Port Arthur Memorial

sfa87

I understand "the way of life" in PA...I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods in Houston.  I played against Yates, BT Washington, Jones, Furr, Kashmere, Sam houston, Reagan, Worthing....It is a different life than "the West End"...My kids look at me and have hard time believing their father has been stabbed, shot at, jumped, jacked, I cheated death many times....thank God, he granted me with the courage to be able keep them away from that life...it doesn't mean their "soft"...or
"they ain't down"...I told them, I lived the life you'll never have to see, just take my word of advice when it comes to the street.....  When we go to Chicago, where I was born, there certain hair cuts a person may have... you can't drive thru certain neighborhoods with..If I can avoid the neighborhoods, believe me we do...If you got to drive down 26th Street in Chi-Town make sure you don't have a shaved head(that's me, but not by choice ;)).. respect their "Laws"...THAT IS THE LIFE THEY CHOOSE!!.......
  [b] I CHOSE[/b] a different life.  WESTEND1 probably knows me better than anyone else on this board.  You have to be willing to let go of the street...the street will tell you there's nothing else...there's no hope...People spend their entire life blaming systems and our government for their poverty....you have to learn to fight....fight till you're in tears..., then fight some more!! When all your love one's doubt everything that you're doing keep going, because don't look fast, but you're separating yourself, hopefully in the right direction!...nothing is easy....nothing is free...NOTHING!

at one point or another I believe our society began to feel the world owed them something....and I do believe that is how "ghetto's" were created...you can NEVER deny hard work....NEVER!  The kids in "the West End" work hard, the distraction outside of school...gees, their teenagers, everything is a distraction.  The more excuses one makes, the more wrong the person becomes...excuses will paralyze a man in a hiccup , staying focused and working to achieve your goal, will make a man stronger and a heck of a lot closer to success. ;)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Port Arthur has NO real Ghettos......That statement right there proves your ignorant to the fact to even have this discussion.....THE LONG's which you wouldnt dare drive thru.........Carver Terrace, Prince Hall  need i say more...........Although most of them have either been cleaned up and or rebuilt or moved......Don't tell me there are no real Ghettos in Port Arthur....You have no clue of what goes on in these places!!! And im not saying to use it as a crutch and or an excuse....Every kid can make his own decision and either work hard to get out of these places or continue to do the thing that go on in these places and go nowhere...Its a choice.....MIND OVER MATTER IS MY MOTTO!!

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="889051" timestamp="1288214241"]
I understand "the way of life" in PA...I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods in Houston.  I played against Yates, BT Washington, Jones, Furr, Kashmere, Sam houston, Reagan, Worthing....It is a different life than "the West End"...My kids look at me and have hard time believing their father has been stabbed, shot at, jumped, jacked, I cheated death many times....thank God, he granted me with the courage to be able keep them away from that life...it doesn't mean their "soft"...or
"they ain't down"...I told them, I lived the life you'll never have to see, just take my word of advice when it comes to the street.....  When we go to Chicago, where I was born, there certain hair cuts a person may have... you can't drive thru certain neighborhoods with..If I can avoid the neighborhoods, believe me we do...If you got to drive down 26th Street in Chi-Town make sure you don't have a shaved head(that's me, but not by choice ;)).. respect their "Laws"...THAT IS THE LIFE THEY CHOOSE!!.......
  [b] I CHOSE[/b] a different life.  WESTEND1 probably knows me better than anyone else on this board.  You have to be willing to let go of the street...the street will tell you there's nothing else...there's no hope...People spend their entire life blaming systems and our government for their poverty....you have to learn to fight....fight till you're in tears..., then fight some more!! When all your love one's doubt everything that you're doing keep going, because don't look fast, but you're separating yourself, hopefully in the right direction!...nothing is easy....nothing is free...NOTHING!

at one point or another I believe our society began to feel the world owed them something....and I do believe that is how "ghetto's" were created...you can NEVER deny hard work....NEVER!  The kids in "the West End" work hard, the distraction outside of school...gees, their teenagers, everything is a distraction.  The more excuses one makes, the more wrong the person becomes...excuses will paralyze a man in a hiccup , staying focused and working to achieve your goal, will make a man stronger and a heck of a lot closer to success. ;)

[/quote]

wow...never meet you but this statement is very well put and needs to be expressed to all the "you owe me" generation....bravo

[/quote]

Best post ever.....Hey Sgt Rey...I WENT to Reagan.....lived in one of the worst neighborhoods in Houston....and you're right, YOU have to WANT to be better, most sit back and use it as an excuse.....I made my life better, nothing was given to me, everyone had the same oppurtunity I had. Then when you go back to where you came from, everybody looks at you crazy thinking you're "Acting better than them"......Not sure what this has to do with football, but you are absolutely right.

Hey, I agree with sgt rey. The fact of the matter its all about choice either you will use a bad situation as motivation or you will let it consume you. Ever man on this board has gone through something or has just came out of something (black, mexican,white all nationalities. Its real sad that it has come to this. If the bleacher coaches see how their community is do something about it volunteer your services to some programs or start one. 
Keep saying how its more than football its because yall make it more than football I know what it is but I will not say it because I'm not that type of person I have witnessed it gone through it. These kids can't even lose a game with out the fans running out on them. 

Guest tappedout
One of the big problem's at Memorial is the parent's are alway's blaming the coaches in front of the player's. Last year at the YMBL basketball tournament Memorial was playing Heritage Christian who had way more talent. It wasn't 3 minute's into the game and Memorial's best player was on the bench in foul trouble. Who did they blame? The coach caught heck the whole game, it was pretty rediculous. Sometime's team's just have more talent and better than the other. But the Memorial fan's blame everything on the coaches and nothing toward's their kid's. A lot of time's coaches are teaching the right thing's but the player's just don't execute. PNG has a 2nd year coach and this season has been a lot like Memorial's. So by no mean's would I think Memorial should be further along than they are. How many of the Memorial kid's parent's spent the money for their kid's training during the summer to help them get bigger,stronger, and faster? Not many, they don't have it near as good as other kid's at different school's.

[/quote]

Great post..Sgt...I have a new born respect for you now.. ;)

[quote name="tappedout" post="889067" timestamp="1288216200"]
One of the big problem's at Memorial is the parent's are alway's blaming the coaches in front of the player's. Last year at the YMBL basketball tournament Memorial was playing Heritage Christian who had way more talent. It wasn't 3 minute's into the game and Memorial's best player was on the bench in foul trouble. Who did they blame? The coach caught heck the whole game, it was pretty rediculous. Sometime's team's just have more talent and better than the other. But the Memorial fan's blame everything on the coaches and nothing toward's their kid's. A lot of time's coaches are teaching the right thing's but the player's just don't execute. PNG has a 2nd year coach and this season has been a lot like Memorial's. So by no mean's would I think Memorial should be further along than they are. How many of the Memorial kid's parent's spent the money for their kid's training during the summer to help them get bigger,stronger, and faster? Not many, they don't have it near as good as other kid's at different school's.
[/quote]
That's just a sign of times......Coaches are expected to win INSTANTLY...it's "Keeping up with the Jone's"...Coaches arent in control....the admins and the parents are. Coaches CAN'T develop a system....CAN'T get community support...are forced to play their best players out of position....etc. 2 years in and people are already bashing the coach. I'm a Katy guy........people wonder HOW they got the community support, the same system going...etc......it came with PATIENCE......check this out....Coach Johnston took over Katy in 82.......his first 4 seasons he went 8-32....TODAY....NO coach would still have their job if they started 8-32 in 4 years....the next 10 seasons he went 89-29...and everything he implemented is still working today.

PAM fans just need to relax, Rome wasn't built in a day.

[quote name="pe2009" post="889076" timestamp="1288216989"]
[quote author=tappedout link=topic=75015.msg889067#msg889067 date=1288216200]
[/quote]
That's just a sign of times......Coaches are expected to win INSTANTLY...it's "Keeping up with the Jone's"...Coaches arent in control....the admins and the parents are. Coaches CAN'T develop a system....CAN'T get community support...are forced to play their best players out of position....etc. 2 years in and people are already bashing the coach. I'm a Katy guy........people wonder HOW they got the community support, the same system going...etc......it came with PATIENCE......check this out....Coach Johnston took over Katy in 82.......his first 4 seasons he went 8-32....TODAY....NO coach would still have their job if they started 8-32 in 4 years....the next 10 seasons he went 89-29...and everything he implemented is still working today.

PAM fans just need to relax, Rome wasn't built in a day.
[/quote]

Well said and something Titan fans need to hear.  I pray I see the day that the coaches and kids of PAISD recieve the support they deserve

Good posts rey.. I am from the northend of BMT.  I have been stabbed, shot at, and had a brother shot.  I have uncles and first cousins doing major time for murder and drug traficing.  I am a Chemical Engineer...  I feel ya on being determined to get out  I had an advantage because I had a twwo parent household.  I was exposed to some successful people early in life too.  I think exposure is half the issue.  To want better you have to see better.  I also believe that there are way mor followers born than leaders.  It is leaders like you and I Rey that make it out... Only a few followers follow thaat minority.  Most are just a victim of their surroundings.  My cousin is from Desoto.  He taught school in the North end of BMT and now teaches in OakCliff...  he sometimes is totally amazed by what he sees!!!

Coach Harrison has a large task and he is doing a bang-up job!!!!

[quote name="tappedout" post="889061" timestamp="1288215529"]
LULUJUJU,

Whatever you do, watch what you say to Scalp'em. I believe he is a detective and may wrongfully accuse you of something.
[/quote]
what's that suppose to mean? Guys on here that know me know I'm a good dude. Can the sMe be said about you?

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="889053" timestamp="1288214417"]
Port Arthur has NO real Ghettos......That statement right there proves your ignorant to the fact to even have this discussion.....THE LONG's which you wouldnt dare drive thru.........Carver Terrace, Prince Hall  need i say more...........Although most of them have either been cleaned up and or rebuilt or moved......Don't tell me there are no real Ghettos in Port Arthur....You have no clue of what goes on in these places!!! And im not saying to use it as a crutch and or an excuse....Every kid can make his own decision and either work hard to get out of these places or continue to do the thing that go on in these places and go nowhere...Its a choice.....MIND OVER MATTER IS MY MOTTO!!
[/quote]
your right I don't know anything about those places ;) I could tell you stories that would make your head spin, but I don't know anything.

Guest tappedout
I don't want to hear no stories as I grew up in a lot of situation's that wasn't very pleasant. A lot of kid's don't have the guidance and fall in with the wrong crowd's. Then the drug's and violence enter their lives. When you've faced near death situation's and then be on the other end of it is very chilling. You never know what a lot of these kid's are going through. They may have choices but sometime's it's not as easy as it sound's. I've heard that Kenny and a couple of other coaches are like father figure's to several of these young men. I know I have read stories about the coaches over at WOS doing the same. In area's like PA and Orange, these kid's need more than just a coach.

[quote name="tappedout" post="889394" timestamp="1288246694"]
I don't want to hear no stories as I grew up in a lot of situation's that wasn't very pleasant. A lot of kid's don't have the guidance and fall in with the wrong crowd's. Then the drug's and violence enter their lives. When you've faced near death situation's and then be on the other end of it is very chilling. You never know what a lot of these kid's are going through. They may have choices but sometime's it's not as easy as it sound's. I've heard that Kenny and a couple of other coaches are like father figure's to several of these young men. I know I have read stories about the coaches over at WOS doing the same. In area's like PA and Orange, these kid's need more than just a coach.
[/quote]
You're correct tapped....I left home at 13 and lived with several former friends of mine....I returned home for my senior year, but yes, I do remember searching for father figures and in high school it was my head coach(once i settled in Spring Branch)...It's quite a sad situation...my father saw me play in the 7th grade ( a football game), my mother saw one game too my sophomore year(a football game)...Guys, in addition to football, I played basketball, ran track, baseball(was really a pinch runner, but they didn't know that), and added soccer my senior year...

like I said, I can relate...now days ... a Saturday may be like this:

Take my Cross Country runner to School at 5 am

Take Jr and my youngest to IHOP at 6:30 (if my young one has a home game)

Drive within 70 miles(one way) to see my CC runner run (otherwise my wife and I split up to accommodate all three events).

There's days where we are all at a CC meet....we all make a Little league game...we all make Jr's game...

I would have loved to have that growing up...instead of feeling sorry for myself, I made the appropriate changes and hopefully will be carried out by my sons and infant daughter.. ;)

hey scalp em........I dont need to hear your stories as I have witnessed probably more growing up in Port Arthur than you will ever being a detective...I ran a successful business in Port Arthur for over 16 years...........I know exactly what goes on in every corner of Port Arthur and I also know exactly who you are.....I have also done alot for PAPD!!! Not to mention all of the donations I have made to the entire community of Port Arthur including church's to funeral homes...Eddie Collins was basically my father figure when my father passed away........My father ran a successful business since the 70's on Proctor Street.....So I dont need stories to make my head spin!!  As I could probably show you places where detectives and police officers are afraid to go ALONE!!!

Sarge, I knew you were a stand up guy when we met at the carwash.  Everybody else who came up through HardKnocks High, much respect. But........

What does that have to do with KRH's ability or lack thereof to coach?  What does that have to do with missed tackles, Dlinemen(Sloan mostly) not disengaging with the WB Olinemen to find the ball carrier?  Linebackers waiting on the play to come to them vs taking the initative(after WB ran the same counter play 4 times prior) to blitz to blow up the blocking?

The Katy's and the Trinity's of the world win with tradition and doing the little things right.  PAM has yet to do the little things on a consistant basis.  When that happens, PAM will do well locally and in the playoffs....

Guest tappedout
Sgt. Rey,

That's what it is all about, the kid's! What are we going to do when their gone? The past has helped me a great deal in raising my kid's. Sometime's they don't agree with my rules but it's for the best. You don't want your kid's to make the same mistake's that you made. You dam'n sure don't want them getting into trouble because your past will come back to haunt you. Believe me when I was 16, I almost beat a man to death for putting his hand's on my mother and it still hasn't went away. That was over 20 year's ago. In the past as a youth coach I alway's preached discipline and grade's. I've made kid's run in practice for grade's and discipline problem's and it really pissed some parent's off. I was a firm believer if you are making below a "C" then you needed to be at home studying instead of practice. I put a kid off of one of my team's for 3 week's because of grade's and his family told me that it was their business and they were pissed. I tried to tell them he needed to learn this lesson before he get's to high school and they didn't understand and left on bad term's. Today the kid is very respectful to me and now understand's. I didn't really have a choice about college until I was 25 and it was hell raising a family and going to school at night. I did it and now I have a good job. I will make a difference in my kid's lives.

Thank you very much SFA.........What you just stated is the point i was trying to make......Having a rough life and growing up "Hard" should give you even more of an initiative to learn your assignments and play harder and make good grades to improve the quality of your LIFE!!

Guest tappedout
SFA85,

I'm sure Kenny is not calling the defense. I see he brought in a new DC this year and the assistant's that each HC has is very important. Maybe he is still trying to get the right staff in place. Memorial is not a school that is going to be real attractive for some of the better coaches in the state. Back in your day if Marler didn't have Coach Green, what kind of coach would he have been.

[quote name="SFA85" post="889616" timestamp="1288284839"]
Sarge, I knew you were a stand up guy when we met at the carwash.  Everybody else who came up through HardKnocks High, much respect. But........

What does that have to do with KRH's ability or lack thereof to coach?  What does that have to do with missed tackles, Dlinemen(Sloan mostly) not disengaging with the WB Olinemen to find the ball carrier?  Linebackers waiting on the play to come to them vs taking the initative(after WB ran the same counter play 4 times prior) to blitz to blow up the blocking?

The Katy's and the Trinity's of the world win with tradition and doing the little things right.  PAM has yet to do the little things on a consistant basis.  When that happens, PAM will do well locally and in the playoffs....
[/quote]

I read you SFA,

I still say, they have been doing something right....LET THEM LEARN FROM THIS LOSS....What if after the LP game it's: PAM - 42, LP 18...!  Is PAM still struggling or did they adjust?

[quote name="tappedout" post="889643" timestamp="1288285800"]
SFA85,

I'm sure Kenny is not calling the defense. I see he brought in a new DC this year and the assistant's that each HC has is very important. Maybe he is still trying to get the right staff in place. Memorial is not a school that is going to be real attractive for some of the better coaches in the state. Back in your day if Marler didn't have Coach Green, what kind of coach would he have been.
[/quote]

Yeah Barnes is the DC and a good choice but defensively speaking, they should've taken #99 out sooner.  And you are so right about Marler not having Green.....

I'm trying to keep my criticisms of KRH as objective and non-personal as I can.  Offensively, PAM became more hamstrug after Romar went down plus the QB keeps trying to force feed #8 and that's understandable since it's his first year starting....

Just as an aside, the same complaints PAM fans often have here, WB fans complain about Stump.  I was told by a good friend of mine who son starts @safety had some of the same gripes after the WB/NS game so eventhough KRH gets it here all the time, things ain't all that rosey in the West End according to some.....

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="889646" timestamp="1288286149"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=75015.msg889616#msg889616 date=1288284839]
Sarge, I knew you were a stand up guy when we met at the carwash.  Everybody else who came up through HardKnocks High, much respect. But........

What does that have to do with KRH's ability or lack thereof to coach?  What does that have to do with missed tackles, Dlinemen(Sloan mostly) not disengaging with the WB Olinemen to find the ball carrier?  Linebackers waiting on the play to come to them vs taking the initative(after WB ran the same counter play 4 times prior) to blitz to blow up the blocking?

The Katy's and the Trinity's of the world win with tradition and doing the little things right.  PAM has yet to do the little things on a consistant basis.  When that happens, PAM will do well locally and in the playoffs....
[/quote]

I read you SFA,

I still say, they have been doing something right....LET THEM LEARN FROM THIS LOSS....What if after the LP game it's: PAM - 42, LP 18...!  Is PAM still struggling or did they adjust?
[/quote]

I dunno Sarge,  weak link on the Dline just observing what I see.  And unless PAM commits to stopping the run, which the Dline will have to come up big, it will be LP again beating PAM with TB counters and play action.....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476