Park could decide how to handle their fourth down play, the offials called a stoppage in play due to lightening. Play resumed almost an hour later. The Galena Park quarterback rolled right and then tossed an incomplete in the back of the endzone. This of course meant that any score by Barbers Hill would end the game.

For the most part, the game ending drive was all Blake Patton. Two running plays netted BH a first down. The next play got the Eagles to the nine yard line. Then Patton rolled left and cut up behind his lead blockers into the endzone for the game winner.

Something I always loved about Barbers Hill as an athlete was the support from our community. :D Every Friday night our side of the stands had more fans than our opponents, even when we had a bad season. Look at how many people (including myself and boys) stood in the rain and waited almost an hour to watch the Eagles go undefeated! I'm proud to be from "The Hill" and I look forward to watching the Eagles play B. Central next Friday night. :D:D

game Eagles! It's hard to put in words how we feel about this team. Ya'll overcame a lot tonight to pull out this win, and we couldn't be more proud. Way to go team.

Hey SFA85, since your bringing up the past, let's go back to 1985. SFA is ranked, I believe, #7 in the state, I doubt BH was even in the top 50. Ya'll came over to play us, and were supposed to wipe the field with us. As I remember you came over on a chartered bus. We beat ya'll that night 7 to 0, and pretty much owned ya'll all night. SFA had a chance to score when they got the ball down to our 10 yard line with around a minute left to play, we hold them on four downs and take the game. The greatest game I ever played in.

None of that matters now, what matters now is our Eagles are district champs first year in 4a. GO EAGLES!

Wasn't me. I was on the telling end of a 21-0 buttwhipping of the hill. That was the class of '86 with Brian Hall and that bunch. Everynow and then a hog finds an acorn but I promise you, y'all haven't faced anything like the Central Jags....

Coach is from Harker Heights and is pretty stout against shot gun teams. Yes the kids have had lapses when they either lost to teams based on reputation or let inferior teams hang around. Coach will have his boys focus for the Hill

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476