ALCS

Ty Cobb

Who advances to the World Series?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances to the World Series?

• TEXAS RANGERS
    • new york yankees

Guest jhamilton
Big difference from the Yankees lineup than the Rays fellers..............I HOPE that NY wins Rangers are on roll and gonna be tough. Will be there this weekend to take in it all in.............. 13 Miss me?  8)

[quote name="beechnut" post="874533" timestamp="1287069789"]
Big difference from the Yankees lineup than the Rays fellers..............I HOPE that NY wins Rangers are on roll and gonna be tough. Will be there this weekend to take in it all in.............. 13 Miss me?  8)
[/quote]

Gona Whip Some Yankee Butt!!!  8)

Alright...lets break this 1 down.

Game 1 will be CC Sabathia against CJ Wilson in Arlington. CC wasn't sharp with extra rest going into Game 1 of the ALDS. Does he faulter again? It's anybodies guess I guess but it is CC Sabathia. CJ Wilson has had an incredible season. However...it's better if you take out his starts against the Yankees. He had a 5.74 ERA in 3 starts, going 6 innings, 5.1 and 3 innings. CC, on the other hand, has missed Texas in all 3 series. It's probably a good thing since it's usually the pitcher that gets the advantage when facing teams who haven't seen him before.
Game 1: Yankees 6...Rangers 3

Andy Pettitte will face off against Colby Lewis. I don't know how anyone can dislike when Pettitte brought to the table in his first start of the postseason. And we all know Pettitte as being a gamer. As for Lewis...he held the Rays scoreless through 5 by getting out of jams. He gave up only 2 hits but walked 5 and struck out 5. He's a strikeout pitcher, which bodes well for the Yankees. Usually pitchers who rely on the punchout get high pitch counts. Also, the Yankees are great at working counts and seeing pitches. Here's the problem for the Yanks. They haven't seen him before. Just like Sabathia...Lewis has not pitched in any of the 3 series this season. We all know how bad the Yankees are when facing pitchers for the first time. I think there may be enough tape to overcome that slightly...but probably not a whole much. Note...the Yankees struggle more against ROOKIES that they haven't seen before more than guys who have a boatload of tape. I expect a well pitched game but I'll give the edge to the pitcher that the Yankees haven't seen before. I have a feeling Joba will be entered into one of these games and give up a long ball.
Game 2: Rangers 4...Yankees 3

Going back to the Bronx for Game 3 where Hughes will face off against Cliff Lee. Don't underestimate Hughes. He's a different pitcher on extended rest and he'll be on 8 days rest or so. He was VERY sharp against the Twins shut up many of the critics. However...he has the tendency to give up the long ball, especially at home. For some reason I see Cruz going deep twice in this game. Twice, whether they're solo bombs or grand slams, are more than enough for Cliff Lee 9 times out of 10. People have said Cliff Lee has had problems in Texas. But look at the numbers as the teams got better. He was hammered against the Royals and Orioles, but dominates the Rays, Yankees and Red Sox. When it's all said and done...it's Cliff Lee.
Game 3: Rangers 6...Yankees 1

Burnett v Hunter in Game 4. With what would probably expect to be a hostile crowd if the first 3 games go as I have them, Burnett probably won't love this environment. 1 walk, HBP or wild pitch and the crowd will be all over him. Lucky for him though...Hunter is the opposition and he's just no good. He may have had a great record at home during the regular season, but his road ERA is 4.48 and that doesn't fair well for him. I think it's safe to say that this will be a high scoring affair. However...with all this time off...I actually expect Burnett to pitch well. If you remember the World Series last season, the Yankees were down 1-0 at home and Burnett pitched the game of his life at home. Maybe you can expect that again. Regardless...Yankees Win.
Game 4: Yankees 9...Rangers 3

Back to the rematch of Game 1 only in the Bronx. CC would not be on short rest, and he's at home so he should be as sharp as ever. Personally, I don't expect anything different from CJ Wilson. I expect a lot of the same in this one.
Game 5: Yankees 6...Rangers 1

Andy Pettitte pitched all 3 clinching games in 2009. Going back to Texas, having finally seen Colby Lewis, I expect the Yankees to go to the World Series. The last thing you want in this spot is to get to a Game 7, on the road, and have to face Cliff Lee again. Pettitte has 19 postseason wins, which is the most all time. As mentioned before, he's a Gamer and the guy I want on the mound in this spot. Since the Yankees faced Lewis before, they should be able to figure him out easier and get more hits off of him. Not as much of a pitcher's match in this one.
Game 6: Yankees 5...Rangers 2

I got a question. Did Josh Hamilton play in the ALDS? I don't remember seeing anything? Clearly he's not over his rib injury and is not affective. That is a HUGE deal.

Jeter v Andrus -- I understand Andrus has the speed to cause problems against the Yankees here, but Jeter in the postseason is another animal. If Andrus gets on base though...he'll run wild.

Swisher v Young -- I'm just throwing Swisher in here because CJ and Lee are lefties and Swisher will bat 2nd for Game's 1 and 3 against them while Granderson bats further in the lineup until a righty comes up. Young has that homer in the ALDS but that's about it. Young has the track record...but Swisher is more of a "what have you done for me lately" type of pick here.

Teixeira v Hamilton -- This is tough. As I mentioned, Hamilton has been non existant. He was 2-18 in the ALDS with 6 strikeouts and 2 walks. We know what he CAN do so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and make this a split.

A-Rod v Vladdy -- Vladdy swings at everything. And while that makes him great...that also makes him a bit weak when facing great pitching. Lucky for him, though, the Yankees don't have "great" pitching...relatively good. A-Rod is A-Rod so I think it's fair to give A-Rod the VERY SLIGHT edge here.

Cano v Cruz -- The best matchup here. I really can't find a reason to give anyone the edge. Cruz can give you massive homers but Cano, althought not as massive, can homer too. Gotta make these even.

Thames v Kinsler -- Sometimes Swisher will bat here if Berkman is playing and Grandy is 2nd but Kinsler had an INSANE ALDS with a few homers. But this isn't even in question. Whether it's Thames or Swisher...gotta give the edge to Kinsler.

Posada v Murphy -- Posada had a nice ALDS. 3 hits, 2 RBIs. Not bad. It's kind of hard to figure this one out. It's a revolving door for Texas. Murphy, Francoeur or Borbon will be playing LF or CF. But I still give Posada the edge over all of them because of experience alone.

Granderson v Molina -- It's either Granderson or Berkman. Regardless of who it is...edge to the Yankees without question.

Gardner v Moreland -- Moreland or Borbon v Gardner here. Gardner was the weak link in the Yankees' lineup as he batted .200. But Moreland or Borbon haven't been any better. I'll be nice and give them the split, even though I believe Gardner is better.

I perfer Kerry Wood and Mariano Rivera over the Rangers' setup man and Neftali Feliz anyday. I trust Robertson and Logan too...but I think the Rangers' middle relief is better than the Yankees'.

[quote name="DC9" post="874644" timestamp="1287078223"]
I heard on ESPN Radio this morning that Hughes was going to be the game 2 starter.
[/quote]I like the fact that the Yankees would have Pettitte for a Game 7...but I think they're overthinking this. They're putting too much stock into getting the best matchup for Game 7 instead of winning the series earlier. CC + Hughes for Game's 1 and 2 aren't as good as CC + Pettitte for Game's 1 and 2. Joe Torre always said that the #3 starter is always the most important of a 7 game series, but I like the better chance of going up 2-0 going to the Bronx.

Beechnut, you're right, the Yankees are not the Rays.  They're not as good, and the Rangers matchup better against them.  If the Rangers pitch as well as they did against the Rays, the Yankees will have trouble manufacturing runs like the Rays were capable of doing.  Still, they ARE the yankees.  I'm calling this series a tossup:  I expect it to go at least 6 games, maybe 7. 

Also, wondering what y'all think about this:  I'm actually glad the rangers had to face an elimination game against the Rays.  Sure, had they swept, confidence would have been sky-high, but now the rangers have had a gut-check, and they've passed it.  I think it will be valuable experience for them as they go up against the Yankees, who are sure to provide them with plenty more gut-checks.  Had they not had any problems with the Rays, we'd have to worry about how the young Ranger players would handle adversity when they have a tough game against the yanks.  Now they have the experience and confidence to know they're capable of pulling out a win when their backs are against the wall.

[quote]Beechnut, you're right, the Yankees are not the Rays.  They're not as good, and the Rangers matchup better against them.  If the Rangers pitch as well as they did against the Rays, the Yankees will have trouble manufacturing runs like the Rays were capable of doing.  Still, they ARE the yankees.  I'm calling this series a tossup:  I expect it to go at least 6 games, maybe 7.[/quote]

You are exactly right. Neither team hit well the last couple of weeks of the season but the Rays were able to manufacture runs to where as the Yankees could not therefore enabling the Rays to win the East.

Acoording to what I heard on the MLB radio network on XM the Rangers objective is to run,run,run with Posada's noodle arm and Sabathia and Pettitte are not known to hold runners well so the goal of Texas is to play the speed angle .Of course those guys like Andrus,Borbon must get on base.The NY yankees they don't care about Andrus or borbourn on the basebaths- these guys need to get hits first(and thats gonna be tough for them to do) Texas is not better than the yankees and will NOT win this series!!  >:( >:( >:(             

Guest jhamilton
Hope the Yanks sign Cliff Lee over the winder bc need some good pitching bc back end of the roatation not strong. Burnett has to GO and a waste of money. Kid makes me break out in hives each time he pitches.

[quote name="beechnut" post="875019" timestamp="1287111078"]
Hope the Yanks sign Cliff Lee over the winder bc need some good pitching bc back end of the roatation not strong. Burnett has to GO and a waste of money. Kid makes me break out in hives each time he pitches.
[/quote]

I hope Cliff Lee says no the evil empire and helps someone else win a world series.  Yankees are flat out boring to watch.

[quote name="bullets13" post="875875" timestamp="1287191523"]
i'm with you, 13.  i'm not a big fan of teams that buy championships.
[/quote]

My favorite World Series in the last 20 years is the one where Luis Gonzalez and his Diamondbacks beat the yankees

[quote name="(13)" post="875907" timestamp="1287192087"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=74377.msg875875#msg875875 date=1287191523]
[/quote]

My favorite World Series in the last 20 years is the one where Luis Gonzalez and his Diamondbacks beat the yankees
[/quote]

yup :)

Guest jhamilton
[quote name="(13)" post="875907" timestamp="1287192087"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How about the Gibson HR? Not bad.

[quote name="beechnut" post="876006" timestamp="1287193763"]
[quote author=(13) link=topic=74377.msg875907#msg875907 date=1287192087]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

well that was 30 years ago

[quote name="(13)" post="876010" timestamp="1287193838"]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=74377.msg876006#msg876006 date=1287193763]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

also, it wasn't against the yankees...

[quote name="bullets13" post="876031" timestamp="1287194233"]
[quote author=(13) link=topic=74377.msg876010#msg876010 date=1287193838]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=74377.msg876006#msg876006 date=1287193763]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

also, it wasn't against the yankees...
[/quote]

Xactly bullets.  also, I was just corrected by the TV announcer, it was 22 years ago.  My math was off  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder