What happened to our sister site Eastexsports???

Guys, I'll be honest, and Jordan and I as well as Todd have talked about this... This may be the perfect time to let the thing go... I understand that Chad or whoever wants to talk about how much work Brad has done, I don't even want to hear it....  He has spent about a 1/10000 of the time I have and we have seen no results....

If anything I would do what Chad suggested, add an East Texas section to the board, but I don't even know if I would waste my time with that...

I was actually surprised (not at Brad's reaction because he contacted me, too) that there was some inquiry about EastexSports.  I kind of reminds me of the end of Lamar football in the late 1980's.  No one went there and now that it is gone, people are in an uproar.  

I actually floated the same idea that Chad has with Jereme and Jordan yesterday if we are truly at the point of demise for EastexSports.com. The idea of a forum for areas outside of the original SETX coverage area may be an idea we want to consider not only for East Texas, but for the Houston area as well as there has been a bit of interest from that area.  And combine that with a slight expansion of our coverage area to include Diboll, Center and Huntington (maybe even Lufkin) and we'd still be able to cover what the SETX/Eastex family was covering previously.

And I looked at the numbers last week.  During non-basketball months, the message board at EastexSports was garnering anywhere from 40-45 K page views per month.  Peak was usually November and December where the site would hit 100-110 K with I believe in November 2008 that was at 120K.  To put that in some perspective, SETXsports.com had 110K page views yesterday.  

Now, of course, we should not expect EastexSports to be pulling the same numbers as SETXsports as they don't have the advantage of the tv partnership SETXsports has nor does SETX have the competition (smoaky.com) that EastexSports has.  But if you look at the numbers, there has been no descernable increase in the page views since the site began.

All that being said, while we can all have our input, but I think the final decision lies with Jereme and Jordan. If they believe that effort and money is being wasted with EastexSports.com remaining active, then it is time to put it to rest.

I think the time may be right for a Houston only forum, there have been some indications of increased interest from the Houston area.  Although the traffic from Houston is not enough to have its own site as was tried a few years back or even number of forums to the extent we would consider for East Texas, but I think a Houston forum would generate some traffic.

Guys I agree that a forum MIGHT work.... But then we run into the same problem.... If we have an East Texas forum, someone has to provide the content for it.... And then people still have to visit the Forums.... Todd showed you guys the numbers, even in our best months, we get in one month what you get in ONE DAY....

My question is, why waste someone's time and effort on an East Texas section, when it had it's own site and no one was there?

Who is going to maintain it? One of the benefits of dropping the site was me getting to focus on SETX and what is going on down here and if we open up an East Texas board, then there I am again tied up in that....

Todd hit the nail on the head earlier, no one cared about the site until it's gone.... And I'm sorry that Brad has worked hard on information the last few weeks when I've busted my tail on that site for years now....

It's just part of it I guess, I don't know....

[quote name="HubTx" post="910566" timestamp="1289922397"]
Guys I agree that a forum MIGHT work.... But then we run into the same problem.... If we have an East Texas forum, someone has to provide the content for it.... And then people still have to visit the Forums.... Todd showed you guys the numbers, even in our best months, we get in one month what you get in ONE DAY....

My question is, why waste someone's time and effort on an East Texas section, when it had it's own site and no one was there?

Who is going to maintain it? One of the benefits of dropping the site was me getting to focus on SETX and what is going on down here and if we open up an East Texas board, then there I am again tied up in that....

Todd hit the nail on the head earlier, no one cared about the site until it's gone.... And I'm sorry that Brad has worked hard on information the last few weeks when I've busted my tail on that site for years now....

[/quote]

What I was envisioning was a forum that did not require near the upkeep for football that was required of you this year.  Put schedules at the beginning of the season and (MAYBE) standings...and that would be under coverage area you had for the past two weeks...and that would be all for football season.  No previews, no updating of schedules with scores or a scoreboard or anything like that.  The other content would be provided by the posters themselves.

As for for basketball, I'd say make Brad a mod, wind him up and let him go do any and all that he is willing to do.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="910588" timestamp="1289923948"]
[quote author=HubTx link=topic=76186.msg910566#msg910566 date=1289922397]

[/quote]

What I was envisioning was a forum that did not require near the upkeep for football that was required of you this year.  Put schedules at the beginning of the season and (MAYBE) standings...and that would be under coverage area you had for the past two weeks...and that would be all for football season.  No previews, no updating of schedules with scores or a scoreboard or anything like that.  The other content would be provided by the posters themselves.

As for for basketball, I'd say make Brad a mod, wind him up and let him go do any and all that he is willing to do.
[/quote]

Brad doesn't need to be wound up, he is wound tight as he can get now. ;D

A basketball forum would work because Brad would make it work as far as getting content. Now getting interest, that's another issue.

again, I say try a Eastex basketball forum and see how that works and go from there.

I do recall the past attempts to have some sort of Houston board.  First, by no means am I suggesting a another htx.com.  But from what I recall, and this is admittedly an outside view as I wasn't here at the time, the attempt at a Houston forum appeared to be more of an attempt to pare the western part of SETXsports (District 19-4A and 22-3A) out than to cater to a Houston audience.  But this year alone, we have had people from part of the houston area and it appears to be a bit more traffic than in past years.  I've noticed posters from Brenham, Montgomery, La Porte, Friendswood and other parts of 24-4A that view and post an a pretty regular basis.  I can't disagree with those who say it may not be a basis to start a new forum and I definitely agree that it isn't enough for a complete other site, but there are folks who once they get in there (I am thinking of Brenham fan for one) may help increase our traffic.  I envision those folks doing the lions share on info over there if we do it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124