PAT KNIGHT to accept Lamar job!!

I like the move from the visibility standpoint, but I'm not convinced the guy can really coach. So, I guess that means I'm not so sure about this overall. Hopefully Bob will be around the program from time to time as an extra set of eyes.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="wompaskat" post="993006" timestamp="1302011748"]
If true, this is good.  This will give us visibility on a national level because of his old man that we haven't had in a while.  Good, bad or indifferent, publicity is publicity.   
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. Not a bad thing for the football program either. It's better for a recruit to say "Oh that school where Bob Knight's son went" than to say "where the heck is that????"

I'm far from a die hard basketball fan so excuse me for being selfish I guess lol. Good luck coach!

Having been at Tech while Knight was there, as both an assistant and for a brieft time as head coach, I was ready for him to be gone.  At the same time, I really think that he can be successful here.  He is a class act who is just getting his feet wet as a head coach.  He has made plenty of mistakes while at Tech, and he can learn from those experiences.  All indications are that he has a good recruiting class coming to Tech next year.  Having been in Texas for the last ten years - recruiting Texas high schools will definitely help him hit the ground running.  I do believe that the days of JUCO dominated Lamar teams may be over.

He does have some head coaching experience at other levels (USBL and  IBA) and has worked as an assistant at several different schools.  He worked as a scout in the NBA and assitant coach in the CBA.  Finally, he has one of the greatest college coaches to ever live on his speed dial - who also happens to be an analyst on the four letter network.  

I am pulling for him, because I genuinely like him and believe that he loves his players and and will have their backs.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="993057" timestamp="1302014752"]
Having been at Tech while Knight was there, as both an assistant and for a brieft time as head coach, I was ready for him to be gone.  At the same time, I really think that he can be successful here.  He is a class act who is just getting his feet wet as a head coach.  He has made plenty of mistakes while at Tech, and he can learn from those experiences.  All indications are that he has a good recruiting class coming to Tech next year.  Having been in Texas for the last ten years - recruiting Texas high schools will definitely help him hit the ground running.  I do believe that the days of JUCO dominated Lamar teams may be over.

He does have some head coaching experience at other levels (USBL and  IBA) and has worked as an assistant at several different schools.  He worked as a scout in the NBA and assitant coach in the CBA.  Finally, he has one of the greatest college coaches to ever live on his speed dial - who also happens to be an analyst on the four letter network.  

I am pulling for him, because I genuinely like him and believe that he loves his players and and will have their backs.
[/quote]But, can he WIN at this level ???

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="993060" timestamp="1302014912"]
[quote author=Ruckdad link=topic=82686.msg993057#msg993057 date=1302014752]

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly!  He could be the greatest guy in the world and that doesn't mean he will win.  And Ruckdad, in your own post, you stated you were ready for him to be gone in spite of the fact that you liked him.  I just feel that the pattern will be repeated, in spite of all the advantages you just listed

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="993069" timestamp="1302015468"]
Anyone know about his recruits going to Tech? Could any of them possibly follow him to Lamar? Like the kid from Galveston Ball?

Also any other rumors or news about assistant coaches?
[/quote]NO! Kids dream to play in the Big 12, SEC, Big East, etc. That chance only comes once in a lifetime.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="993062" timestamp="1302015131"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=82686.msg993060#msg993060 date=1302014912]

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly!  He could be the greatest guy in the world and that doesn't mean he will win.  And Ruckdad, in your own post, you stated you were ready for him to be gone in spite of the fact that you liked him.  I just feel that the pattern will be repeated, in spite of all the advantages you just listed
[/quote]
I did want him gone from Tech - like I said, I thought he was over his head.  He had three full years and part of a fourth and just wasn't getting it done.  But remember, he was coaching against Bill Self, Rick Barnes, Bob Huggins/Frank Martin, Billy Gillespie/MArk Turgeon, Scott Drew, Mike Anderson and the like.  Each of these schools (as much as I love Tech) had basketball advantages over him.  He is now at Lamar where he has most of the advantages.  Better budgets in the SLC, better facilities, etc.  He's been recruiting Texas for almost a decade now and should have sufficient relationships with the high school community.  I think he can get us back to the upper echelon of the SLC - and competing in the WAC (if that's our destination).

Sorry.... but he will be over his head here at Lamar.  

Nice guy....just cant see it.

Overall Games  W62  L69  0.473

Conference Games  W19  L45  0.297

NCAA Tourney Games (since 1980) 0

Close Games (decided by < 6 pts) W14  L22  0.389

Blowout Games (decided by > 19 pts)  W10 L14 0.417

Overtime Games  W2 L4  0.333

Guest TBonesLU
[quote name="Ruckdad" post="993076" timestamp="1302016026"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=82686.msg993062#msg993062 date=1302015131]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I did want him gone from Tech - like I said, I thought he was over his head.  He had three full years and part of a fourth and just wasn't getting it done.  But remember, he was coaching against Bill Self, Rick Barnes, Bob Huggins/Frank Martin, Billy Gillespie/MArk Turgeon, Scott Drew, Mike Anderson and the like.  Each of these schools (as much as I love Tech) had basketball advantages over him.  He is now at Lamar where he has most of the advantages.  Better budgets in the SLC, better facilities, etc.  He's been recruiting Texas for almost a decade now and should have sufficient relationships with the high school community.  I think he can get us back to the upper echelon of the SLC - and competing in the WAC (if that's our destination).
[/quote]

Great response...regardless of whatever each one of us basketball experts thinks, as of the minute Tidwell announces him as head coach, we should be ready to back him and the team.
Let's go, Knight!  Get us another conference championship!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="993060" timestamp="1302014912"]

[/quote]
Remains to be seen, but there is a very, very, very long list of coaches that had success at the low major level, but couldn't win when given the chance at a high major! It's just rare that you see one who's first coaching gig is in a power six conference!  This might speak volumes about why you rarely see it. Prooves its best to hire someone who has cut there teeth as a HC at a Low/Mid over a Power 6 assistant with no HC experience.

If Cross will be on staff, then it will make me happier about the hire. Knight probably won't be here more than 5 years win or lose so having Cross gain experience at a DI is a good move. I see big things for Cross down the road.

Guest TBonesLU
[quote name="badndn" post="993142" timestamp="1302023052"]

[/quote]
Remains to be seen, but there is a very, very, very long list of coaches that had success at the low major level, but couldn't win when given the chance at a high major! It's just rare that you see one who's first coaching gig is in a power six conference!  This might speak volumes about why you rarely see it. Prooves its best to hire someone who has cut there teeth as a HC at a Low/Mid over a Power 6 assistant with no HC experience.

If Cross will be on staff, then it will make me happier about the hire. Knight probably won't be here more than 5 years win or lose so having Cross gain experience at a DI is a good move. I see big things for Cross down the road.
[/quote]

"[i]Probably won't be here more than 5 years win or lose"?????

I would think that if he is winning, he won't be leaving.  How do you figure?  Do you think he would go to a major school?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder