Little Cypress-Mauriceville vs. Beaumont Central Boys Match Thread/LC-M wins!

Zachary Blanchard's header off a corner kick from Garhett Bonneaux propelled the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears soccer team to a thrilling 2-1 come from behind victory over the Central Jaguars Tuesday night in Beaumont.  Blanchard's game-winning goal occurred with three minutes remaining in the game. Bonneaux also scored a goal on an assist from Jordan King in a game featurng two teams battling for a playoff spot.

Bears Head Coach Jeremy Watzlavik was excited with the Bear's clutch win. "I am so proud of this team", said Watzlavik of his team's effort.  "This season, we have come through injury and adversity.  Tonight, we were playing as a team, and capitalize the word 'team'."

Not only did the Bears face a strong Jaguar team, they also battled rain, wind, and a very sloppy field.  In the first half, it was the defense that kept the Bears in the game.  "Several times, our back defensive line caused the Jaguars to be offsides.  And goalie Adam Garza had a great game," Watzlavik commented.

Following a scoreless first half, the Jaguars scored approximately three minutes into the second half when a Bear defender lost his footing on the slick field for a 1-0 lead. 

The Bears quickly responded with a goal two minutes later.  Jordan King drove the ball down the left side of the field and centered the ball to Bonneaux near the 18-yard box.  Bonneaux then pivoted around towards the Jaguar goal and booted the ball past the goalie for a score.

"Our first goal was the result of beautiful ball movement", Watlavik stated.  "It was pretty soccer.  The drive, the pass, and the score were all well-executed." 

Bonneaux was quick to recognize Jordan King's contribution to the game-tying score.  "Jordan had a good run to draw two defenders and that left me open", Bonneaux described.  "He made a spot-on pass through the two defenders and that's what gave me the time and space to score." 

Throughout the second half, the Bears appeared to gain momentum.  Several Bears' shots on goal were denied by a strong Jaguar defense. As the contest continued, defenders Zarchary Blanchard, Harley Cobb, and Erik Tutt were critical in keeping the Jaguars from scoring. Keeper Adam Garza made several saves.  Other Bears with strong performances were Mitchell Heil, Tanner Crow, Daniel Delafuente, Ceasar Coca, and Yohannes Dundon.   

The teams exhaustedly battled as the second half was nearing an end.  With three minutes remaining in the game, the Bears earned a corner kick on the left side of the field.  The Bears packed their offense in front of the Jaguars goal.  Bonneaux then sent a corner kick at head level directed five yards from the Jaguar goal.  Zachary Blanchard then perfectly headed the ball for the game-winning goal.

"Blanchard's first goal of the season couldn't have come at a better time" said Watzlavik of his stellar defender. 

Blanchard explained that "my job on the corner kick was to mark the goalie and get in his way".  "It was a really good cross by Bonneaux and then I hit the ball with the left side of my head".  When Blanchard saw the ball go into the net for a score,  he stated that "I was really pumped up."

Time expired before the Jaguars could tie the game. 

"It was a great team effort", said Coach Watzlavik.  "All of our players had a really good game.  Central is a great team, but our kids were up to the task."

The memorable win was a hard earned effort.  And for the Bears, a most satisfying night for a team that proved that it will be in the thick of the playoff hunt.  The Bears host the Vidor Pirates on Friday night.           

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa