ANYTHING WORLD CUP

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bullets13000" post="814297" timestamp="1277324474"]
The US will play Ghana on Saturday.  This is a very winnable game for them, so we might see another trip to the quarterfinals.
[/quote]

You think?  What am I not seeing in the US tatics and performance. I thought Clint Dempsey played his Nacadoches rear end off. I was asking myself the whole game where is Donovan the alleged best player in US history. I have not watched alot of Donovan's play so I am not claiming to be any kind of authority, but what I look for in a game such as Algeria is passion and will.. Clint exemplfied that the whole game. I watched Landon and Mike Bradley fade away just after losing possesion. That is not what I teach my kids... If you lose it go get it back..

To me the American Side just does not look atheletic enough( Speed to out race defenders to the goal or corners and the physical strength and size to man handle the opposing attacks... albeit Demerit did a superb job. Not so sure about the other 3..) to tangle with the Big Guys. Ghana on the other hand was up and down the field in a furious pace.

What am I missing.  I watch alot of Barcelona so I understand the idea of controlling the game with possesion, but Barcelona and others like Brazil who like to bring the ball in close, seem to be able to finish at will. I guess it helps to have Lionel Messi.. Or Real Madrid's Ronaldo or Higuain.. not to mention the next terror from Brazil Ronaldbinho (sp). Am I asking too much of Landon.  Now Tim Howard.. He kicks butt!

We seemed to have alot of chances, but we also narrowly escaped a lethal goal in the first few seconds of the game.

It was a nice win! I just was not enjoying the 92minutes of heart palpatations and the feeling that we let one get away.

If they come out a post 2 or more goals early against Ghana they should most certainly win, however if they wait til the 92nd minute they will be going home.

The US advanced.  That's what you are missing :).  They were a terrible call away from advancing with 2 wins and a draw, which would be pretty fantastic.  Ghana is a pretty good team, but only a shade or two better than Algeria and Slovenia.  They only advanced on goal differential over Australia, who the US dismantled the week before the WC began.  In fact, Ghana only managed a 1-1 draw against Australia, DESPITE the fact that Ghana had a man advantage for 66 minutes, with their goal coming on a PK directly from that red card.  The US is definitely more athletic than Australia, and Ghana's athletes weren't exactly overwhelming against the Socceroos.  I'm not guaranteeing a win or anything, but I can't think of too many teams advancing to the round of 16 that i'd rather play.  Maybe S. Korea. 

Italy was eliminated today by Slovakia 3-2. The first half was kind of boring and Italy wasnt putting forward much effort, but the second half was different. I believe had Italy played the way they did toward the end of the game for the entire game, they would of won it and would still be in the running to repeat.

[quote name="OldSkool97" post="814420" timestamp="1277396860"]
Italy was eliminated today by Slovakia 3-2. The first half was kind of boring and Italy wasnt putting forward much effort, but the second half was different. I believe had Italy played the way they did toward the end of the game for the entire game, they would of won it and would still be in the running to repeat.
[/quote]

Italy was a different team after they allowed the 2nd goal, but they were punished by the fact that they were stagnant for the 1st 75 minutes.  After they made it 2-1, they always looked like they would equalize, having a goal called back for a very tight offsides.  Once Slovakia scored their 3rd, i couldn't believe it when Italy scored again, and came so close to a miracle ending.

All that said, i can't tell you how happy i am to see Italy and France both bounced in the group stage :)

I love it too!!  And did you see Lippi refused to shake the Slovakian coach's hand just like Domenech? And how ironic was it that all the Italians were upset that Slovakia was wasting time by rolling around on the ground... :'(

Not a good tourney for the Mediterranean Region.  Greece, Italy, France, and Algeria are all done.  Spain is all that's left.

[quote name="Bon_Mot" post="814441" timestamp="1277403507"]
I love it too!!  And did you see Lippi refused to shake the Slovakian coach's hand just like Domenech? And how ironic was it that all the Italians were upset that Slovakia was wasting time by rolling around on the ground... :'(

Not a good tourney for the Mediterranean Region.  Greece, Italy, France, and Algeria are all done.  Spain is all that's left.
[/quote]

i commented on lippi on my facebook.  that's okay, though, he'll get his when he gets home.

The US has a very realistic chance of shocking the world and reaching the semis.  They have by far the most favorable draw to get there.  Ghana first, and then if they win that one, the winner of Uruguay and South Korea.  Neither game will be easy, but it's a lot better than having to playing two powerhouses to get there. 

The United States definately could make it deep but they are going to have to play better in order to do so. Their offense is making opportunities, they just need to capitalize on some of them. As for the defense, im not sure what they are doing. They havent looked good defensively except for maybe the England game.

Also Japan didnt look too bad today either. That Honda guy had a pretty good game!

I just saw that the "world cup predictor" has England a 54.6% favorite over Germany.  Not sure how they figure that, but i'd say Germany should be about 60% favored.  After all, they are ranked 2 spots higher than England, won their group where England placed second, had a better goal differential and did all that without Klose for more than a game and a half.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="814540" timestamp="1277432004"]
I just saw that the "world cup predictor" has England a 54.6% favorite over Germany.  Not sure how they figure that, but i'd say Germany should be about 60% favored.  After all, they are ranked 2 spots higher than England, won their group where England placed second, had a better goal differential and did all that without Klose for more than a game and a half.
[/quote]

they also did it against better competition.  I wouldn't bet on the game, but if you held a gun to my head, I'd definitely pick Germany.  England hasn't really looked that good.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="bullets13000" post="814297" timestamp="1277324474"]
The US will play Ghana on Saturday.  This is a very winnable game for them, so we might see another trip to the quarterfinals.
[/quote]

Gonna be a trackmeet! US better be ready to run like their feets afire and their butts a catchin' !  ;D

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="814559" timestamp="1277437436"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=70431.msg814297#msg814297 date=1277324474]
The US will play Ghana on Saturday.  This is a very winnable game for them, so we might see another trip to the quarterfinals.
[/quote]

Gonna be a trackmeet! US better be ready to run like their feets afire and their butts a catchin' !   ;D
[/quote]

i think we'll see findley back in the lineup in arguably the first and only game he should have seen action in.

I'm sick that i'm going to miss watching the US game live tomorrow, but i committed to the SETXsports fishing tourney a long time ago, way before we knew the US would be playing tomorrow.  I'm DVRing it, but it's not quite the same as watching it live.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="814682" timestamp="1277513000"]
I'm sick that i'm going to miss watching the US game live tomorrow, but i committed to the SETXsports fishing tourney a long time ago, way before we knew the US would be playing tomorrow.  I'm DVRing it, but it's not quite the same as watching it live.
[/quote]

Actually it was better for me bullets. I went back and watched a good bit of the game against Algeria last night with a more normal pulse rate and knowing the outcome help me focus on just the finer points of the American's play. And my summation was they played a heck of a game, offensively and defensively... They did give away a few cardiac shots that nearly cost them the match but all in all the played well including Landon. I do not know what got into me the other day and why I had the case of the Haterades for Landon. We could not have won it without him.  I hope they put Ghana away early.. I will be at the Buffallo Wild Wings in the Rice Village with a bottle of oxygen and some aspirin. Just in case they decide to wait until stoppage time again.  One interesting stat that the commentators raised the other day was that the US team had scored more goals in after the 86 minute thatn any team in the tourney.  They knew they had it all along  :D

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="rip2506" post="814683" timestamp="1277513670"]
 One interesting stat that the commentators raised the other day was that the US team had scored more goals in after the 86 minute thatn any team in the tourney.  They knew they had it all along  :D
[/quote]

Twice as many! I heard that too. Amazing.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder