Board Pulls Bond...

Just curious why the buildings haven't been maintained to my excellent standards.    We pay a lot of good taxes already to ensure they are maintained.  Don't you agree?!
PS -- So, all the "OLD" college buildings in America can't, according to you, educate one student!  
They've been maintained for years.  I just question WHAT they teach them in those buildings   LOL!!
Face it dawgnuts, it's a matter of want, not needs.  Just like the first bond: some WANTED a fine new fancy stadium like PN-G.  It was not a NEED!!  In this bond, someone wanted to build a gym-atorium at Wilson.  So...

[quote name="dawgnut" post="985823" timestamp="1300587106"]
You're right smitty a 70's car can take you anywhere you want to go if you don't mind stopping every so often and replace some parts. You and your buddies appear to believe that with proper maintenance you can keep a building forever. This is not true, if you have an unlimited budget maybe, but if you don't then you have to realize that all things have a usable life and after that you spend more to maintain the building than it's worth. But I am sure you know all this since you probably have all the facts a figures from your days as the head of a maintenance department that has maintained several campuses up to your excellent standard!
[/quote]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is smitty you don't want the truth, you just want to spew your rant everywhere. And just like the buildings you are going to decay one day, no matter how good your Obama care is or how well you maintain your body one day they will tell you it's all over with get your affairs in order. So you and your "Don't Care" buddies just keep on spreading your FUD and one day you will have a pile of junk and some governmental agency will tell you to rebuild your schools anyway, and then you can go on a rant (or join the Republic of Texas group) about meddling governmental agency's!

I'm against obama care!  LOL!!!  But, gotcha on the college buildings!!  And THAT is the truth!!  Read and learn, buddy!!    ;)    ;D

[quote name="dawgnut" post="986013" timestamp="1300654654"]
Fact is smitty you don't want the truth, you just want to spew your rant everywhere. And just like the buildings you are going to decay one day, no matter how good your Obama care is or how well you maintain your body one day they will tell you it's all over with get your affairs in order. So you and your "Don't Care" buddies just keep on spreading your FUD and one day you will have a pile of junk and some governmental agency will tell you to rebuild your schools anyway, and then you can go on a rant (or join the Republic of Texas group) about meddling governmental agency's!
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="985892" timestamp="1300615963"]
Just curious why the buildings haven't been maintained to my excellent standards.    We pay a lot of good taxes already to ensure they are maintained.  Don't you agree?!
PS -- So, all the "OLD" college buildings in America can't, according to you, educate one student! 
They've been maintained for years.  I just question what they teach them in those buildings   LOL!!
Face it dawgnuts, it's a matter of want, not needs.  Just like the first bond: some WANTED a fine new fancy stadium like PN-G.  It was not a NEED!!  In this bond, someone wanted to build a gym-atorium at Wilson. 
Some just don't get it!!

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=81687.msg985823#msg985823 date=1300587106]
You're right smitty a 70's car can take you anywhere you want to go if you don't mind stopping every so often and replace some parts. You and your buddies appear to believe that with proper maintenance you can keep a building forever. This is not true, if you have an unlimited budget maybe, but if you don't then you have to realize that all things have a usable life and after that you spend more to maintain the building than it's worth. But I am sure you know all this since you probably have all the facts a figures from your days as the head of a maintenance department that has maintained several campuses up to your excellent standard!
[/quote]
[/quote]

smitty, we've been over this. Our stadium was under threat of being closed down by the safety inspectors because of its poor condition. It would not have made it through Ike. If its replacement wasn't a need for that reason, I don't know what is.

I do have one question for the posters on this site. I remember someone saying NHS was built in 1971. Has it undergone a major renovation since then? I know it's had some cosmetic work and a series of technology updates, but has it had a complete renovation? If not, it seems reasonable to have one since the building's been around for four decades.

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="986031" timestamp="1300656391"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=81687.msg985892#msg985892 date=1300615963]
They've been maintained for years.  I just question what they teach them in those buildings   LOL!!
Face it dawgnuts, it's a matter of want, not needs.  Just like the first bond: some WANTED a fine new fancy stadium like PN-G.  It was not a NEED!!  In this bond, someone wanted to build a gym-atorium at Wilson. 
Some just don't get it.

[/quote]
[/quote]

smitty, we've been over this. Our stadium was under threat of being closed down by the safety inspectors because of its poor condition. It would not have made it through Ike. If its replacement wasn't a need for that reason, I don't know what is.

I do have one question for the posters on this site. I remember someone saying NHS was built in 1971. Has it undergone a major renovation since then? I know it's had some cosmetic work and a series of technology updates, but has it had a complete renovation? If not, it seems reasonable to have one since the building's been around for four decades.
[/quote]

The High School is the newest school in the district. 3 elementary schools were built in the mid-sixties. CO Wilson Middle School is older than that. The other elementary is 60 or so years old. Central Middle School use to be the High School.

[quote name="bulldog81" post="986064" timestamp="1300664163"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=81687.msg986031#msg986031 date=1300656391]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=81687.msg985892#msg985892 date=1300615963]
Some just don't get it.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The High School is the newest school in the district. 3 elementary schools were built in the mid-sixties. CO Wilson Middle School is older than that. The other elementary is 60 or so years old. Central Middle School use to be the High School.
[/quote]

Has the high school undergone any major renovation since construction?

If that year is correct and the building really is four decades old and it hasn't been remodeled in that time (which wouldn't surprise me based on how it looks), then to fail a bond that would rehab or replace it would be a travesty.

I'm not a Nederland resident so take this for what it's worth, but as an outsider looking in, I think Nederland has two options at this point. The Nederland community can either be proactive and start remodeling and replacing its schools and other facilities as other districts in this area have started to do, or it can do as PAISD and other districts did in the 80s and continue to use these worn-out facilities, and watch as Nederland falls apart over the next 25 years. I have many friends who live in Nederland and a few who work in NISD that say that this process has already started and everything I've seen first-hand so far confirms this notion.

Honestly, I hope Nederland takes the first option. I've never lived in Nederland, but even as an Indian I think it's a nice community and would hate to see it go downhill. Believe it or not, I actually went to pre-school in Nederland (parents got me out before it was too late ;D).

I find it interesting that smitty wants to compare stadiums with PN-G and school buildings with Harvard. PN and Groves tax base is around 200% larger than Nederlands. Roughly 25 million to 11 million. Now Harvard lets see they renovate on a 10 year rotation. They have a endowment that would blow even Your large brain smitty.No schools don,t make better students but they do attract better teachers. Put yourself in a teachers position who is moving to this  area. PN-G, BISD, PAISD all have new schools and Nederlands looks as old as they are. Where would you really want to teach if the pay was the same? You know you can put new paint on a rotten old house and it looks good but it is still rotten under the paint. Nederland does need new schools badly, not paint jobs! If there is money left after the new schools then yes buid some new bathrooms and add some stands to the stadium. Oh yea before you ask the question smitty we do have some great teachers and some really great students but how much better could they be with new schools that are state of the art and way more energy efficent to boot? I will guess though you will divert to another point. Hey got one what if we let Delbert be in charge of the bond issue that way you will have something to really get fired up about! JACKA_ _!

It's not hard to understand.  I'm making a point of the fact that buildings do not educate.  Using this as an example.  Always glad to educate.

[quote name="phunter308" post="986596" timestamp="1300769833"]
I find it interesting that smitty wants to compare stadiums with PN-G and school buildings with Harvard. PN and Groves tax base is around 200% larger than Nederlands. Roughly 25 million to 11 million. Now Harvard lets see they renovate on a 10 year rotation. They have a endowment that would blow even Your large brain smitty.No schools don,t make better students but they do attract better teachers. Put yourself in a teachers position who is moving to this  area. PN-G, BISD, PAISD all have new schools and Nederlands looks as old as they are. Where would you really want to teach if the pay was the same? You know you can put new paint on a rotten old house and it looks good but it is still rotten under the paint. Nederland does need new schools badly, not paint jobs! If there is money left after the new schools then yes buid some new bathrooms and add some stands to the stadium. Oh yea before you ask the question smitty we do have some great teachers and some really great students but how much better could they be with new schools that are state of the art and way more energy efficent to boot? I will guess though you will divert to another point. Hey got one what if we let Delbert be in charge of the bond issue that way you will have something to really get fired up about! JACKA_ _!
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="986608" timestamp="1300789954"]
it's not hard to understand.  I'm making a point of the fact that buildings do not educate.  Using this as an example.  Always glad to educate.

[quote author=phunter308 link=topic=81687.msg986596#msg986596 date=1300769833]
I find it interesting that smitty wants to compare stadiums with PN-G and school buildings with Harvard. PN and Groves tax base is around 200% larger than Nederlands. Roughly 25 million to 11 million. Now Harvard lets see they renovate on a 10 year rotation. They have a endowment that would blow even Your large brain smitty.No schools don,t make better students but they do attract better teachers. Put yourself in a teachers position who is moving to this  area. PN-G, BISD, PAISD all have new schools and Nederlands looks as old as they are. Where would you really want to teach if the pay was the same? You know you can put new paint on a rotten old house and it looks good but it is still rotten under the paint. Nederland does need new schools badly, not paint jobs! If there is money left after the new schools then yes buid some new bathrooms and add some stands to the stadium. Oh yea before you ask the question smitty we do have some great teachers and some really great students but how much better could they be with new schools that are state of the art and way more energy efficent to boot? I will guess though you will divert to another point. Hey got one what if we let Delbert be in charge of the bond issue that way you will have something to really get fired up about! JACKA_ _!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Buildings do not educate kids but neither does an underfunded maintenance budget...at some point, you have to make a decision regarding the best use of money...we have already had maintenance bonds and suspect we will have to have many more...I do not consider that prudent use of money; continuing to repair items over and over...newer schools also protect the value of other property in the district...

I've read through all the posts and to answer a question or two from several pages back, [b]a district can not pay salaries from a bond[/b].  The bond will spell out what the funds can be spent on and some wordings are more specific than others.  Any item that is bought or built by bond money must a life expectancy of at least one year. IE buses, buildings, computers but not fertilizer, supplies and so forth.
As far as nice buildings, they make a difference, you bet your rear they do.  If the kids have nice facilities to study and gather in, their morale is usually higher and that will lead to better education.  You can believe me or not, but nice facilities also attract better teachers.  If the campus and buildings are in good repair and all other variables are in the ballpark, good employees are drawn to them.  Also, good facilities promote good morale for the employees and that certainly affects education.

No, I do not pay taxes in NISD but the district I do live in passed overwhelming a bond a few years ago and it has been nothing but positive for our district and our community.  And we do pay into "Robin Hood".

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder