Lamar football schedule

UNLV

[quote name="JJWooten" post="967335" timestamp="1297893833"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=80295.msg967326#msg967326

Well TT, you just took all the fun out of next season!  Now that you've given us the results for 2011, it will be like watching tape of a game you already know the outcome too.  Lets just move on to 2012. ;)
[/quote]

Why attack TT, when me, BR360, and Puddin also all gave predictions on the season.
[/quote]

Woot, you know that TT has that edge to his posts, even pointed wording, that comes accross as he knows more than all of us combined.  I appreciate him being on here, he is very knowledgeable, and enjoy reading what he has to say.  Sometimes here irks me, but my post was a tongue-in-cheek jab at his know it all attitude, hence the wink.  Everyone else puts there hopes, dreams and best guesses, TT just tells us how it is!

[quote name="JJWooten" post="966479" timestamp="1297800362"]
If I had to make a prediction:

Langston University WIN
at South Alabama LOSS
Incarnate Word WIN
at Southeastern La* WIN
Northwestern St.* LOSS
at Texas St. WIN
C. Arkansas* WIN
at Sam Houston St.* LOSS
Stephen F. Austin* LOSS
at Nicholls St.* LOSS
McNeese St.* LOSS

That puts you at......

5-6, maybe you can beat USA, but I dunno. I'm going with my gut  since it's your 1st away game, and Langston isn't really a great warm-up game.

Not going to happen Wooten with Fran as our coach.  Expect Sammy to lose also.
[/quote]

[quote name="JJWooten" post="966883" timestamp="1297827785"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=80295.msg966696#msg966696 date=1297819033]
The only way you can't see us going 8-3 JJ is because you don't think we can beat SHSU, right?

Otherwise, these are the W's I think we "can" have.

[b]Langston University [/b] WIN
at South Alabama LOSS
[b]Incarnate Word [/b] WIN
at Southeastern La* WIN
[b]Northwestern St[/b].* WIN
at Texas St. LOSS
[b]C. Arkansas[/b]* WIN
at Sam Houston St.* WIN
[b]Stephen F. Austin[/b]* LOSS
at Nicholls St.* WIN
[b]McNeese St[/b].* WIN

I'm not saying we will win all these games but I do think it is possible.  
[/quote]

No, I don't think you'll beat us, I was just trying to pick a third loss for Puddin.
[/quote]

Lamar will have a better chance of defeating SFA this year.  They will lose to Texas St.  SFA will be lucky to go 6-5 this year with an inexperienced QB

[quote name="Cat79" post="969946" timestamp="1298386887"]

Lamar will have a better chance of defeating SFA this year.  They will lose to Texas St.  SFA will be lucky to go 6-5 this year with an inexperienced QB
[/quote]

Most of SFA's core is still there, with Attaway having a year to sit and watch one of the best SLC passes of all time. His receiving group is still in tact, and they've picked up a stud RB to help in the run game. They've lost 2 key players on defense, but as a whole, the majority of the group is still there. I'm not saying SFA hands70+ on them, but they do beat them thoroughly.

As for Sam, only lost 3 SLC games by a combined 11 points, and against two of three teams finished 1st and 2nd. We have a QB and RB that will be even more comfortable in the backfield, and defense picked up some key needs to address the secondary. Lamar's defense hasn't improved nearly as much as their offense, but Tim Flanders will still have a beastly day come next year. SHSU should pick up this win, especially since it will be an AWAY game for the Cards.

As for Texas State, Coach Fran is still Coach Fran. Just because he comes in this year, he's still got last years recruits, a team that 1-6 in the SLC. Are you guys improved? I hope so, but every team can't improve and be better, someone's got to be worse. SFA will lose more than 1 game, and I think you guys will be at the bottom again, even though it doesn't really matter whether you guys win or lose.

At the end of the day, Lamar only won 2 of their 6 Division 1 games. I don't see them being really competitive until Year 3 of this program, which is still a hell of a job considering they've been dormant for 10+ years.

I was with you until the last sentence. We couldn't be a doormat for 10+ year if this is just our second year of the program.

Secondly, this defense is going to be a lot better than you think because they will have played in the 4-2-5 scheme for a year. A few of the guys played other positions in the past and will have a second season at their position.

Then you can't put a limit to the amount of improvement being able to workout in the new Athletic Complex will have on the whole team. The weight and conditioning facility is really aweome as I have been able to see it first hand.

This team with over 20 seniors will do better the TT prediction of 4-7 but probably not as good as my wishful 8-3.

BTW, there are still a couple of scholarships open and if a good RB becomes available Lamar will sign them.

[quote name="bigred360" post="970035" timestamp="1298395711"]
I was with you until the last sentence. We couldn't be a [b]doormat [/b] for 10+ year if this is just our second year of the program.

Secondly, this defense is going to be a lot better than you think because they will have played in the 4-2-5 scheme for a year. A few of the guys played other positions in the past and will have a second season at their position.

Then you can't put a limit to the amount of improvement being able to workout in the new Athletic Complex will have on the whole team. The weight and conditioning facility is really aweome as I have been able to see it first hand.

This team with over 20 seniors will do better the TT prediction of 4-7 but probably not as good as my wishful 8-3.

BTW, there are still a couple of scholarships open and if a good RB becomes available Lamar will sign them.
[/quote]

Slow down and read...he said dormant...I think you finish 6-5.

Your right, I misread JJ's post but he is still a little off as it (football program) was dorment for not just 10 + seasons but more like 20+ years. BTW, we lost 2 games by a total of 9 points so we were close to being 7-4 instead of 5-6. Really, for our first year outside SFA we were pretty good.

I think you'll see drastic improvement in all phases of the Cardinals football team this year.

Interested in SHSU football schedule but it has yet to be released.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="970012" timestamp="1298393700"]

SHSU should pick up this win, especially since it will be an AWAY game for the Cards.

[/quote]

Since it is SO hard to play in huntsville. How many fans come out to football games... 6,000 or 7,000?  ::)

I've seen more in the Montagne.

B360, glad you caught that doormant/doormat mistake ;) As far as defensive improvement, I know it's there, but as a whole team, your real improvement was on the offensive side of the ball. Every year, teams throughout the conference say that they're improved through the offseason, but at the end of the season, not everyone can be improved, SOMEONE has to be worse off. I actually think Lamar will be BETTER off, simply because of the improvements on offense.

As far as the records go, the only wins that really matter come playoff time are DI wins, and you only had 2 out of 6. I think you'll pick up some quality wins in this upcoming season, but it's going to be another long one, especially as teams get more and more game film on the Cards. I agree though, there should be a drastic improvement, but not enough to be over .500, but who knows. Oh, and the link for next year's schedule is on the athletic site:

http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=92957&SPID=11345&DB_OEM_ID=19900&Q_SEASON=2011

MFFL, take all the cracks you want, I don't think you're going to find any Bearkat happy with the way attendance turns out at games. In all honesty, it's sickening. However, I will say this, we had TW for the last few years, and if you noticed the product he put on the Cardinal field, you can imagine why no one showed up his final 3 years. Things have gotten better this year, but it's still not going to be great. At the end of the day, the Kats play well at home, as do most teams around the nation. We were 3-1 at home last year, with the loss being to McNeese, who finished 2nd in conference.

Dang, you guy got a pretty good schedule with most of your difficult games at home. I see you losing to McNeese in Lake Charles but SHSU could win the conference if you get past SFA.

Lamar will be better than you think on defense and your stud RB won't be running all over this team compared to last season as there were a couple of red-shirt guys who will added to the defense like Blake Chavis who is Billy Chavis brother and signed with A&M out of HS and and will likely start at one defensive end. Then another A&M transfer, Dorsey who is sitting out spring drills due to a back injury will probably start in the D - Line as he is athletic and big at about 300lbs. Then we have an Iowa transfer in Coleman who is looking like a beast this spring who will start in the D - line. The LB's have played together since junior college and we should get Anthony Beard back from injury at LB who is a transfer from SMU. We have a athletic and experienced defensive backfield with one starter Branden Thomas timed at 4.3 in the forty and returned one INT for a pick 6 last season. I know a lot of people don't think there are many players who can run 4.3 but he wasn't timed by a HS coach but by a strength and conditioning coach at the college level. All our starting DB are returning and they compete with a passing offense every day in practice.

So, I agree we addressed several needs on the offensive side of the ball in recruiting especially in the O - line and another running back. Then added West Virginia transfer in Jeremy Johnson who is in a very competitive battle for the starting QB position which may not be settled until the fall. There are 4 guys who are really competing and each brings something different to the table.

We are going to be a lot better than last season and the two losses I talked about us losing by 9 points last season was, one McNeese by 3 and Georgia State by 6 both being on the road.

[quote name="bigred360" post="970110" timestamp="1298408014"]

We are going to be a lot better than last season and the two losses I talked about us losing by 9 points last season was, one McNeese by 3 and Georgia State by 6 both being on the road.

[/quote]

Lamar was robbed in that game. I really thought Prewitt was going to lead the magical comeback. Had he started the week before instead, I think he would have had enough confidence to go into the GeorgiaDome and win it. The defense was just flat gassed by the end.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="970012" timestamp="1298393700"]
[quote author=Cat79 link=topic=80295.msg969946#msg969946 date=1298386887]

[/quote]

Most of SFA's core is still there, with Attaway having a year to sit and watch one of the best SLC passes of all time. His receiving group is still in tact, and they've picked up a stud RB to help in the run game. They've lost 2 key players on defense, but as a whole, the majority of the group is still there. I'm not saying SFA hands70+ on them, but they do beat them thoroughly.

As for Sam, only lost 3 SLC games by a combined 11 points, and against two of three teams finished 1st and 2nd. We have a QB and RB that will be even more comfortable in the backfield, and defense picked up some key needs to address the secondary. Lamar's defense hasn't improved nearly as much as their offense, but Tim Flanders will still have a beastly day come next year. SHSU should pick up this win, especially since it will be an AWAY game for the Cards.

As for Texas State, Coach Fran is still Coach Fran. Just because he comes in this year, he's still got last years recruits, a team that 1-6 in the SLC. Are you guys improved? I hope so, but every team can't improve and be better, someone's got to be worse. SFA will lose more than 1 game, and I think you guys will be at the bottom again, even though it doesn't really matter whether you guys win or lose.

At the end of the day, Lamar only won 2 of their 6 Division 1 games. I don't see them being really competitive until Year 3 of this program, which is still a heck of a job considering they've been dormant for 10+ years.

[/quote]

Spin it any way you want but I am telling you now that Sam Houston is going to lose to Texas State.  SFA is going to go through what we went through last year lucky to win conference games due to an inexperienced QB.  I was at the Sam-Texas State game and you should not feel good about going to San Marcos.  Your RB is good but not enough to carry you in San Marcos,

[quote name="Cat79" post="970556" timestamp="1298431308"]
Spin it any way you want but I am telling you now that Sam Houston is going to lose to Texas State.  SFA is going to go through what we went through last year lucky to win conference games due to an inexperienced QB.  I was at the Sam-Texas State game and you should not feel good about going to San Marcos.  Your RB is good but not enough to carry you in San Marcos,
[/quote]

A lot of talk for a team that went 1-6 in conference play, and that 1 win was a 4th Q meltdown by the Jacks.

Back to Cardinal football, I still think Lamar beats TSU-SM in San Mucus. I think the cats will think they're better than the Cards, and they'll regret it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83