Baytown Sun All-Area Team - Soph Kendall Shaw (BH) MVP

Congrats to Sophomore Kendall Shaw!

Mayes, Shaw named MVPs
From staff reports
Baytown Sun
Published June 3, 2010
The Anahuac boys basketball team made history this year by advancing to finals of the Region III tournament. The Barbers Hill girls wound up one win shy of the regional tourney.

Braxton Mayes and Kendall Shaw, their on-court leaders, are the MVPs of the boys and girls All-Area Basketball Teams for 2009-2010 as chosen by The Baytown Sun sports staff.

Mayes, a senior, led the Panthers farther than they’d been in the playoffs since 1986. He led his team in scoring with an average of 21 points per game, as well 11 steals.

“He’s the free safety of basketball,” Anahuac head coach Ben West once said. “He eyes down the offense and predicts where they’re going with it next.”

The Panthers rebounded from a rocky start against a rugged non-district schedule to a final record of 22-15.

Shaw, a sophomore, was named all-state in Class 4A by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches. She led her team in scoring in both its playoff wins and her defensive presence in the middle shut down many a foe.

The Lady Eagles went 29-6 and came within a bucket of upsetting eventual state tourney team Del Valle in the regional quarterfinals.

Rounding out the All-Area Boys Team are three players from Baytown Lee, two from Sterling, two from Barbers Hill, one each from Crosby and Baytown Christian Academy and Mayes’ Anahuac teammate, point guard Jordan Tarver.

Xavier Ruben was 21-5A’s co-defensive player of the year for Lee and teammates Rhahmael Scott and Jaevon Richardson join him on All-Area. Sterling is represented by Andre Corley and Dashaun Williams while Carson Asbury and Austin Crawley are the BH picks.

M.J. Mitchell of Crosby and BCA’s Brad Armstrong complete the boys squad.

Shaw is joined by three BH teammates on the All-Area Girls Team, those being guards Shannon Evans and Jenna Silva and forward Jasmine Carter. Lee has two picks in Tyisha Jiles and Troy’nae Smith.

Denise White represents Sterling, while Kelsi Laskoskie is Anahuac’s pick. Jessy Saenger from BCA, Renisha Shepard of Crosby and Goose Creek Memorial’s Candice Thompson fill out the squad.

The Baytown Sun All-Area Basketball Teams

Boys

MVP: Braxton Mayes, Anahuac
Brad Armstrong, BCA
Carson Asbury, Barbers Hill
Andre Corley, Sterling
Austin Crawley, Barbers Hill
M.J. Mitchell, Crosby
Jaevon Richardson, Lee
Xavier Ruben, Lee
Rhahmael Scott, Lee
Jordan Tarver, Anahuac
Dashaun Williams, Sterling

Girls

MVP: Kendall Shaw, Barbers Hill

Jasmine Carter, Barbers Hill
Shannon Evans, Barbers Hill
Tyisha Jiles, Lee
Kelsi Laskoskie, Anahuac
Jessy Saenger, BCA
Renisha Shepard, Crosby
Jenna Silva, Barbers Hill
Troy’nae Smith, Lee
Candice Thompson, GCM
Denise White, Sterling

Guest bleed orange
Awesome Miss Shaw. Hey Hillguy when you guys come play in the golden triangle let me know. Don't forget old man. Also awesome for Jenna Silva. Jenna must take after her mom.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="809556" timestamp="1275770326"]
Awesome Miss Shaw. Hey Hillguy when you guys come play in the golden triangle let me know. Don't forget old man. Also awesome for Jenna Silva. Jenna must take after her mom.
[/quote]

As soon as I have the schedule for next season, I will let you know!  I was hoping we would move to 20-4a in re-alignment, but it was not to be.  :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124