Kicking Camp

kicker

Would having a local, cheap kicking camp be worth it?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would having a local, cheap kicking camp be worth it?

• Yes, and would have good turnout.
    • Yes, but not many people would sign up.
    • Probably not
    • Nope, dont want or need one

I posted this on another topic, but maybe this poll is the best way to decide....

Just an idea, but i was going to try and do a kicking camp this summer. I am thinking about getting a few kickers to help me. kickers with experience ie. College, NFL, etc. Dont really want to charge for it except maybe a registration fee that will pay for the shirts that will be given out. The reason I am posting this, is to see if there is intrest in this locally. I would like your feedback, maybe ideas. Im not speaking for all schools in SETX, but im tired of seeing all these Austin area and Dallas area kickers getting all the awards/scholarships. We have plenty of talent here in SETX, just need specialized coaching. I would like to teach mechanics, mental toughness, and strenghth and conditioning, all for the kicking game only. The positions that I would offer at the camp would be placekicking, punting, snapping, and holding. kicking fieldgoals are a three headed monster. you have to have a good snapper, a holder that can adjust, and a kicker with the ability to improvise. All three have to work like a well oilled machine. Same for punting, you need a good snapper, great protection, and a punter that can alter his steps if he has to. These are the subjects I would like to have focused on. I have resourses to get the right coaches and instructors, but would also like volunteers to help. Like I said earlier, I would like yalls feedback on this and see if there would be enough intrest. Thanks

I agree there is plenty of undiscoverd talent here. We just spent two days in Dallas at a camp and his "report card" was good except for his follow through and the height on the ball. My only suggestion would be if your going to grade the kickers please have someone there to instruct them on how to correct what they are doing wrong. I would personally support this and help in any way possible.
I wish we could have walked away from the camp (which wasn't cheap) and him know what to do to correct his errors.

[quote name="Justafan1" post="945520" timestamp="1294687661"]
I agree there is plenty of undiscoverd talent here. We just spent two days in Dallas at a camp and his "report card" was good except for his follow through and the height on the ball. My only suggestion would be if your going to grade the kickers please have someone there to instruct them on how to correct what they are doing wrong. I would personally support this and help in any way possible.
I wish we could have walked away from the camp (which wasn't cheap) and him know what to do to correct his errors.
[/quote]

This is exactly what i am talking about. Back in my day, I went to alot of camps..UT, Notre Dame, etc, and all they did was do a demonstration and let you kick. Im talking about an INSTRUCTIONAL camp. Not one to make money. i would evaluate on the first day, or in the morning if one day and then TEACH the kids proper technique and fix their problems. There is not one camp I know about that does this. They take your money and you kick for three days with NO instruction, just critique. Well, in my opinion, what is the point?? i want to bring a camp to the area that is a step by step process to where at the end of the camp, you are a better kicker, and know what and how to fix flaws. Kicking is like golf, you always have to work on it. But mostly, you have to have the education to be able to trouble shoot if you get into a jamb. My scenario would be a 3 day camp. 1st day is evaluation and technique school. Second day is putting the technique that was taught to work along with the explanation of the mental game that is so important. 3rd day would be to fix any problems and to show the parents/guardians how much better you have become over the camp.

This is just a sketch of what I want to do and there will be changes to the plan/ schedule,  but this will not be a demonstration camp like all the others. This will be a camp that is like private lessons. Teaching theses kids how it all works, and making them better.

Sounds excellent. For all you kickers out there who haven't attended a camp read kickers last post. That is exactly what you are getting. A demo and they let you kick, they do not tell you how to correct your shortcomings (unless you pay extra for the private lessons).
Let me know if I can help. My son is a senior this year and we are left figuring out how to get height and follow through correct and our kicking days are over unless someone picks him up. I would be glad to be of assistance in any way.

Well being you are asking for opinions... Maybe your best interest would come from the area High School coaches. Maybe sending some emails to area AD's and getting feed back from them. Also contacting little league football associations.  ;) It's a good idea... if nothing else it would keep some kids busy and out of trouble.

Really not sure about alot of details at the momment. I wanted to see what the community thinks. As far as time, it would be in the Summer. im thinking during the week. This would help some parents that have to work to know where their kids are. Im thinking a wednesday through Friday. Age groups would probably start at around 8yrs or 9yrs old for instruction. The meat and potatoes would be 13-18 yrs. olds that need skills immediatly. I will contact some of the AD's and coaches and see what needs to be done, and also if there are any rules or regulations that need to be followed. The last thing I want to happen is to mess a kids UIL eligability up. like i said before, this is all in the infant stages. i believe that starting now is a good time. It gives me 5 or 6 months to figure all this out. I will post more on the subject as things progress. The main thing that I want to focus on is teaching. Not Demonstrating. Kids can get a demonstration watching Monday Night Football. I want these kids to learn the proper technique, be able to hown their skills and fix any problems that may occur on the fly. Thanks for the input, and keep it coming.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="946852" timestamp="1294856579"]
The one thing that I would see that you would also need to do is get a LOT of instructors as the type of camp you look to be running would seem to be pretty labor intensive.
[/quote]

Correct. I want a good student teacher ratio. If anyone has any connections i dont have, feel free to pass this idea along to them. The camp being labor intensive is the whole point. I know some parents send their kids to these camps, some can be as much as $3000.00, and all their kid gets is a T shirt and was able to meet some pro guys that flaunt their skills. i dont know about yall, but in this economy every dollar saved could mean keeping your lights on. lol. But anyways, that is the point INSTRUCTIONAL. Example: Someone posted about his sons fieldgoals are not going high enough, well thats a pretty easy fix with the right coach. The higher the follow through, the higher the ball. think of it as a golf shot....if your going to punch the ball, you stop your follow through and the golf ball stays low. If you are looking for a lob or a good wedge shot, you follow through as high as you can to get lift. Also, a drw and a slice would be compared to where your body is pointing to on initial contact of the football, and your ball will go where you follow through goes.the same principles apply in kicking.

[quote name="kicker" post="945423" timestamp="1294677416"]
I posted this on another topic, but maybe this poll is the best way to decide....

Just an idea, but i was going to try and do a kicking camp this summer. I am thinking about getting a few kickers to help me. kickers with experience ie. College, NFL, etc. Dont really want to charge for it except maybe a registration fee that will pay for the shirts that will be given out. The reason I am posting this, is to see if there is intrest in this locally. I would like your feedback, maybe ideas. Im not speaking for all schools in SETX, but im tired of seeing all these Austin area and Dallas area kickers getting all the awards/scholarships. We have plenty of talent here in SETX, just need specialized coaching. I would like to teach mechanics, mental toughness, and strenghth and conditioning, all for the kicking game only. The positions that I would offer at the camp would be placekicking, punting, snapping, and holding. kicking fieldgoals are a three headed monster. you have to have a good snapper, a holder that can adjust, and a kicker with the ability to improvise. All three have to work like a well oilled machine. Same for punting, you need a good snapper, great protection, and a punter that can alter his steps if he has to. These are the subjects I would like to have focused on. I have resourses to get the right coaches and instructors, but would also like volunteers to help. Like I said earlier, I would like yalls feedback on this and see if there would be enough intrest. Thanks
[/quote] Not a joke ... got a son whose a heck of a soccer player, but we dont have a soccer program at school ... has never kicked a football, but was playing around with friends and kicked it in from about the 30 ... would be interested in sending him to your camp

[quote name="td" post="949733" timestamp="1295281825"]
I would definately be interested for my son as long as our schedule allows us to be there.
[/quote]

Hey T, yeah he would be on the list for sure. If you would like to help me spear head this thing, please do. i know you have organizational experience, and this is my first rodeo on anything like this. If anyone wants to help me get this thing going, please, please do! One thing though, this is going to be a not for profit event. I am not making a dime off of this. There will be fees, but for shirts and any other items that may need purchase. If we could get some sponsors that would be awesome. Maybe we can try and contact some businesses that would like to help out. like i said, i have never done anything like this, so anyone that wants to team up and help make this a reality, you more than welcome. just PM me and well get the ball rolling. Ive already heard from one person that will be doing some instruction, so that makes two of us instructors so far.

[quote name="BigWildcat11" post="948419" timestamp="1295057765"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=78527.msg945423#msg945423 date=1294677416]

[/quote] Not a joke ... got a son whose a heck of a soccer player, but we dont have a soccer program at school ... has never kicked a football, but was playing around with friends and kicked it in from about the 30 ... would be interested in sending him to your camp
[/quote]

Thats great! one thing though, soccer kicking and fieldgoal kicking are opposites. just to help your son out, here is a little instruction. On a soccer kick, you put your knee over the ball to keep it low.. This is not what you want to do kicking a fieldgoal. When kicking a fieldgoal, you want your knee behind the ball, and want it "locked". Leg lock is key. you want your leg completely straight on the point of impact, this creates lift. It takes practice, but it is crucial. It will also change where you plant your foot.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder