Wedge block on kickoffs - now illegal

As explained in the rules meeting at coaching school it is a safety issue.  The issue is not the wedge block itself on the return team, as is the "wedge busters" on the kickoff teams.  Players are going in and giving up their body to do whatever to destroy the block.  Injuries were occuring from the wedge buster and not the wedge.  So, in order to get rid of the wedge busters, you have to get rid of the wedge block.

Double Team blocks are still legal unless a third return team member comes within " 2 " yards of the double team block and can then be flagged for a "wedge".  Penalty is flag at where the infraction occurred and then mark off 15 yards.

if the official throws the flag on a wedge block at the -10, then bring the ball back to the -10 and mark off half the distance.  First down on the -5.  GREAT PLACE TO START A DRIVE, HUH?

[quote name="Colmesneilfan1" post="822633" timestamp="1280802682"]
Translation: The NFL did it, so these guys want to look like they are being progressive.....
[/quote]
This was discussed at our TASO district meeting last night thouroughly. It's actually put in place to try to lessen the chance of our children suffering concussions, which can be life long injuries.

[quote name="A Bear's Bear" post="822720" timestamp="1280857570"]
Sounds good to me-you HAD to bust the wedge or it would be very effective-I wonder what effect this will have on kick-off returns...
[/quote]
I think it may be huge. Many teams are scrambling to come up with another scheme. It's also a 15 yds penalty from the spot they come in to formation. so that likley means half the distance to the goal. I can't wait to feel the love when we call back a long one or even TD and put the ball on the 8 yd line!!! And the signal is the same as UnSportsman like Conduct but we don't report a number and it doesn't get a kid ejected after a 2nd one like USC. I can see a run coming back and the PA guy saying it was for USC.

I think the most dangerous thing on kickoff is when a kid on the kicking team is running down his lane and the next thing he knows he is picking himself up off the ground from being earhold..I have seen this happen alot, and have had the honor  ;)  of it happening to me a time or two.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86