LU vs. Nicholls Updates/LAMAR LOSES 78-71!!!

Some of you guys on here would criticize Jesus if he came down from Heaven to coach the cardinals and Lamar didn't win 30 games in his first year.  Roc is doing a heck of a job running the mens program. The wins haven't happen like most want, but a HECK OF A COACH is busting his butt to put a team on the court that the university and city can be proud of...

How many team has Larry Brown coached that have had a losing record?  Lenny Wilkins, etc... does that mean they are awful coaches?

[quote name="hjhawks" post="957562" timestamp="1296371028"]
Some of you guys on here would criticize Jesus if he came down from Heaven to coach the cardinals and Lamar didn't win 30 games in his first year.  [u][i][b]Roc is doing a heck of a job running the mens program. The wins haven't happen like most want, but a HECK OF A COACH is busting his butt to put a team on the court that the university and city can be proud of...[/b][/i][/u]
How many team has Larry Brown coached that have had a losing record?  Lenny Wilkins, etc... does that mean they are awful coaches?

[/quote]

If you really believe that then I want to drink what you're drinking...

[quote name="hjhawks" post="957562" timestamp="1296371028"]
Some of you guys on here would criticize Jesus if he came down from Heaven to coach the cardinals and Lamar didn't win 30 games in his first year.  Roc is doing a heck of a job running the mens program. The wins haven't happen like most want, but a HECK OF A COACH is busting his butt to put a team on the court that the university and city can be proud of...

[/quote]

How are you proud of this program? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate coach Roc's effort, but he is not making the program into something we can be proud of. Look how he behaves in front of the fans and players?

If you think Lamar which has an RPI of over 300 (there are only 350 teams) is a program to be proud of then we have different standards.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="957548" timestamp="1296366934"]
And I agree that ROC gives his heart to the program..........but ultimately WINS/LOSSES is what puts butts into the seats and what matters!!!!  And attendance is down and so is the program!!!!
[/quote]

Yeah, ROC is a good ol' boy, but he has proved he doesn't have it in game situation coaching.  If the alums are voting I vote we look elsewhere.  This will be a hard call for the AD/HGBB, Tidwell.  Think about it - you're the Girls coach and you are about to fire the Boys
coach.  Somewhat uncomfortable; oh, that's right, I'm the AD too! :(

You guys act like Lamar has had a such a storied history of winning. When was the last time Lamar won? Consistently? 25 yrs ago. Lots of coaches have been thru here and lost. Hell even B Tubbs wasnt that great when he came back. Why not give a local guy and guy that would cut his arm off for this University as much time as he needs to get it rolling. If someone told u in 3 or 4 years Lamar would be the toast of the conference for an extended period of time. Would u sign up for that?

[quote name="pngtiger72" post="957600" timestamp="1296400774"]
You guys act like Lamar has had a such a storied history of winning. When was the last time Lamar won? Consistently? 25 yrs ago. Lots of coaches have been thru here and lost. heck even B Tubbs wasnt that great when he came back. Why not give a local guy and guy that would cut his arm off for this University as much time as he needs to get it rolling. If someone told u in 3 or 4 years Lamar would be the toast of the conference for an extended period of time. Would u sign up for that?
[/quote]

How much time would suggest?  10, 15 years?  Everybody was rooting for Roc when he got here and he's been given 5 years to make improvements and the program struggles to even make the SLC tourney.  Roc hasn't even taken the team to the SLC tourney finals and this is one of the worst conferences in the country.  The bottom line is you have to win, no matter how loyal and dedicated you are.

This is what scares me about the MBB program. Coach Tidwell and Coach Roc are good friends so he is going to give Roc every chance in the world to win. I say, at the end of the season Coach Tidwell tells Roc to fire a couple of his assistants so it appears they are doing something.

To be honest one of the assistant coaches should already be history. I'm not going to name names but considering the places he has coached I would have expected better.

Then he needs to look at the young coach at LSC-PA as a possible assistant.

BTW, coachacola is right in that everyone (except for a few people) were rooting for Coach Roc to be successful.

I may be wrong but I believe Roc has the longest tenure since Pat Foster left, so he has had plenty of time to prove he has the program moving ahead.  I might be convinced that he deserves another year or two if his actions both on and off the court were somewhere toward the humble side.  But it is not.  He berates the officials, he berates his players, in post game comments it is the players fault.  Yes sure the players play the game, but in college the coach chooses the players more than at any other level.

[quote name="coachacola" post="957691" timestamp="1296420185"]
Pomeroy Ratings for Lamar, 2003-2011 (about the same as RPI):

2003 - 248 (Mike Deane's last year)
----------
2004 - 293 (Billy Tubbs took over)
2005 - 192
2006 - 202
----------
2007 - 227 (Roc took over)
2008 - 170
2009 - 215
2010 - 283