Lamar baseball- here is a look at the rpi's and SOS rightnow for Southland

Guest baseball25

[quote name="bball11" post="976522" timestamp="1299173488"]
pudding tane, it seems to me that you get aggervated because basketball25 has some pretty good logic of what is going on and how the college baseball environment is!!! I mean I feel the stuff he is saying is right on the dot, no reason to get mad when someone knows what they are talking about and that knows the game so well. I think I know who basketball25 is and if its the person I think it is then he knows way more baseball than us I can promise you this! Lamar should dominate this conference with the tradition it used to have and the players it should be able to bring in, but Lamar doesn't so who's fault is that, I mean if lamar moves to another conference they would really struggle and get it handed to them but if lamar moved to another conference 6-10 yrs ago they could hang but now they can't even hang in the southland conference...
[/quote]

whatever..Arizona playing NDSU is ok, but its terrible for LU

I could give a flip who he is....

I  get sick of the LU "is too good for x or y" and the "I'll support em if..."

Just stop the yada yada and support the team.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="976990" timestamp="1299203016"]
[quote author=bball11 link=topic=81127.msg976522#msg976522 date=1299173488]
pudding tane, it seems to me that you get aggervated because basketball25 has some pretty good logic of what is going on and how the college baseball environment is!!! I mean I feel the stuff he is saying is right on the dot, no reason to get mad when someone knows what they are talking about and that knows the game so well. I think I know who basketball25 is and if its the person I think it is then he knows way more baseball than us I can promise you this! Lamar should dominate this conference with the tradition it used to have and the players it should be able to bring in, but Lamar doesn't so who's fault is that, I mean if lamar moves to another conference they would really struggle and get it handed to them but if lamar moved to another conference 6-10 yrs ago they could hang but now they can't even hang in the southland conference...
[/quote]

whatever..Arizona playing NDSU is ok, but its terrible for LU

I could give a flip who he is....

I  get sick of the LU "is too good for x or y" and the "I'll support em if..."

Just stop the yada yada and support the team.
[/quote]
I'm with you on this one.  By what some say on here they wouldn't go see their kid's little league game because the completion isn't good enough.

My favorite parts of this argument is always that:  1. basketball25 was a heck of player and he played in college -  I laugh because he's not the only one on here who played collegiate baseball, and even if he was, that does not mean he knows more about baseball than every other poster on this board.  He is just one man with one opinion, some may agree with him others may not.   2. That Gilligan has run this program into the ground.  Well that's just laughable seeing as the Cards were in "THE" tourney last season.  I'm not arguing that the Cards are greatness but "run into the ground" is a reaching overstatement.  Go back and look the records from past LU teams, not just the last 4 years, and you will find that Cards mixed in some very good seasons with a lot of average seasons.  It's like everyone looks back and pretends like the Cards were regulars in Omaha.

In fairness to basketball25, I think part of his statement is correct - in that the Cards have in the past and should in the future schedule stronger non-conference opponents, especially when it comes to the likes of HBU, TexSo, and PV a&m.  And the Cards should be willing to go on the road and not expect return visits (like the Cards are doing this season with Baylor).  However, I don't think the scheduling,facilities, or Gilligan are what is preventing Lamar from recruiting better players or having better teams.  I'm not saying I know what it is missing but I don't think that is what is stopping the Cards from becoming elite again in the Southland Conference.  For one, this is not college football where the schedule is set 3 to 4 season in advance and for two, the facilities are pretty good especially for a mid-level conference.   If I had to guess why Lamar has dropped a little it is because the investment other SLC schools have made in their baseball programs.  TxState, Sam, and UTSA have really stepped up in all areas from facilities to coaches to campus life.  I think some of the players that Lamar use to be able to get on campus may end up on one of those other campuses and we should be honest and acknowledge that all three of those schools have a lot going for them.  Additionally, Lamar is not bringing in the Northern exports like it use to.  Don't know if the well has run dry, it's easier to recruit locally or what it is but that talent has not been on campus since Michael Ambort graduated.  Finally RPI may be wonderful, but TxState had a strong RPI last season and they did not make "THE" tournament but Lamar did.

As for losing to Texas Southern, all I can say is that I also know a little about baseball, and a little about college baseball, and there is an old adage that says - "you're only as good as the next day's starter".  Every team in college has a couple of guys who can get some outs and at least on Tuesday night the Texas Southern pitchers did just that, just like the Lamar pitchers were able to do just the same to Rice the week before.

Hey guys maybe if we ignore him he will go away.  SOS every year from b....b..ll25.  There are many reasons that there are not "A lot" of big name schools that come here.  Until last year there was no place for them to change.  No visitor locker room and now they can use the soccer building.  Also again Texas travels very little except for conference play and G refuses to schedule teams away if they will not come to play in Beaumont.  As far as Gilligan goes "25" will never quit ragging on him, there is too much dislike that comes from family history with G...

Guest baseball25
Why do u get So mad when I talk about Lamar???? Bec everything I say is the truth, I've said time again that gilligan is one of the best pitching coaches around the nation and used to be a great head coach, I feel his time has come and it happens to the best of them nothing wrong with that! For as a faMily history lol I don't have no beef with gilligan I am just speaking the truth, everyone has a opinion and nothing will changE that but when you have other souhland schools that have better programs than Lamar right now something is wrong, Lamar should dominate this conference yr in and yr out!!

[quote name="time2time" post="977098" timestamp="1299208094"]  Finally RPI may be wonderful, but TxState had a strong RPI last season and they did not make "THE" tournament but Lamar did.
[/quote]

Texas State didn't make the tournament last year because of the games dropped to Nicholls. We were on the bubble rpi wise, but when all said was done after a loss to Lamar, we were edged out by other teams on the edge.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="ForeverADog" post="984879" timestamp="1300463436"]
Lamar is steadily climbing up on the rpi. Texas State, Southeastern, and UTA still in the rpi top 50. And look at the conference rank at the top. SLC is at number 8? Pretty impressive.
[/quote]

ole bball 25 disappears when things are going ok...

Guest baseball25
I am glad Lamar is doing good, hopefully they can pick up some big wins coming up, we are about to see how good this team is!!! Could be big momentum for rpi coming up so let's see if this schedule has them prepared for the upper tier teams in the conference, I hope  I am dead wrong and they come up with some big wins!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder