Crosby @ Dayton predictions

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with a few of the posters on here who say this is gonna be a battle. I feel like the Broncos should take it, but it won't be a blowout. Here's my reasoning:

1. Crosby's offense will be the best we've faced in district. Their strengths play into our defensive weaknesses. Pass defense and a scrambling, good running QB. I will say though, that this years Bronco D is improved in both coverage and containment. (showed that with Mr. Diggs) But if you had to pick a weakness(s) I would still say secondary. Don't beat me up about this. They're good! Just not as good as the front seven.

2. Crosby's defense appears to be better at stopping the run than the pass. The Broncos have been predominantly a run team this year. I know the Broncos had 4 passing TD's last week (awesome performance by Herrera and Fowler by the way) but that hasn't been the norm. JD was out. I don't see Dayton throwing the ball 25 - 30 times. They should, but it'll be more like 10 -15.

3. The intangebles. Turnovers. I know, I shouldn't have brought it up. But you know you were all thinking it too. The cougars will show up and play hard. It's Dayton! 8)

Thiese are only reasons I think it will be semi-close.  Dayton is still a better team this year. And last. ;) I hope I'm wrong and it's 70 - 0. But I'm predicting more like 38 - 28.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="887431" timestamp="1288047459"]
[quote author=rollinac link=topic=74910.msg887373#msg887373 date=1288043942]
Can't say I'd put much stock into the article as:

1)  He's a junior
2)  Dayton and Crosby are not BOTH undefeated in district
[/quote]

Does it matter? the game means the same thing... if Crosby beats Dayton Crosby wins district (assuming they take BH seriously), the same implications regardless of the 1 coug loss.

I'm sure thats the message in the Locker room. THIS IS AGAINST DAYTON, THIS IS FOR A TITLE. whether it is or isn't.

Hopefully it'll be a good game. Stoping Crosby offense is gonna be a problem for the broncos... i'm just going to say that. IF GP put 20 on you the cougs can too, prolly more. this game remains low scoring it might be the COUGS to STEAL.
[/quote]
Since your attempting to do math Coug............... Add up the Crosby score last Friday.................Now add up GCM..................hmmmmmmm........................was does that equal......................................
A good ol spankin which is no where near the one coming Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="887549" timestamp="1288054249"]
I'm with a few of the posters on here who say this is gonna be a battle. I feel like the Broncos should take it, but it won't be a blowout. Here's my reasoning:

1. Crosby's offense will be the best we've faced in district. Their strengths play into our defensive weaknesses. Pass defense and a scrambling, good running QB. I will say though, that this years Bronco D is improved in both coverage and containment. (showed that with Mr. Diggs) But if you had to pick a weakness(s) I would still say secondary. Don't beat me up about this. They're good! Just not as good as the front seven.

2. Crosby's defense appears to be better at stopping the run than the pass. The Broncos have been predominantly a run team this year. I know the Broncos had 4 passing TD's last week (awesome performance by Herrera and Fowler by the way) but that hasn't been the norm. JD was out. I don't see Dayton throwing the ball 25 - 30 times. They should, but it'll be more like 10 -15.

3. The intangebles. Turnovers. I know, I shouldn't have brought it up. But you know you were all thinking it too. The cougars will show up and play hard. It's Dayton! 8)

Thiese are only reasons I think it will be semi-close.  Dayton is still a better team this year. And last. ;) I hope I'm wrong and it's 70 - 0. But I'm predicting more like 38 - 28.

[/quote] This could be a good game just because its Crosby and you can bet Crosby will be up for this game period.  We need an intense game to prepare for the playoffs so hope Crosby brings it for at least the first half anyway . Our  Secondary I guess I don't see the same weakness you see I see them as one of our strong points how many team's scored TD's on us because of blown coverage not to many,how many time's has a team made a great catch and a Bronco defender  knocked the dog shite out of him and made him drop it . I see our LB's as a one of strong points also no team has even come close to consistently out scramble us. Merka will be a tough test because he will be one those guys that can burn as well as flat run over you. This should be a fun game  .  GO BRONCO'S ~

Well like I said, the secondary is good. But if I was [b]forced [/b] to pick a weaker area of the defense, I would say the back end. Just looking back over the last few years at the teams that beat us or gave us trouble will tell the story. Other than El Campo (they were just big and stout), all those teams had either a great passing game or a QB that could scramble. Sometimes both.

This years defense has bucked the trend somewhat though. You can really tell that they have worked on staying at home and containing. Secondary is also much better at making a play on the ball. Turn and look!! Finally!! It used to be that they were always in position to tackle after the catch. Now they're in position to make a play on the ball or separate the receiver from the ball.

The playoffs will tell us just how much better they are in these areas. Crosby may give us a hint, but I don't think their passing game is striking fear into many opponents. Keep Merka from going off to the races and we win this one easily.

I think Crosby will go for it on the majority of their 4th downs.  I also think that we will see a lot of gadget plays from the cougars, i.e. Merka running or passing out of the punt formations (especially early), flea-flickers, heck we might even see the fumblerooski or the oopty-oop.  I'm sure the broncos will prepare and beat Crosby soundly because I just don't see Crosby competing in this one without resulting to trick plays.

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="887929" timestamp="1288100317"]
I think Crosby will go for it on the majority of their 4th downs.  I also think that we will see a lot of gadget plays from the cougars, i.e. Merka running or passing out of the punt formations (especially early), flea-flickers, heck we might even see the fumblerooski or the oopty-oop.  I'm sure the broncos will prepare and beat Crosby soundly because I just don't see Crosby competing in this one without resulting to trick plays.
[/quote]

Yes of course! Always have to be ready for the oopy-oop!  :D :D :D

[quote name="rollinac" post="887943" timestamp="1288101739"]
Don't think I agree.  If I had to pick a weakness then I would say the front 3 are not as strong as in years past.  Secondary is just downright good.
[/quote]

I think the front 3 are as good as in the recent past. Not just one dominate player like years past but all three are soild.

I take exception with the comments about our secondary, especially in years past. Our secondary consistantly includes the top athletes on our team and always has. These secondaries have only struggled when they play some of the top teams in the state. We fell pray to the likes of Garrett Gilbert, Tyrik Rollison, Johnny Manziel, and Jacob Karam. The list of players that our secondary has consisted of the last few years will go down in Dayton Bronco history as some of the best to ever put on a Bronco uniform. The kids that are back there now are young with the exception of baldwin and he is definately not in question here.

[quote name="bronco1" post="887996" timestamp="1288105590"]
[quote author=rollinac link=topic=74910.msg887943#msg887943 date=1288101739]
Don't think I agree.  If I had to pick a weakness then I would say the front 3 are not as strong as in years past.  Secondary is just downright good.
[/quote]

I think the front 3 are as good as in the recent past. Not just one dominate player like years past but all three are soild.

I take exception with the comments about our secondary, especially in years past. Our secondary consistantly includes the top athletes on our team and always has. These secondaries have only struggled when they play some of the top teams in the state. We fell pray to the likes of Garrett Gilbert, Tyrik Rollison, Johnny Manziel, and Jacob Karam. The list of players that our secondary has consisted of the last few years will go down in Dayton Bronco history as some of the best to ever put on a Bronco uniform. The kids that are back there now are young with the exception of baldwin and he is definately not in question here.
[/quote]

I've said it before.... What high school secondary is capable of completely shutting down a high level passing attack? Not many out there in my opinion, especially when that who's who of QB's you listed is involved.

I totally agree that that list of QB's would tear up any secondary. And they did many times! I certainly meant no disrepect to any secondary player (or coach) over the last few years. Any year for that matter. All I'm trying to say is, come playoff time in any round, who would you rather face? A prolific passing team or a running team of the same caliber? I think I know the answer.

I think 99% of all high school teams would rather face a running team. Not just the Broncos. It is high school after all. At the higher levels, the secondary is usally made up of the best athletes from the region. In high school, those kids are QB's and wide receiver's.

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="888025" timestamp="1288107866"]
I totally agree that that list of QB's would tear up any secondary. And they did many times! I certainly meant no disrepect to any secondary player (or coach) over the last few years. Any year for that matter. All I'm trying to say is, come playoff time in any round, who would you rather face? A[b] prolific passing team or a running team of the same caliber? I think I know the answer.[/b]

I think 99% of all high school teams would rather face a running team. Not just the Broncos. It is high school after all. At the higher levels, the secondary is usally made up of the best athletes from the region. In high school, those kids are QB's and wide receiver's.

[/quote]

true.

[quote name="dayton" post="888029" timestamp="1288107989"]
[quote author=Hawkeye link=topic=74910.msg888025#msg888025 date=1288107866]
I totally agree that that list of QB's would tear up any secondary. And they did many times! I certainly meant no disrepect to any secondary player (or coach) over the last few years. Any year for that matter. All I'm trying to say is, come playoff time in any round, who would you rather face? A[b] prolific passing team or a running team of the same caliber? I think I know the answer.[/b]

[/quote]

true.
[/quote]

You're right but we know by experience that the only ones left in rounds 4, 5, & 6 are prolific at both.  :o

When was the last time the Broncos had 10 pics in 8 games?We're in good hands so far.I've been sayin all yr.we need to throw more often.If the coverage is like the GCM game watch the points come quickly.Crosby's def.strength if you can point 1 out is in the middle.

[quote name="liltex" post="888447" timestamp="1288143448"]
When was the last time the Broncos had 10 pics in 8 games?We're in good hands so far.I've been sayin all yr.we need to throw more often.If the coverage is like the GCM game watch the points come quickly.Crosby's def.strength if you can point 1 out is in the middle.
[/quote]
We will run outside then tex. Im not to worried about scoring. More worried about containing and giving the cougs any HOPE early. Got to come out quick in this one.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83