District 20-4a Pre-season O-fers, Just more useless trivia.

I was wondering how often any of the current 20-4a teams have started with no pre-season wins only to end up with a winning (above .500) records so I did a little research. My cut off on this was 1960 to 2008 so this covers a total of 314 seasons for all of the teams.
Out of 314 seasons there have only been 9 times teams have started with zero pre-season wins for a percentage of 2.8%. These records show that although you might have lost all of your preseason games, it is possible to come back and make some serious noise in district.
The teams who have succeeded are as follows:
Team           Year         Pre-season Record    District Record
Central         2008                 0-2                      4-3  Shortened Season
LCM             1962                 0-3                      4-3
Livingston     2008                 0-1                      6-1  Shortened Season
Nederland     1988                 0-3                      3-2
                 2008                 0-1                      4-3  Shortened Season
PNG             1978                 0-2                      6-2
                 1979                 0-2                      4-3
                 1982                 0-3                      4-3
Vidor            2000                 0-5                     4-1  Most pre-season losses with a winning district record.  :)

Also looked up the lowest points for and points against in an entire season for the same time period.
:'( Points For-       Livingston 1968 / 10, Lumberton 1967 / 26
:o Points Against- LCM 1968 / 55, Livingston 1972 / 67

[quote name="liltex" post="848229" timestamp="1284595473"]
Off topic but in 09 Kerrville Tivy went 0-6 out the gate vs.5a teams at first then go on undefeated all the way to the state semi-final loss to Brenham.
[/quote]
Actually, Tivy's record from last year looks like this according to Maxpreps:

Roosevelt (San Antonio, TX)  21-38 (L)
@ Wagner (San Antonio, TX)  20-35 (L)
@ Boerne-Champion (Boerne, TX) * 28-13 (W)
Seguin (Seguin, TX) * 31-14 (W)
@ San Marcos (San Marcos, TX) * 32-44 (L)
Canyon (New Braunfels, TX) * 38-16 (W)
@ Steele (Cibolo, TX) * 38-34 (W)
@ Alamo Heights (San Antonio, TX) * 16-41 (L)
Clemens (Schertz, TX) * 56-35 (W)

Good research Oldtimer..lol :)//
Just one correction, Central was 1-1 that year in Pre-season, We beat Memorial 10-7.  but got Murderd by Brook,,
Thats why im not really worried how we do in Pre-season :)..also we were 5-2 in District only loseing to Livingston and Lmberton..

But Your right, I always remeber that year cause alot of people overlooked us comeing into district, since we barley beat a Struggling P.A team at the time and got murderd by C-mike and Company at Brook..So I know we can do it, I still think we go far in the playoffs..Im just ready for District

[quote name="bulldawg64" post="848209" timestamp="1284592971"]
wasnt vidor in another district then playing ned 1st rd in playoffs at lamar,
or  sometime back then . a 6 team district i thought
[/quote]
Vidor, Livingston, Ozen, Jasper, Silsbee and Lumberton were in a different  4A district then.  Vidor did play Ned. at Lamar in playoffs.

[quote name="bulldawg64" post="848209" timestamp="1284592971"]
wasnt vidor in another district then playing ned 1st rd in playoffs at lamar,
or  sometime back then . a 6 team district i thought
[/quote]
That would be the year 2000. Vidor was in district 19-4a while Nederland was in district 20-4a. Both districts I believe were 6 team districts meaning they played 5 district games (to answer Bucof2010's question.). Back then you had Lincoln, Jefferson, LCM, WOS and PNG along with Nederland in district 20-4a and then Vidor, Lumberton, Livingston, Silbee, Jasper and Ozen in district 19-4a

[quote name="D3zii" post="848326" timestamp="1284603559"]
Good research Oldtimer..lol :)//
Just one correction, Central was 1-1 that year in Pre-season, We beat Memorial 10-7.  but got Murderd by Brook,,
Thats why im not really worried how we do in Pre-season :)..also we were 5-2 in District only loseing to Livingston and Lmberton..

But Your right, I always remeber that year cause alot of people overlooked us comeing into district, since we barley beat a Struggling P.A team at the time and got murderd by C-mike and Company at Brook..So I know we can do it, I still think we go far in the playoffs..Im just ready for District
[/quote]
You're right dude, I musta been cross eyed by then looking at all those itty bitty numbers.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin