HJ @ Nederland

UncleDrew

[quote name="dogs1218" post="917291" timestamp="1290533128"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=76408.msg917277#msg917277 date=1290532466]
[quote author=Wildcatter link=topic=76408.msg917113#msg917113 date=1290491356]
The press vs the 3.  If HJ presses well then even if they beat press it is just a 2. Those guys will pass a layup to get the 3 ball going.  Should be a great game, anxious to see how the fresh does in his second game.  Good luck to both teams.
[/quote]If you look at it that way, then you've never seen an HJ press.  They will get a steal here or there once in a while and then all of a sudden they will score 10 points in 40 seconds if the other team falls asleep.  Nederland is going to have to limit those runs.

I am looking forward to a good game tonight, and though I think HJ will win, I do remember when Nederland came over to our court and killed us 2 years ago.  Ya'll had a small guard that hit like 50 points, mostly from the three point line.  Your guys took advantage of the 3 starters who had played JV the previous year.  That was sad, but it was fun watching those three mature throughout the year.
[/quote]

I think this team this year handles the press better most of the groups in the past. HJ may get a turnover here and there in fast break of a turnover, but I cant imagine Nederland letting HJ score 10 in a row without some kind of score. Cunningham and K-Smith are 2 of the top players in the area and can score the basketball. Im not sure how the big guys for HJ are going to do against Kelvin down low either. And just imagine if Forney was healthy and ready to go. Nederland would pound it in the paint all night.
As you can tell, I think Nederland is going to win tonight, but it will be a good one because HJ comes to play every night.
[/quote]  While you are imagining, I would like to imagine things for HJ if their two missing starters were also playing

[quote name="stevenash" post="917299" timestamp="1290533460"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=76408.msg917291#msg917291 date=1290533128]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=76408.msg917277#msg917277 date=1290532466]
The press vs the 3.  If HJ presses well then even if they beat press it is just a 2. Those guys will pass a layup to get the 3 ball going.  Should be a great game, anxious to see how the fresh does in his second game.  Good luck to both teams.
[/quote]If you look at it that way, then you've never seen an HJ press.  They will get a steal here or there once in a while and then all of a sudden they will score 10 points in 40 seconds if the other team falls asleep.  Nederland is going to have to limit those runs.

I am looking forward to a good game tonight, and though I think HJ will win, I do remember when Nederland came over to our court and killed us 2 years ago.  Ya'll had a small guard that hit like 50 points, mostly from the three point line.  Your guys took advantage of the 3 starters who had played JV the previous year.  That was sad, but it was fun watching those three mature throughout the year.
[/quote]

I think this team this year handles the press better most of the groups in the past. HJ may get a turnover here and there in fast break of a turnover, but I cant imagine Nederland letting HJ score 10 in a row without some kind of score. Cunningham and K-Smith are 2 of the top players in the area and can score the basketball. Im not sure how the big guys for HJ are going to do against Kelvin down low either. And just imagine if Forney was healthy and ready to go. Nederland would pound it in the paint all night.
As you can tell, I think Nederland is going to win tonight, but it will be a good one because HJ comes to play every night.
[/quote]  While you are imagining, I would like to imagine things for HJ if their two missing starters were also playing
[/quote]

Well then I guess we both are just imagining things..

[quote name="dogs1218" post="917291" timestamp="1290533128"]

[/quote]
[/quote]Yeah, I heard Forney is a beast under the basket.  They didn't use him very well at all the last time he was at HJ....... he just filled up the lane.  But I understand Nederland came around to realize that he was an offensive force, which helped propel them into the play-offs (Go 'Dogs!).

HJ is missing our center, Will Anderson, who would have matched up better with Forney.  Will might be able to come back but he hurt his knee the last game of football.

We'll see how the press works tonight.  Good luck, guys!

I have to go with the dogs.  Especially with a son playing.  However, I see this game as win-win for both teams whether they win or lose.  Playing quality opponents in preseason prepares a team for district.  Those teams that play weak opponents in pre-season to get a good record are never ready when the games that matter start. 

Like I said earlier, a clean sweep by the Bulldogs.  The program run by Coach English is awesome.  He works with all levels and they respect him
and it shows on the court.  All three teams played great tonight, and the Varsity ended the night with an intense game.  When you show young men a love of the game, they give that back to you in their desire to win.  It shows in the program at Nederland, and I can say that the community is blessed to have the drive Coach English brings to the school, and the quality of coaching he gives our boys.  Thanks Coach English, Coach Jardell, and Coach Kilcrest for an amazing night in the Dome.  Go Bulldogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="Pupmom" post="917867" timestamp="1290572279"]
Like I said earlier, a clean sweep by the Bulldogs.  The program run by Coach English is awesome.  He works with all levels and they respect him
and it shows on the court.  All three teams played great tonight, and the Varsity ended the night with an intense game.  When you show young men a love of the game, they give that back to you in their desire to win.  It shows in the program at Nederland, and I can say that the community is blessed to have the drive Coach English brings to the school, and the quality of coaching he gives our boys.  Thanks Coach English, Coach Jardell, and Coach Kilcrest for an amazing night in the Dome.  Go Bulldogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
Congrats on the sweep Bulldogs & Pupmom, but if you were there, in no way did the Nederland JV dominate HJ like they did in the second half of the game at the BC tournament.  HJ as well as Nederland certainly had their opportunities to win in regulation but the OT final score in no way reflects how close the game actually was.   

Yes HJ was the better team for 30 minutes in the JV game. They should have won in regulation. But anything can happen and they let their foot off the petal for just a secon and it was enough for Big Ned. The varsity game was played hard by both teams Ned just had to much depth for HJ. The press just wasn't forcing the turnovers it needs too for HJ to win. I think they will have much better luck with 3A opponents who won't have as much depth.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="917918" timestamp="1290578990"]
Yes HJ was the better team for 30 minutes in the JV game. They should have won in regulation. But anything can happen and they let their foot off the petal for just a secon and it was enough for Big Ned. The varsity game was played hard by both teams Ned just had to much depth for HJ. The press just wasn't forcing the turnovers it needs too for HJ to win. I think they will have much better luck with [b]3A opponents who won't have as much depth.[/b]
[/quote]
I can name a 3A team that has depth and I can also name a 3A team that would give Nederland a run for their money  ;D

[quote name="Tiger05" post="918019" timestamp="1290611884"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=76408.msg917918#msg917918 date=1290578990]
Yes HJ was the better team for 30 minutes in the JV game. They should have won in regulation. But anything can happen and they let their foot off the petal for just a secon and it was enough for Big Ned. The varsity game was played hard by both teams Ned just had to much depth for HJ. The press just wasn't forcing the turnovers it needs too for HJ to win. I think they will have much better luck with [b]3A opponents who won't have as much depth.[/b]
[/quote]
I can name a 3A team that has depth and I can also name a 3A team that would give Nederland a run for their money  ;D
[/quote]
I can name quite a few! H-J being one, when healthy.....

[quote name="HJ2012" post="918023" timestamp="1290612072"]
[quote author=Tiger05 link=topic=76408.msg918019#msg918019 date=1290611884]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=76408.msg917918#msg917918 date=1290578990]
The varsity game was played hard by both teams Ned just had to much depth for HJ. The press just wasn't forcing the turnovers it needs too for HJ to win. I think they will have much better luck with [b]3A opponents who won't have as much depth.[/b]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I can name quite a few! H-J being one, when healthy.....
[/quote]
Of course there are 3A teams that can give Nederland a game but don't make health an excuse for H-J last night.  Both teams had health issues with key players.  Nederland had Forney out and Pitts was sick and only played a few minutes.  You play the players you have at the time.  H-J will be fine.

oh well.  it's only one game.  You have to play with who you have and take the victory of the defeat.  Did you really think that HJ, Nederland, or any other team in SE Texas is going to run the table and go undefeated?  Relax, there is a lot more basketball to play.  Enjoy these early games and see what your team is made of and how they grow as the season goes on. 
I expext both teams to make a good run in the playoffs.  Sorry i missed the game and had to rely on the website for the updates. 

[quote name="HJ2012" post="918017" timestamp="1290611588"]
Well, HJ's jv is going to be good! I mean just compare the games. The jv team had something to prove, which was that they are not the team their record reflects.
[/quote]

I didn't see the JV game but i can tell you something about HJ's JV. They played that game alot closer than I expected. Nederland's under levels are among the best in the area. Freshman and JV.

And the Varsity is "ok"  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder