Coach Jerry Stewart--it is official

JS

DISD Board of Trustees accepted Coach Jerry Stewart's letter of resignation as AD/HC at last nights board meeting. He will remain as AD only.

Congrats AND many thanks to Coach Stewart for having a great run at Dayton----for those of us who do not remember we were everyone's Homecoming game before his tenure as the "big dog"----

I hate to see it end but thanks again!

[quote name="kicker" post="955190" timestamp="1296070408"]
Confused. Why did he stop coaching? I know he stayed as the AD, but whats up? Under him, Dayton had become a football team you didnt want to schedule.
[/quote]A personal decision on his part but we are very glad that he will remain as AD.

The swagger of being a BRONCO does not leave you now because isnt coaching football... If you played for Stewart you knew he put good coaches around his players that understood the BRONCO WAY.  IF Hancock gets it then great but if he does not Wood would alsobe excellent choice.  Stewart grooms all his coaches to coorinator or Head Coaches.

[quote name="chubrub" post="955220" timestamp="1296073343"]
Does the Supt have anything to do with this? He doesn't know jack about football.
[/quote]

Just curious... why does it matter if he knows anything about football? He's here to make our schools better at educating kids, which he knows plenty about. The guys that know a bunch about football are plentiful and are in the right places....

[quote name="Cowboys1981" post="955207" timestamp="1296071480"]
The swagger of being a BRONCO does not leave you now because isnt coaching football... If you played for Stewart you knew he put good coaches around his players that understood the BRONCO WAY.  IF Hancock gets it then great but if he does not Wood would alsobe excellent choice.  Stewart grooms all his coaches to coorinator or Head Coaches.
[/quote]If you are talking about the DB coach (wood) taking over that WOOD be the worse mistake ever. This guy doesn't have a clue he has hung around this long only because he is from Dayton. Please Stewart don't punish us like that. Let Hancock take over but not wood.

Didn't I read somewhere that Coach Stewart stepped down due to problems with MS?  I did not know he had the disease.  I wish him the very best.  He has done a great job at Dayton and will continue to do so as AD.

[quote name="w" post="955402" timestamp="1296093024"]
Didn't I read somewhere that Coach Stewart stepped down due to problems with MS?  I did not know he had the disease.  I wish him the very best.  He has done a great job at Dayton and will continue to do so as AD.
[/quote]

No, the coach that had MS was Sam Harrell, the coach at Ennis that Jack Alvarez is replacing.

[quote name="orangecoog" post="955427" timestamp="1296095651"]
Cuttbacks in revenues to all school districts and for a small school they should not have a separate AD and Head Coach. Waste and very poor decision making.
[/quote]

Wow sounds like you know everything already.  No need for you to see the memo sent out by the superintendent.

Cuttbacks in revenues to all school districts and for a small school they should not have a separate AD and Head Coach. Waste and very poor decision making.
[/quote]

Dayton is far from being a small school.  I am sure there will be more than a little bit of work to keep busy as AD.  This might actually turn out to be a great move to free up the HC to concentrate on football and not be bothered with all the other headaches that come with being AD.  Granted it will be an increase in spending provided they didn't combine some other things.

No worries Coach Stewart is surrounded by good coaches and whoever is named HC will have all my support whoever is chosen.Coach Lawney has been w/Stewart thru several school programs over the years so it would not surprize me if he were named but only speculating@this time 8)

It is truly amazing how some people get on here and show off ignorance.  You really have no idea what Coach Wood has done for this program and helping the kids in this community.  I can personally count 10 kids that he has saved from drugs, jail and a life that would have never known anything about Dayton football.  Besides that, he is responsible for us never losing a player to grades at the varsity level.  So before you go off and show just how mis-informed you are please know what you are talking about.

[quote name="broncos92" post="955351" timestamp="1296087604"]
[quote author=Cowboys1981 link=topic=79304.msg955207#msg955207 date=1296071480]
[/quote]If you are talking about the DB coach (wood) taking over that WOOD be the worse mistake ever. This guy doesn't have a clue he has hung around this long only because he is from Dayton. Please Stewart don't punish us like that. Let Hancock take over but not wood.
[/quote]

[/quote]

not that anything has to be justified to me, you, or anyone else..... The position is part-time. Believe me DISD is as financially conscious as any district in the area.

It was just announced on 99.9... Stewart will be retiring after this school year. And was said that he is NOT looking at other schools. Stewart request that he be PART TIME AD and the board accepted it.

[quote name="broncos92" post="955351" timestamp="1296087604"]
[quote author=Cowboys1981 link=topic=79304.msg955207#msg955207 date=1296071480]
[/quote]

Sounds like somebody is holding a grudge, did Coach Wood not play you enough or is it that your just jealous of success. I have no idea who will be the new HC but thank goodness people like you have nothing to do with it.

Guest Ranger83
Baytown Sun article

DAYTON — A Dayton High School coaching icon has decided to call it a career.

Jerry Stewart, who has guided Dayton to 132 wins over the past 15 years, has announced he will retire from coaching football at the end of the 2010-2011 school year.

Stewart, who has 163 wins in 20 years as a head coach, said he still plans to do some part-time athletic director work in the school district.

“The reason I decided to do this now is that we have some good kids coming back,” said the 58-year-old Stewart, who has been eligible to retire for the past five years. “We look to be in pretty good shape from the seventh-grade on up. “The time you should do it (retire) is when you are still going to be successful. Too many times, guys retire when the cupboard is bare. That is not the case here.”

Stewart, who also coached in Cleveland and Clear Lake, guided his teams to 12 district titles and 19 playoff appearances in 20 years. His only team to miss the playoffs was the 1989 Clear Lake Falcons.

“We have played well for a long time,” Stewart said. “It has been a good run.”

Stewart said he probably will miss coaching the most on game nights.

“It is the same story for any guy who has done something for a long time. You just have to get used to it,” he said. “But life marches on. At least I will still be around the kids (in the athletic department).”

Stewart said he has no plans to coach again.

“You can never say never, so I would hate to say no,” he said. “But right now, I am through coaching. It has been a lot of fun. But it is time to move on.”

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder