Astros trade ideas

The astros are terrible this season and it doesnt look like the future is getting better.  As much as i like Berkman and Oswalt, i think the astros would be better served trading them to a team in contention that would resurrect these guys careers, and hopefully return the astros a handful of good prospects.  At this point, I'm tired of watching Oswalt have his starts wasted by a terrible offensive team, and would rather see him go to a team that will give him better run support. And i'd like to see Berkman go somewhere where he is actually playing for something.  Of the 3 best players though, i'd much rather the astros trade Carlos Lee, whose contract is looking really BAD at this point.  Its a shame we are stuck with this guy and his no trade clause, he should want to go to the AL and DH instead of "trying" to play left field.  He would be the guy youd most want to trade but i think it would be hard for the astros to move him.  What would be some good trade ideas for Berkman and Oswalt?  Heres a few ideas i came up with, since the Yankees and Red Sox are struggling with their DH position, and would be willing to take on Berkman's contract.

Berkman for Clay Buchholz

Berkman for Phil Hughes and a 1st base prospect (dont know yankees farm system)

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="799597" timestamp="1273355460"]
Berkman can't start for the Yankees and maybe not the Red Sox neither would be willing to make a trade for him.
[/quote]

You may want to rethink that comment.  The Yankees DH is Nick Johnson who has been a disappointment.  The Red Sox DH is David Ortiz and he's been terrible.  Berkman could easily DH in both lineups, and with his defensive skills, he'd probably play the field some and give the 1st basemen days off.  The problem with the Red Sox has been their lineup hasnt produced to the level of the past and Ortiz isnt the same and no more Bay.  The Yankees lineup is really good but they are always willing to take on salary and the Red Sox could actually use Berkman if Berkman can return to form from his surgery.

Redsox have Youk at first base, and the only place you could POSSIBLY move him is third. If Youk moves to 3rd, Ortiz and Lowell will platoon at first base. I don't see Berkman going there, even with how much I'd love him to come to Houston.  

Berkman wouldn't even start for the Yankees.

[quote name="beeninnikes" post="799743" timestamp="1273381229"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=69535.msg799597#msg799597 date=1273355460]
Berkman can't start for the Yankees and maybe not the Red Sox neither would be willing to make a trade for him.
[/quote]

You may want to rethink that comment.  The Yankees DH is Nick Johnson who has been a disappointment.  The Red Sox DH is David Ortiz and he's been terrible.  Berkman could easily DH in both lineups, and with his defensive skills, he'd probably play the field some and give the 1st basemen days off.  The problem with the Red Sox has been their lineup hasnt produced to the level of the past and Ortiz isnt the same and no more Bay.  The Yankees lineup is really good but they are always willing to take on salary and the Red Sox could actually use Berkman if Berkman can return to form from his surgery.
[/quote]

Tex is a gold glove first baseman who will play 150+ games every year. Berkman wouldn't want to DH, he's still too young and has years in his legs. Wherever he goes, he'll be a position player.

Guest astrosfan75956
Berkman has been injured the past couple seasons, Im sure he would much appreciate being traded to one of these AL East teams that are in contention. Berkman could play DH some days, and some days he could play in the field to give guys days off. The Yanks or Socks would love to trade for Berkman in a Hearbeat. David Ortiz will not be on the Red Sox roster at the end of the season if he continues to hit like he has this season.

[quote name="BmtSportsfan2008" post="799762" timestamp="1273388716"]
Berkman has been injured the past couple seasons, Im sure he would much appreciate being traded to one of these AL East teams that are in contention. Berkman could play DH some days, and some days he could play in the field to give guys days off. The Yanks or Socks would love to trade for Berkman in a Hearbeat. David Ortiz will not be on the Red Sox roster at the end of the season if he continues to hit like he has this season.
[/quote]

The last few weeks he has been getting it going. If he keeps it up, he will. I'd love to see Buck come to Houston, but Boston isn't getting rid of him. He's been their best starter all year, and the most consistent. If they trade him, I'm sure it will be for more than an aging first basemen who is having trouble staying healthy.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anagha.23
    Newest Member
    anagha.23