West Orange-Stark vs. Friendswood Game Thread/FW Wins 35-34/Comments

WOSgrad

[quote name="Gasilla" post="838854" timestamp="1283620570"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=72416.msg838847#msg838847 date=1283620278]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=72416.msg838814#msg838814 date=1283617730]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=72416.msg838808#msg838808 date=1283617270]
There is a big difference in saying you did not play your best and saying you played terrible. ;)

I can understand if FW did not play their best, but that does not always equate to playing terrible.
[/quote]

It's all subjective... To him, his QB made 2 bad throws and got picked off. To us, our DB'S made 2 good plays on the ball and caused them. To us, our receiver made a bad play by fumbling after a 20 yard gain. To them, they made a good defensive play by stripping our reciever. To them, their lineman missed their assignments and their QB got sacked. To us, our D-lineman were just to fast for them and got by them. It's really a retarded argument and an endless loop. You can break a football game down over and over... all that really matters is the end result because the reasons for the cause and effect of the outcome can be said for both sides.  
[/quote]

Gas, what about the subjectiveness of a wet or dry field? ;) ;D

Never could figure out how a field was more wet for one team and not the other. ;) ;D ::)

[/quote]

Right!?! Amazing! You know, some people just play better on wet fields... LOL ;)

B/T/W- how did you know how many yards FW had? Are there some stats for this game somewhere?
[/quote]

It is a messed up boxscore, mixed up rushing with receiving for FW. Stats and game film help you really understand what you think you saw live!!

[url=http://www.chron.com/sports/highschoolsports/results.html?site=default&mkt=&Season=2010&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=80561&TeamID=225&SearchType=Teams]FS WOs boxscoreFW WOS boxscore[/url]

Friendswood 35, West Orange-Stark 34 - Final

West Orange-Stark Overall: 1-1 District: 0-0
Friendswood Overall: 2-0 District: 0-0
Boxscore
Friday September 3, 2010 7:00pm

1 2 3 4 Total
West Orange-Stark 8 12 8 6 34
Friendswood 7 7 7 14 35

Scoring summary
FRI -- Jonathan Johnson 50-yard run (Zachary Hardy kick), 07:29, 1st.
WOS -- Britton Lindsey 43-yard run (Darius Mitchell run), 06:06, 1st.
WOS -- Britton Lindsey 4-yard run (kick failed), 11:23, 2nd.
WOS -- Mark Roberts 41-yard pass from Reggie Garrett (kick failed), 07:24, 2nd.
FRI -- Jonathan Johnson 31-yard pass from Peter Maetzold (Zachary Hardy kick), 05:09, 2nd.
FRI -- Jordan Bolton 36-yard pass from Peter Maetzold (Zachary Hardy kick), 06:49, 3rd.
WOS -- Darius Mitchell 10-yard pass from Reggie Garrett (Darius Mitchell run), 02:49, 3rd.
FRI -- Jonathan Johnson 20-yard run, 09:32, 4th.
WOS -- Mark Roberts 35-yard pass from Reggie Garrett (kick failed), 01:58, 4th.
FRI -- Peter Maetzold 1-yard run (Zachary Hardy kick), 00:30, 4th.

Team Stats
West Orange-Stark Friendswood
Total yards 407 450
First downs 19 24
Rushes/Yds 29/147 41/211
Average rush 5.07 5.15
Comp/Atts 21/31/2 13/19/1
Pass yards 260 239
Comp pct 67.74 68.42
Punts 3 3
Punting Yards 91 117
Punting Average 30.33 39
Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0
Penalties-yards 11-117 6-59

West Orange-Stark
Passing
Name Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Reggie Garrett 13 19 68.42 239 3 1
Rushing
Name Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Brenson Lindsey 11 98 8.9 0 2
Receiving
Name Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD
Mark Roberts 6 158 26.3 0 2

Friendswood
Passing
Name Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Peter Maetzold 21 31 67.74 260 2 2
Rushing
Name Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Matt Kennemer 5 76 15.2 0 0
Jonathan Johnson 3 37 12.3 0 1
Jordan Bolton 3 58 19.3 0 1
Justin Battle 3 38 12.7 0 0
Johnson Thomas 17 142 8.4 0 2
Receiving
Name Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD
Matt Kennemer 1 40 40 0 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats go out to WOS.  I knew you boys were good a couple of weeks ago when we scrimmaged a couple of weeks ago.  You guys are going to make some serious noise this year in the playoffs.  Looks like another district title to our friends to the East.  I dont see anyone in your district that can hang with you.  Congrats and good luck for the rest of the way.

I just dont see how your team played terrible just because they were sacked five times and intercepted twice?!? The interceptions were due to our good coverage in the secondary and the sacks were due to our outside linebackers being much quicker than your offensive tackles! Coach thompson is a genius when it comes to game planning and knowing exactly how to beat an aposing team! Both teams had mistakes and both teams made big plays! It was one for the ages! FW will be absolutely fine. And all i gotta say about WOS is look out 3A

As one of my buds said after the game, "I don't believe in moral victories, but this is one of those rare moments when I feel good after a loss."  My sentiments exactly.  WO-S was not expected to win, but as the game unfolded, we saw a WO-S team that was every bit as good as FW (except for the kicking game), and definitely good enough to beat them.  I congratulate FW on this win.  They were as good as advertised, and I was not suprised by that.  I live in the Houston area and am familiar with the FW community.  Coach Van Meter is a good man, a good coach, and my best wishes go out to their players and fans. 

WO-S has matured leaps and bounds in just three weeks and I expect we will continue to get better.  This year's team is looking real good.  We'll have time to develop that kicker, I'm sure.  Having an open week comes at a good time.  I think the players and coaches need to exhale a little after this game.  We'll regroup for our next game in two weeks and march ahead toward the goal of winning district and priming for a playoff run.  To be this worked up after only week 2 is cool stuff!  Go Stangs! 

Summed up nicely Griff. FWD did not play their best, but I personally think that is more due to WOS than to our failings. I think WOS played outstanding and FWD managed to play just good enough to win. I do think we had a little luck go our way, but those things balance out by the end of the Season. I also agree that this is one of the rare games that both teams, after emotions have settled, can be proud of their efforts and come out a better team.
After this game WOS can really [b]know[/b] that they can beat any team they face this year. FWD learns that; (1) any team can show up and beat you if you do not absolutely bring it all every game, and (2) that we do have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and come back when knocked down.
Good job Mustangs, all of em.

PS. WOS, a buddy in Gilmer says they are hoping to see you again in the playoffs. Here to yall gettin to see em again, and this time, yall teach em some manners.

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="838643" timestamp="1283605933"]
As an unbiased observer I have to point out that the officiating was not as bad as some people on here are saying. There was a couple of questionable calls (both ways) but it did not change the outcome in my opinion.

The interference call in the fourth quarter on WOS was definitely interference. The ball was in the air and the defender made contact, pushed, whatever you want to call it, the receiver. It did look like there should have been one or two seconds left on the clock after the last play.

The worst thing about this whole game was when that official got knocked out and the WOS fans were applauding. That was inexcusable. And it wasn't just one or two people in front of me.
[/quote]

Well I hope you aren't trying to say it was everyone because we certainly weren't and I couldn't hear applauding from where I was sitting.

TD,you and i know that did not happen when the ref got hurt.there are alot of things that WO-S fans have and one of them is that thay ALL are CLASS people.if this guy had his eyes on the field he would have seen the kid from WO-S come over and ck on him,then he got on a knee and prayed for him ,a very class act by this young kid .we here in WO-S are very very blessed to have kids that care about others

[quote name="td" post="839721" timestamp="1283693081"]
[quote author=Hawkeye link=topic=72416.msg838643#msg838643 date=1283605933]
As an unbiased observer I have to point out that the officiating was not as bad as some people on here are saying. There was a couple of questionable calls (both ways) but it did not change the outcome in my opinion.

The interference call in the fourth quarter on WOS was definitely interference. The ball was in the air and the defender made contact, pushed, whatever you want to call it, the receiver. It did look like there should have been one or two seconds left on the clock after the last play.

The worst thing about this whole game was when that official got knocked out and the WOS fans were applauding. That was inexcusable. And it wasn't just one or two people in front of me.
[/quote]

If there was ANY laughter it was because the announcer KEPT saying that it was a WOS Mustang down on the field!  How could he get THAT wrong?  The mighty MUSTANGS didn't HAVE on WHITE pants!!!!!  Friendswood did. 

Well I hope you aren't trying to say it was everyone because we certainly weren't and I couldn't hear applauding from where I was sitting.
[/quote]

[quote name="fatdaddy" post="839665" timestamp="1283664216"]
Summed up nicely Griff. FWD did not play their best, but I personally think that is more due to WOS than to our failings. I think WOS played outstanding and FWD managed to play just good enough to win. I do think we had a little luck go our way, but those things balance out by the end of the Season. I also agree that this is one of the rare games that both teams, after emotions have settled, can be proud of their efforts and come out a better team.
After this game WOS can really [b]know[/b] that they can beat any team they face this year. FWD learns that; (1) any team can show up and beat you if you do not absolutely bring it all every game, and (2) that we do have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and come back when knocked down.
Good job Mustangs, all of em.

PS. WOS, a buddy in Gilmer says they are hoping to see you again in the playoffs. Here to yall gettin to see em again, and this time, yall teach em some manners.
[/quote]
Thanks for the compliments.  Here's to agreeing with you that we'll see Gilmer again this year.  That would be a wish come true.  We have to first take of business and win our district.  Even before that, we have Jasper, Kirbyville, and Giddings to look forward to.  This is gonna be one heck of a year to follow WO-S.  With that said, I don't think we'll see a team as good as FW the rest of the year.  I thought that before the season started and I'm convinced of that even more now.  Best wishes for winning your district and making a deep playoff run. 

I know I'm late with this post but have been away from the pc.
Didn't know what this team had until they played FW.Left felling pretty good even though we lost.You can throw all the excuses for both sides out the window as for as I'm concerned.I saw two good teams get after each other all night and both were very determind.Good luck to FW and carry on Mustangs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83