Could Lamar go FBS sooner than we thought?

If the MWC wants Boise State’s performance in the 2008-10 seasons to be included in the formula that determines whether the MWC receives an automatic BCS bid for the next cycle of games — and it sure as heck does — then the Broncos must be a member of the MWC in 2011.

And for them to be a member in 2011, they must be invited by July 1, 2010
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/05/11/bcs-expansion-boise-state-to-the-mountain-west-missouri-out-of-the-big-12/

The WAC losing Boise st next month would leave the WAC with 8 schools. California schools are in no position to fill
the void. Nothing out west could fill the void.

A few years ago I would have screamed for LU to join Tech in the WAC. But now, with the possibility of the MWC
taking more WAC members, the WAC may be dead or not worth joining.

Guest coachacola
The Big XII may be in trouble if Missouri, Nebraska and/or Colorado leaves.  Looks like there's going to be a major shakeup in all the major conferences.  I think when the dust settles a lot of the FCS schools talking about going to a FBS conference will end up in one.  Once Lamar gets an invite to join a FBS conference then they can start the next phase of expanding the football stadium.  I think a move up would really increase local interest in Lamar sports.

Lamar is in a tough position. Lamar can't move to fast and end up joining a sinking ship conference
or move too slow to miss the boat. This will be Tubbs most difficult task as LU's AD. Lets
hope he hit it out the park.

In a recent interview, WAC commissioner Karl Benson discussed the topic of conference realignment and possible WAC expansion.

Some highlights:

* Boise St. has been open with the WAC about it's desire to join the MWC

* The WAC and Louisiana Tech have an understanding: LA Tech would prefer to be in CUSA or an eastern conference, the WAC would be fine if they left. The problem is that CUSA doesn't want LA Tech right now and  LA Tech is less interested in the Sunbelt.

* There are "4-5 schools" that are interested in joining the WAC. Those potential schools could include the various Texas schools that have considered upgrades (Texas St., UTSA, Lamar) as well as Portland St., Cal Poly, UC Davis, Sacramento St. and Montana.

http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/05/wac-commish-discusses-realignment.html

Guest coachacola
[quote name="UNLV" post="801469" timestamp="1273855285"]
Lamar is in a tough position. Lamar can't move to fast and end up joining a sinking ship conference
or move too slow to miss the boat. This will be Tubbs most difficult task as LU's AD. Lets
hope he hit it out the park.
[/quote]

I doubt Lamar can afford to be too picky.  They'll probably jump to any FBS conference that offers them a spot, which would be better than staying in the SLC.

[quote name="LU4LIFE" post="801721" timestamp="1273892100"]
yea LAMAR shouldn't be to picky plus the WAC is alot better then the SunBelt
[/quote]Today the WAC is better, maybe not so in the future after the MWC raid the WAC of
it's best members.

Word is Boise st/MWC is a done deal. The WAC will not have enough football members
for a championship game. The WAC needs a temporary school member to play in BSU
spot in 2 years. Who will it be? 

LU should make a special deal for temporary membership. This would help LU get in a better conference
when the great realignment comes. 

Guest coachacola
Boise State was the money maker for the WAC.  If they do leave then I wouldn't be surprised if the other top teams left too.  I think there's a good chance La Tech will leave soon and it would be nice if Lamar could join them in the some conference.

[quote name="coachacola" post="802001" timestamp="1273962856"]
Boise State was the money maker for the WAC.  If they do leave then I wouldn't be surprised if the other top teams left too.  I think there's a good chance La Tech will leave soon and it would be nice if Lamar could join them in the some conference.
[/quote]Where would they go? Where would Tech go?
Tech at one time was the number 1 for CUSA. Not any more. UNT, MTSU, and UTSA is in front of them. Maybe TSU and LU. Tech has big money problems.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="UNLV" post="802039" timestamp="1273966340"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=69704.msg802001#msg802001 date=1273962856]
Tech at one time was the number 1 for CUSA. Not any more. UNT, MTSU, and UTSA is in front of them. Maybe TSU and LU. Tech has big money problems.
[/quote]

I can see both La Tech and New Mexico State looking for a conference closer to Texas.  The Sun Belt is far flung and some of those teams may just leave, especially the 2 Florida schools.  I think we'll see a big shakeup of the WAC, Sun Belt and CUSA with a lot of teams like LU, UTSA, Texas State, etc. moving up.

[quote name="coachacola" post="802099" timestamp="1273970608"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=69704.msg802039#msg802039 date=1273966340]
[/quote]

I can see both La Tech and New Mexico State looking for a conference closer to Texas.  The Sun Belt is far flung and some of those teams may just leave, especially the 2 Florida schools.  I think we'll see a big shakeup of the WAC, Sun Belt and CUSA with a lot of teams like LU, UTSA, Texas State, etc. moving up.
[/quote]Tech is hardcore about never joining the Sunbelt. I guess we will see if they blink next month.

[quote name="UNLV" post="802039" timestamp="1273966340"]
Tech at one time was the number 1 for CUSA. Not any more. UNT, MTSU, and UTSA is in front of them. Maybe TSU and LU. [b]Tech has big money problems[/b].
[/quote]
And I'll give you two guesses where their money problems came from?  No, not the State of Louisiana's cut backs.  Although no Tech fan will ever admit it, travel costs to those far flung areas of the West have probably taken their toll.  Think about the non-revenue sports like baseball, softball, soccer and probably basketball.  It's a long way to Fresno, Boise State, San Jose, and Hawaii.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="802203" timestamp="1273979428"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=69704.msg802039#msg802039 date=1273966340]
Tech at one time was the number 1 for CUSA. Not any more. UNT, MTSU, and UTSA is in front of them. Maybe TSU and LU. [b]Tech has big money problems[/b].
[/quote]
And I'll give you two guesses where their money problems came from?  No, not the State of Louisiana's cut backs.  Although no Tech fan will ever admit it, travel costs to those far flung areas of the West have probably taken their toll.  Think about the non-revenue sports like baseball, softball, soccer and probably basketball.  It's a long way to Fresno, Boise State, San Jose, and Hawaii.
[/quote]Yep, now add the huge budget cuts.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="803718" timestamp="1274373342"]
Read the article.  It is interesting and the SBC would be an option.  I prefer something along the lines of a new SWC that would include:

Lamar, UH, Rice, Tx San Antonio, UTEP, New Mexico, New Mexico State, SMU, UNT, La Tech, Ark State & La Lafayette.

[/quote]Take out UH and New Mexico, add Tulsa and TSU, then you got it.

[quote name="UNLV" post="803809" timestamp="1274398638"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=69704.msg803718#msg803718 date=1274373342]
Read the article.  It is interesting and the SBC would be an option.  I prefer something along the lines of a new SWC that would include:

Lamar, UH, Rice, Tx San Antonio, UTEP, New Mexico, New Mexico State, SMU, UNT, La Tech, Ark State & La Lafayette.

[/quote]Take out UH and New Mexico, add Tulsa and TSU, then you got it.
[/quote]

TSU being Texas Southern?  Huh!  Tulsa would be a good substitute for Ark State.  UH would be really be nice for the success of the new conference.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124