blocked kick? Penalty

If you are reffering to the Warren-Deweville game I can understand your question. Even though I was sitting on Warren's side, I was confussed as well. I had to watch the game film and then it made sense to me. Yes, the kick was blocked. It was blocked by two players coming from the kickers right and up the middle. However, the third player that came in from the kickers left never made contact with the ball and hit the kicker up high. This all happening simultainiously, made it very hard to see. The official that made the call was to the kickers left and had an excellent view. He made the correct call.

[quote name="LR2014" post="845382" timestamp="1284299699"]
If you are reffering to the Warren-Deweville game I can understand your question. Even though I was sitting on Warren's side, I was confussed as well. I had to watch the game film and then it made sense to me. Yes, the kick was blocked. It was blocked by two players coming from the kickers right and up the middle. However, the third player that came in from the kickers left never made contact with the ball and hit the kicker up high. This all happening simultainiously, made it very hard to see. The official that made the call was to the kickers left and had an excellent view. He made the correct call.
[/quote]
That is [b]not[/b] the correct call, look it up in the rules, there is no "running into the kicker" penalty if the ball is tipped or blocked.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="846273" timestamp="1284385378"]
SteelCrzy is correct. It is impossible to have a roughing call when the ball is tipped or blocked. It doesn't make a difference if 3 guys are rushing, if one tips or blocks the ball, there is no roughing. As a former ref I was appalled at that call.
[/quote]
Thanks titeltown, several others were scratching their head by this call also, I don't normaly talk about bad officiating, however, this call was bad.

If the kicker is hit before he kicks, then it is a legal tackle.(used to do it on Tecmo Bowl with the nose guard lol) If this happens, then that is a VERY slow snap and hold. If he is hit and the ball is tipped, blocked, etc, its no penalty. If the kicker kicks the ball, and then gets tackled, pushed(or kicker falls down to sell the reff ;D) then penalty. So, If the ball is touched by the kicker and the oposing team touches the ball in any way, no penalty. I didnt see the call, but the way it sounds, wrong call.

[quote name="kicker" post="846527" timestamp="1284405269"]
One more thing. The penalty is there to protect the kicker after he kicks the ball. Ive had teams go at my ankles after the ball was going through the uprights, just to try to take me out of the game. Its called "defensless position" same as QB.
[/quote]

LOL  if the penalty is to protect the kicker, then the O-line should get penalized for allowing --not one, but three players beat the ball to the tee.  ;)

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="846532" timestamp="1284405524"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=72813.msg846527#msg846527 date=1284405269]
One more thing. The penalty is there to protect the kicker after he kicks the ball. Ive had teams go at my ankles after the ball was going through the uprights, just to try to take me out of the game. Its called "defensless position" same as QB.
[/quote]

LOL  if the penalty is to protect the kicker, then the O-line should get penalized for allowing --not one, but three players beat the ball to the tee.  ;)
[/quote]

:D I agree completly. I would not be a happy camper with my left, right, and center being compromised. I would have jumped their *****. And yes, I have been known to do it. If I have a job to do, then so does the line, snapper, holder, etc.

[quote name="Klein Bearkats" post="847193" timestamp="1284479073"]
The general consensus is that the penalty was for roughing the Kicker.  Based on the circumstances, I can see why there is confusion.  If you watched the Ref give the signal, the penalty was for a personal foul, helmet to helmet contact.
[/quote]

LOL  ---Dat ill do it.  You thread killer!! LOL

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami