Are HS Coaches To Blame For The Failure of Athletes Not Getting Into College

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="speechless" post="903294" timestamp="1289406012"]
hmmm....check out the pictures taken on signing day...tell me how many AAU guys are there with the kids?

[quote]One other thing, I can also state that getting kids scholarships is NOT a primary responsibility to the coaches. Once school started this fall, we recieved several letters that were sent to my son c/o the athletic department at the school. the thing is they were postmarked early last May when school was still in session. So even passing along letters isn't a priority! [/quote]

So because your coach didn't hand your kids letters then you lump ALL coaches into that category?  Thats a pretty harsh stereotype isn't it?  To say ALL coaches are that way?
[/quote]

I'm not trying to stereotype all coaches. I'm sure there are plenty out there who are passing along letters in a timely fashion. Heck, I feel confident there are even some out there who work to get scholarships for their kids. But it definitely is NOT their responsibility and they are definitely NOT at fault if your kid does not get a scholarship. I bet it's not anywhere in any HS coaches contract where he is to work to get scholarship money for his athletes. To me the bottom line is you gotta have the talent, work to get noticed and go out and represent yourself to the recruiters.

With the amount of colleges that are out there and so many ways to get noticed by college scouts, you really can't put much blame on coaches for that happening, but having a coach that is proactive in getting his players seen sure doesn't hurt either. I also believe that getting his players into colleges should be one of his main concerns, not just by putting their names out, but by helping to improve their physical abilities as players. It does take hard work by the player himself though for his full potential to be realized.

Why is this question even being asked?  Why is it necessary to blame somebody?

If an athelete in any sport that wants a scholarship and doesn't get one blame the athletes genetics.  Or if the athelete is talented enough but doesn't get a scholarship blame his character or grades or work ethic or whatever else about the athelete that caused some college coach to not want him.

Don't blame his HS coach.  Young atheletes need to learn to take responsibility for themselves and learn that they control their own destininy.  If they don't make it in sports it isn't the end of the world life is full of disapointment, Young adults need to learn to deal with it and move on.

Few coaches have enough clout with college coaches/scouts to get a kid into a college.  Yes, they could possibly give a bad recommendation or conversely, they can work hard to get the kid's name and video out there, but I agree that the kid and the parent has the responsibility to apply, to send tapes, to call, to visit, etc.  Just as a kid has to highlight his or her deserving qualities in an academic application, the athlete must send out links to his/her Youtube video and have the stats to back it up. 

The coaches are ABSOLUTELY NOT to blame. Going through the process myself now as we speak. It all starts with the student, and with that I mean grades, dedication in practicing during the offseason (most times by yourself), then the parents need to assist. I have a close friend who is an active coach with Iowa State. We have had this conversation many times. Camps, camps, and more camps is the best way. This is the parents responsibility. Parents need to have a serious talk with the student and the coaches together, come up with a game plan and work with each other. Parents and kids need to realistically evaluate the talent and apply to schools that they can fit into. Maybe not Div1, maybe a Div2 or 3. If the student is not receiving any offers there is a reason. It's the parents who need to be persistant in this proces and have the coaches honest opinion. Then obtain help from anyone who offers. Then if something get offered great, if nothing happens you can look back with No regrets.
Just my .02 cents.

[quote name="Justafan1" post="910470" timestamp="1289915037"]
The coaches are ABSOLUTELY NOT to blame. Going through the process myself now as we speak. It all starts with the student, and with that I mean grades, dedication in practicing during the offseason (most times by yourself), then the parents need to assist. I have a close friend who is an active coach with Iowa State. We have had this conversation many times. Camps, camps, and more camps is the best way. This is the parents responsibility. Parents need to have a serious talk with the student and the coaches together, come up with a game plan and work with each other. Parents and kids need to realistically evaluate the talent and apply to schools that they can fit into. Maybe not Div1, maybe a Div2 or 3. If the student is not receiving any offers there is a reason. It's the parents who need to be persistant in this proces and have the coaches honest opinion. Then obtain help from anyone who offers. Then if something get offered great, if nothing happens you can look back with No regrets.
Just my .02 cents.[/quote]

Good post
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• It has been frustrating seeing the lack of coverage from virtually EVERY media outlet.  We (Chester) are in the SE Texas coverage area.  There are no radio broadcast from our area, and Ch 12 is the only one that has even mentioned it.   I know I could have gotten donations to cover a SETX Sports broadcast.  Oh well, water under the bridge - we aren’t as big as Silsbee, WO-S or PN-G.
    • PJ LOCKE                                DENVER BRONCOS               BMT CENTRAL  GRAYLAND ARNOLD           PITTSBURGH STEELERS        KOUNTZE  ELANDON ROBERTS             PITTSBURGH STEELERS        P.A MEMORIAL  TONY BROWN                   CLEVELAND BROWNS              BMT OZEN  ERIK MCCOY                        NEW ORLEANS SAINTS               LUFKIN  DAN MOORE                    PITTSBURGH STEELERS                BMT WESTBROOK  ROSCHON JOHNSON          CHICAGO BEARS                      PNG    PLAYERS I COULD COME UP WITH IN NFL.  NOT SURE IF ALL ARE STILL WITH CURRENT TEAMS. 
    • Folks making $65K a year are struggling too. Which equates to more than $31/hr. Don't act like you think current costs and the economy are favorable for the every day middle class family.
    • They put him back in the box.  Luckily we won anyway, but I don’t think I’d ever seen that before.  That’s one of the things I love about baseball - you NEVER know what you’ll see.
    • Yep I thought the bullpen was gonna blow it but they held o 8-5.  
  • Topics