Anybody have solid info on the 20-4a district meet

Guest Two-Dogs...

Guest Two-Dogs...
Nederland is supposed to host it. I am just trying to be positive of the dates. My reason for this is I heard earlier the dates the district was looking at would conflict with the Texas Relays.

They don't conflict with Texas Relays, but it is hard for an athlete to compete the weekend of Texas Relays and then the following week have district.  For instance 22-3A district meet will be held on the Monday and Wednesday following Texas Relays.  So that would give our athletes 2 days to recover from Texas Relays, and it isn't worth taking our athletes to Texas Relays with such a short period between meets.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="Kris_Gilmore" post="949744" timestamp="1295284147"]
They don't conflict with Texas Relays, but it is hard for an athlete to compete the weekend of Texas Relays and then the following week have district.  For instance 22-3A district meet will be held on the Monday and Wednesday following Texas Relays.  So that would give our athletes 2 days to recover from Texas Relays, and it isn't worth taking our athletes to Texas Relays with such a short period between meets.
[/quote]

I believe 20-4a will be a tuesday and a thusday. My son high jumps, for high schoolers at the Texas relays that is a friday afternoon event. Plenty of recovery time for him.

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="949966" timestamp="1295312032"]
[quote author=dogs14 link=topic=78745.msg949772#msg949772 date=1295288775]
The schedule says that PNG is hosting.
[/quote]

What schedule are you looking at?
[/quote]

Ours coach's gave us a schedule and it said it was being held April 12th to 14th @ PNG.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="dogs14" post="950020" timestamp="1295314676"]
[quote author=Two-Dogs... link=topic=78745.msg949966#msg949966 date=1295312032]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ours coach's gave us a schedule and it said it was being held April 12th to 14th @ PNG.
[/quote]

I hope your coaches are correct! That would be awesome. I don't know how we can host it since we only have 7 lanes but if so that's great! I'm ready to get Track and Field underway in the golden triangle!

Coach told my son he was only scheduling PNG for 5 meets this year. How many meets is Ned planning to attend?

My son needs a few more meets than 5. I need a schedule really bad so I can get some things arranged!

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="950226" timestamp="1295328216"]
[quote author=dogs14 link=topic=78745.msg950020#msg950020 date=1295314676]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hope your coaches are correct! That would be awesome. I don't know how we can host it since we only have 7 lanes but if so that's great! I'm ready to get Track and Field underway in the golden triangle!

Coach told my son he was only scheduling PNG for 5 meets this year. How many meets is Ned planning to attend?

[b]My son needs a few more meets than 5[/b]. I need a schedule really bad so I can get some things arranged!
[/quote]

how old is your son.

if your son is an upperclassman and has been competing for a while, 5 is plenty leading up to the meets that really count IMO.

If the coach's intention is to keep the kids mentally fresh, kudos to him/her.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="dayton" post="950283" timestamp="1295360992"]
[quote author=Two-Dogs... link=topic=78745.msg950226#msg950226 date=1295328216]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]My son needs a few more meets than 5[/b]. I need a schedule really bad so I can get some things arranged!
[/quote]

how old is your son.

if your son is an upperclassman and has been competing for a while, 5 is plenty leading up to the meets that really count IMO.

[/quote]

Yes my son is a Sr. this year. He is a High Jumper. A pretty good one too. He needs more than 5 meets to prepare. Not many more, one or two though. We will be at the Texas Relays, and are in the process of looking for another meet of that type to attend. He needs to see some competition in high jump before regionals. Just dont seem to see many kids in this area that do well in high jump.

I dont know the coaches intentions with the schedule, however if you know anything about PNG track and field and the staff then you would have to doubt the scheduling is done this way to keep kids fresh IMO.

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="950309" timestamp="1295363465"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=78745.msg950283#msg950283 date=1295360992]
[quote author=Two-Dogs... link=topic=78745.msg950226#msg950226 date=1295328216]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

how old is your son.

[/quote]

Yes my son is a Sr. this year. He is a High Jumper. A pretty good one too. He needs more than 5 meets to prepare. Not many more, one or two though. We will be at the Texas Relays, and are in the process of looking for another meet of that type to attend. He needs to see some competition in high jump before regionals. Just dont seem to see many kids in this area that do well in high jump.

I dont know the coaches intentions with the schedule, however if you know anything about PNG track and field and the staff then you would have to doubt the scheduling is done this way to keep kids fresh IMO.
[/quote]

gotcha.... your son is who I thought he was.

I know nothing of PNG's staff etc....

IMO, the quality of the meets is more the issue than the number of meets.... as you also mentioned. There just isn't much focus on the high jump overall, so I can definitely see the issue of competion being a big one.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="dayton" post="950373" timestamp="1295371005"]
IMO, the quality of the meets is more the issue than the number of meets.... as you also mentioned. There just isn't much focus on the high jump overall, so I can definitely see the issue of competion being a big one.
[/quote]

Yes, the higher level of competition is what we are looking for. Last year he won at each meet without really warming up good. Really it is a shame because there is talent locally but everyone is soooo focused on other sports that really all of track and field take a back seat in this area. He needs to compete against guys that will be at seven feet and higher to really push him! Like anything else, the better your competition the better you are!

If we could find five meets with a high level of competition we would just go to them and then just show up at the district meet. I really believe my son will clear 7+ this season if he is pushed early enough. All of his higher marks have come at times when he HAD to do it to win. At the other meets he seems to just jump high enough to win. My son is very goal oriented and he has three goals for this season and I would really like to see him accomplish those goals!

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="950417" timestamp="1295375756"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=78745.msg950373#msg950373 date=1295371005]
[/quote]

Yes, the higher level of competition is what we are looking for. Last year he won at each meet without really warming up good. Really it is a shame because there is talent locally but everyone is soooo focused on other sports that really all of track and field take a back seat in this area. He needs to compete against guys that will be at seven feet and higher to really push him! Like anything else, the better your competition the better you are!

If we could find five meets with a high level of competition we would just go to them and then just show up at the district meet. I really believe my son will clear 7+ this season if he is pushed early enough. All of his higher marks have come at times when he HAD to do it to win. At the other meets he seems to just jump high enough to win. My son is very goal oriented and he has three goals for this season and I would really like to see him accomplish those goals!
[/quote]

Well i dont know if yall already are going but were going to dayton and barbers hill, but i cant guarantee that there will be big competition in the high jump section.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="dogs14" post="950592" timestamp="1295394635"]
[quote author=Two-Dogs... link=topic=78745.msg950417#msg950417 date=1295375756]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=78745.msg950373#msg950373 date=1295371005]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well i dont know if yall already are going but were going to dayton and barbers hill, but i cant guarantee that there will be big competition in the high jump section.
[/quote]

I don't know if we are going there or not. Still waiting on a schedule. Could possibly be some competition there. Crosby had a kid last couple of years that could jump and he may have been the same age as my son. I would be willing to bet though we are not going to those.

Guest Two-Dogs...
Guys, Thanks for everyone's input on this! Our schedule came out today and we are hosting the 20-4A District meet!!! Woo Hoo!!!

I am very excited about that! For those interested, here is the PNG Official Track and Field Schedule

[IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx8/Carzan/TrackSchedule0001.jpg[/img]

Guest tappedout
Two-Dog's,

At PNG are the kid's allowed to play baseball and run track? I see where a lot of the baseball game's are on the same date as the track meet's.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="tappedout" post="952269" timestamp="1295633665"]
Two-Dog's,

At PNG are the kid's allowed to play baseball and run track? I see where a lot of the baseball game's are on the same date as the track meet's.
[/quote]

Technically the answer would be yes. My son did it. In reality it doesn't work and baseball wins the struggle for time which is why my son no longer plays baseball. Last year all of our meets were on Thursdays which was supposed to help get more kids involved in track. That didn't work like planned either.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want your son to Jump against some good competition early - There is a UH indoor meet on Feb 5th - there was another one on Jan 15 that we went to.  Seemed to be competition from all over the state there (at least there was in the running side). register through directathletics.com

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="Raider42" post="957821" timestamp="1296445431"]
If you want your son to Jump against some good competition early - There is a UH indoor meet on Feb 5th - there was another one on Jan 15 that we went to.  Seemed to be competition from all over the state there (at least there was in the running side). register through directathletics.com
[/quote]

Thanks Raider42, we can't do anything until basketball ends for us. I was hoping more for something on some of the off weeks we have but it looks like his empty time may be taken up with visits to his future college team meets.  My son did do his first high jump drills of the season this Saturday.  He said it went well but he definitely needs time to work back into it. :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami