Is 5A really the "BIG" dawgs in Texas?

3BRONCOS2

IMO I think the best program in Texas might be LT right now "4 straight state championships with 3 different head coaches and 1 this year when we consider this to be an off year for them,because they lost i think 2 games",im not saying they are the #1 team in Texas. Denton Guyer and Cibolo Steele both was 4A last season, move up to 5A and beat everyone in D2 to play for state. So what do you think, can your team hold there own with anyone? Is a 4A or a 3A  team beating most 5A teams possible in your eyes?

I think it depends on the area. For example, in the suburbs of areas growing they are getting kids from all over moving into the community and alot of talent to pick from. You take an area like "Golden Triangle" where the population is actually decreasing and you only have the kids that parents have stayed here forever and a limited talent pool. So, I think you take the areas growing with 5A numbers and they beat probably most if not all 4A, unless it's a 4A school in one of the areas that growing and the school would be 5A in the new realignment. Hopefully that made sense ;D

I believe the top teams in 3A / 4A  can beat the average 5A teams but the issue is depth and # of players the 5A schools have. The top 1-5 players on each team is about the same but when you get to 6-10 and so on the 5A schools do not have as much drop off in talent. Most 3A / 4A teams a majority of the kids play both ways and in 5A there is enough talent to play specific positions. As the game goes on it takes a toll on the players lining up on a fresh player every other down.

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="938087" timestamp="1293216708"]
I believe the top teams in 3A / 4A  can beat the average 5A teams but the issue is depth and # of players the 5A schools have. The top 1-5 players on each team is about the same but when you get to 6-10 and so on the 5A schools do not have as much drop off in talent. Most 3A / 4A teams a majority of the kids play both ways and in 5A there is enough talent to play specific positions. As the game goes on it takes a toll on the players lining up on a fresh player every other down.
[/quote]
Agree, I think we both were trying to get to the same point, but you put it easier to understand. It's incredible the amount of new schools opening every year in texas. This is a huge difference of let's say the 80's and even early 90's where there was not near the amount of schools involved.

[quote name="Scooter!" post="938090" timestamp="1293216847"]
Just look at the D/FW area. Back in the day it was only a handful of elite teams, now everyone has moved to the metroplex and teams have gotten better. 3a on up.
[/quote]
I've been watching this trend for a while. I know there's some exceptions to the rule, but year in year out teams are the ones where everyone is moving to.

[quote name="3BRONCOS2" post="938093" timestamp="1293217809"]
Everything everyone is saying makes sence, but the whole Denton Guyer and Cibolo Steele bit. Both teams couldnt get a State title due to LT and others. First year in 5A both teams play for state. Thats got to tell you something.
[/quote]
Those areas are seeing big population growth. You didn't about LT until recently. That area is booming and to move there, you better bring a very large checkbook. I rode around there a couple of months ago, and all I can say is wow!

[quote name="3BRONCOS2" post="938077" timestamp="1293214978"]
IMO I think the best program in Texas might be LT right now "4 straight state championships with 3 different head coaches and 1 this year when we consider this to be an off year for them,because they lost i think 2 games",im not saying they are the #1 team in Texas. Denton Guyer and Cibolo Steele both was 4A last season, move up to 5A and beat everyone in D2 to play for state. So what do you think, can your team hold there own with anyone? Is a 4A or a 3A  team beating most 5A teams possible in your eyes?
[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing, and for the same reasons.  4A seems to be every bit as difficult as 5A, if not more.

[quote name="3BRONCOS2" post="938077" timestamp="1293214978"]
[/quote]

I think it depends on the match up. If a 4a team that passes a lot like LT plays another Passing that is 5a. I think you can throw out the classification. Only time I feel the classifications matter If a power running 5a team is playing a 4a team. I seen too many times a good 4a team get wore down by power running 5a teams.

[quote name="jabu84" post="938573" timestamp="1293440948"]
[quote author=3BRONCOS2 link=topic=77940.msg938077#msg938077 date=1293214978]
[/quote]

I think it depends on the match up. If a 4a team that passes a lot like LT plays another Passing that is 5a. I think you can throw out the classification. Only time I feel the classifications matter If a power running 5a team is playing a 4a team. I seen too many times a good 4a team get wore down by power running 5a teams.
[/quote]

Like you said depends on the match up. One of the best running teams is the state is Aledo if not the bast.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="939447" timestamp="1293658807"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=77940.msg939329#msg939329 date=1293638549]
Anyone heard of any move in or move outs in your area for the 2011 season?
[/quote]

Stewart is still recruiting, but we should hear something soon I would think.
[/quote]
Big Stu does his thing and does it well ;D Of course you have had a front row seat and know what im talkin about ;)

last year LT played and beat austin westlake who played for one of the 5A championships. I believe they lost in OT. I think depth is the problem not the talent level. I would put our first 6 OL against most other teams out there 7 on down we start losing ground and I mean no disrespect to thoes kids they just dont have the ability of the first 6.

[quote name="octfeb" post="939329" timestamp="1293638549"]
[/quote]
Tomball Memorial will be opening at the 3A level next school year, and Katy ISD just approved construction on HS #7. It will be by Seven Lakes and Cinco Ranch HS. CY-Fair also has Cy-Ranch that should be playing varsity. Alot of schools about to come on line in the Houston area. There's also a new one in Fort Bend in the Sienna Plantation neighborhood and Lamar Consolidated has a new HS. You ask why our area doesn't always do great in the playoffs, well look at all of the schools now.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="939447" timestamp="1293658807"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=77940.msg939329#msg939329 date=1293638549]
[/quote]

[s][b]Stewart is still recruiting[/b][/s], but we should hear something soon I would think.
[/quote]

Doubt it,but if so dont worry. We will leave all the BH "talent" alone.. :D

[quote name="Old76" post="940110" timestamp="1293766610"]
Has there ever been a situation where a lower classification team beat a higher classification team during the regular season and both teams go on to win the State Championship in their respective classification?
[/quote]

Believe so. I think in the 80's, we beat a 5A school that won state the same year we did. Also, I believe it was '97 season, but we beat Baycity in pre district, Lost to Lamarque in the 3rd round that year, and I believe Baycity won 4a D1 and Lamarque won 4A D2. Two state champs out of the same district. Man if we would have went D1, we probably win state that year. Dang Cougers. Always had our number. We got them in 2000 though.  ;D

[quote name="kicker" post="943811" timestamp="1294413341"]
[quote author=Old76 link=topic=77940.msg940110#msg940110 date=1293766610]
Has there ever been a situation where a lower classification team beat a higher classification team during the regular season and both teams go on to win the State Championship in their respective classification?
[/quote]

Believe so. I think in the 80's, we beat a 5A school that won state the same year we did. Also, I believe it was '97 season, but we beat Baycity in pre district, Lost to Lamarque in the 3rd round that year, and I believe Baycity won 4a D1 and Lamarque won 4A D2. Two state champs out of the same district. Man if we would have went D1, we probably win state that year. Dang Cougers. Always had our number. We got them in 2000 though.  ;D
[/quote]
Could you be a bit more specific.  I know for sure that in 1958 3-A Breckenridge beat 4-A Wichita Falls and both went on to win State

[quote name="Old76" post="944342" timestamp="1294456623"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=77940.msg943811#msg943811 date=1294413341]
[quote author=Old76 link=topic=77940.msg940110#msg940110 date=1293766610]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Could you be a bit more specific.  I know for sure that in 1958 3-A Breckenridge beat 4-A Wichita Falls and both went on to win State
[/quote]

Thats about as specific it gets out of me. lol. I was about 6 or 7 years old when it happened. Im sure WOSGrad or Gasilla can confirm or deny this, but I believe we beat Aldine macarthur or Nimitz in pre district, and we won state and I think they won state in 5A

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami