WAC might replace Hawaii with Texas school

The WAC has three members in 2012 that would draw well in Beaumont and one was a past rival.  San Marcos, UTSA and La Tech.  I would not be against a move to the Sunbelt but why should they let Lamar come back?  And who are the big draws there, Ark State, ULL and ULM? the only one of those three that would be a rivalry is ULL.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="puddin tane" post="943599" timestamp="1294364746"]
read and educate yourselves on the WAC..automatic bids, etc...

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/11/21/wac-danger-life-support

http://college-basketball-bracketology.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26191645/26359986

joining for the sake of joining aint the answer...neither is the wac

but let's forget for a moment the WAC is in trouble (google [b]"WAC in danger"...[/b]atendance-sucks

"big FBS schools will come to Beaumont...."  who did the remaining WAC schools get to come to their place?

SJSU?-- uc davis and so utah
Idaho? N Dakota and UNLV
New mex? San Diego St.

i am not against a FBS move , but the WAC has no potential rivalry with lamar..whos been to utah or idaho?  we need to stay on this side of the US...sooner or later, we hook up with the sunbelt..or whatever its named after it re-organizes..one or both of the florida schools will bolt soon

don't drink the WAC kool-aide
[/quote]

The Sun Belt has no openings.  Why do you think Lamar will get an invite to it anytime soon?  You want to wait until all the good teams leave the Sun Belt then join up?  There's a lot of eastern teams that want to go FBS like Jax State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and others.  The Sun Belt would probably invite those teams before inviting Lamar.  Why wait 5 or 10 years for an invite that may never come?

If the WAC has an opening.. You took. You know why? You play there for 5 years, maybe more.. And then move to a BETTER conference. LU will not get the opportunity to go to a better conference than the WAC because they haven't proved theirselves in the Southland. You go to the WAC, do well and THEN, and only then, will Lamar get that opportunity.

You guys talk down on the WAC, but no other conference is going to offer LAMAR a spot.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="943758" timestamp="1294407434"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=78316.msg943658#msg943658 date=1294370352]You guys talk down on the WAC, but no other conference is going to offer LAMAR a spot.[/quote]

That is why TXST and UTSA are going WAC.

UTSA, particularly, wanted a better conference. Had no other options...
[/quote]

Terror, do you know if SHSU has any plans to talk to Benson next week?  Sounds like the WAC will be talking to multiple schools again.

Another thing to consider is the football coaches' salaries.  Texas State just signed Fran for a reportedly $350K/year and the payroll for the assistants will run around $800K/year.  Contrast that to Woodards $140K (?) a year plus around $350K/year for assistants.  Can Lamar afford to double that in the coming years?

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="943849" timestamp="1294417163"]
When we were in the Sun Belt we travelled to Jacksonville, Florida, Western Kentucky and South Alabama - I know that's not quite as far, but you aren't talking about a lot more mileage or airfare.
[/quote]

do what? ???
whether you are for or against..dude get a map!

Mobile is less than 400 miles away!  
San jose and sacremento are both over 2,000--- thats twice as far as the Florida schools

The WAC is also targeting ULL and UNT[again]. ULL, UNT, and La tech are bugger rivals than SFA and SHSU ever was and is.
Lets hope ULL and UNT jumps. I know UNT wants the CUSA invite, but that is unlikely. The WAC with

UTSA
TSU
Lamar
Denver
NM st
ULL
Missouri st....my future prediction
Ark st... would follow UNT and ULL.

is a better fit for UNT than the Sunbelt. Wake up UNT.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="943963" timestamp="1294428096"]
This season the WAC had 24 games that aired on free television (ESPN or other cable network), not counting bowl games, plus an additional 27 games that were on some pay subscription.  how many did the Souhtland have?
[/quote]

again,
that is/was the boise,nevada,fresno, hawaii WAC, not this bunch of leftover wac

take those schools outta your ciphering and add utsa and tex st

[quote name="UNLV" post="944001" timestamp="1294433860"]
The WAC is also targeting ULL and UNT[again]. ULL, UNT, and La tech are bugger rivals than SFA and SHSU ever was and is.
Lets hope ULL and UNT jumps. I know UNT wants the CUSA invite, but that is unlikely. The WAC with

UTSA
TSU
Lamar
Denver
NM st
ULL
Missouri st....my future prediction
Ark st... would follow UNT and ULL.

is a better fit for UNT than the Sunbelt. Wake up UNT.
[/quote]

as far as rivals, and i've been going since the late 60s....i'd have to say..not in order...mcneese, ULL,la tech, slam houston (flipping black rose game), ark st...probably left a couple off....never really gave nt much thought

I say that Terror is strangely silent these days and will not answer a direct question regarding Sam Houston's position regarding the WAC.  I think maybe they are working in the background to get this going and slip in past LU while Puddin Tane convinces everyone its a bad move for LU.  Then Terror going to have the last laugh and Puddin will help fullfill Terror's opinion of LU that we are bumbling fools.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="945590" timestamp="1294692468"]
I say that Terror is strangely silent these days and will not answer a direct question regarding Sam Houston's position regarding the WAC.  I think maybe they are working in the background to get this going and slip in past LU while Puddin Tane convinces everyone its a bad move for LU.  Then Terror going to have the last laugh and Puddin will help fullfill Terror's opinion of LU that we are bumbling fools.
[/quote]

What is there to say?

I know what SHSU's position is on the WAC and FBS, as do many of the people that post on KatFans.com - though specifics about FBS are spoke in private only.

The WAC is not a stable league and they need to add two more schools. Getting one only is a band-aid move, as two are truly needed to keep the league afloat. Getting SHSU and Lamar together would be a coup for stability. Does SHSU want that? We'll let UNLV figure that one out!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="945590" timestamp="1294692468"]
I say that Terror is strangely silent these days and will not answer a direct question regarding Sam Houston's position regarding the WAC.  I think maybe they are working in the background to get this going and slip in past LU while Puddin Tane convinces everyone its a bad move for LU.  Then Terror going to have the last laugh and Puddin will help fullfill Terror's opinion of LU that we are bumbling fools.
[/quote]

[b]oh what the H[/b]...i'll jump on the WAC Wagon...whoo hoo..bring on those natural rivals....utah, idaho, new mex... ..lets jump into the worst attended FBS conference, which..by adding Tx st...can only go down...I'm all for it...y'all have convinced me...lets jump just to jump.. Notre Dame will come to Beaumont...Lamar will save the dying WAC

[quote name="puddin tane" post="945662" timestamp="1294703819"]

[b]oh what the H[/b]...i'll jump on the WAC Wagon...whoo hoo..bring on those natural rivals....utah, idaho, new mex... ..lets jump into the worst attended FBS conference, which..by adding Tx st...can only go down...I'm all for it...y'all have convinced me...lets jump just to jump.. Notre Dame will come to Beaumont...Lamar will save the dying WAC
[/quote]

How bout you get on the horn with Wright Waters and see what you can do for Lamar getting back into the Sun Belt!!  Right now the SB only has 9 football playing members and will have 10 when USA football joins in 2013.  IMO the Sun Belt might be waiting to see how the WAC pans out and then make a move if any.  No where does it say the Sun Belt has to expand or invite Lamar.  Who knows UALR might be discussing adding football and then the SB would only need one school for a 12 team conference.  I would not care if Lamar went to the WAC or the Sun Belt but if Georgia State wants to move up They might have the upper hand on Lamar because  they are right in the middle of the Sun Belt and that would be a bigger TV market in Atlanta than Beaumont.  In both conferences Lamar would have to Travel. More to Moscaw for Idaho (2,233 miles) than Miami for FIU (1,114 miles) but either conference is better than the Southland as far as TV exposure goes.

Lamar travel WAC vs Sun Belt

WAC                                                             
Idaho = 2,233 miles                               
San Jose St = 1,968
Utah St. = 1,615
New Mexico St. = 872
La Tech = 234
Tx St. = 250
UTSA = 281                                 
Denver (Basketball) = 1,083
Sacramento St. (Baseball) = 2,019   

Football only travel = 7453      Total = 10,555

Sun Belt
FIU = 1,114
FAU = 1,074
Western Kentucky = 839
MTSU = 780
Troy = 556
Arkansas St. = 543
UALR (all sports but football) = 407
USA = 383
UNT = 336
ULM = 248
ULL = 137

Football only travel = 6,010    total = 6,417 miles

Football there is not that big of a difference but you do not travel to each school every year.  the non revenue sports have to do some travel in the WAC.

[quote name="Javelina" post="945744" timestamp="1294710434"]
Lamar travel WAC vs Sun Belt

WAC                                                               
Idaho = 2,233 miles                               
San Jose St = 1,968
Utah St. = 1,615
New Mexico St. = 872
La Tech = 234
Tx St. = 250
UTSA = 281                                   
Denver (Basketball) = 1,083
Sacramento St. (Baseball) = 2,019     

Football only travel = 7453      Total = 10,555

Sun Belt
FIU = 1,114
FAU = 1,074
Western Kentucky = 839
MTSU = 780
Troy = 556
Arkansas St. = 543
UALR (all sports but football) = 407
USA = 383
UNT = 336
ULM = 248
ULL = 137

Football only travel = 6,010    total = 6,417 miles

Football there is not that big of a difference but you do not travel to each school every year.  the non revenue sports have to do some travel in the WAC.
[/quote]

BUT...and i'm not saying the sunbelt wants us...

who would you rather pay to see every year?  Me, I'd rather see OO-la-la, and troy over idaho and utah st any day...I imagine alot of ticket holders would

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83