*LC-M vs. Kingwood Park Playoff..GAME 3 UPDATES!!*/LCM ADVANCES!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="kpwinner2010" post="798921" timestamp="1273238819"]
didnt get gunned haha. he slid over the bag cuz it was turf. but thats just an excuse. hopefully those kp kids can get it done tonight. [b]they love the pressure[/b]
[/quote]

Apparently they don't like it as much as you thought!!! ;D

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="799547" timestamp="1273344722"]
Scott Vaughn dropped at fly ball to allow KP to tie it in the 7th, then hits a walkoff to end it.  I would say he redeemed himself with that HR.
[/quote]

That is sweet redemption. Doesn't happen like that too often.

Great job Bears. WOW. That's all you can say. Scott Vaughn, WOW, couldn't happen to a better young man. What a great game by Big Pappa Waddel on the mound. Big win, great team play by the Bears. Hats off to KP. Great group of players and coaches and fans.

Vaughan, Bears send Panthers packin'

Van Wade Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS —  Redemption is sweet.

Just ask Little Cypress-Mauriceville second baseman Scott Vaughan.

With two outs in the top of the seventh inning Kingwood Park’s Sam Gee hit an extremely high flyball towards first base with his team down 4-3. Vaughan scrambled over to make the catch but the ball escaped his grasp as Panther Tanner Schovasja, who had a leadoff single, scored on the error to give Kingwood Park new life.

Just when the Panthers thought they were ready to go on the prey, Vaughan sent Kingwood Park home reeling as he took a pitch from relief pitcher Josh Keller and sent a rocket solo home run over the leftfield fence to send the Bears to the Class 4A Region III area round with a 5-4 victory at Don Gibbens Field Saturday afternoon in Game Three of the Class 4A Region III bidistrict playoffs.

“Wow, what a sigh of relief,” said Vaughan. “That pop fly was high and I lost it a little in the sun and I really felt bad. I took my frustration out on the first pitch I saw.”

What kind of pitch did Vaughan see?

“It was a fast ball but I really saw it all the way and I just crushed it,” said Vaughan. “My teammates, they were behind me all the way and said we could bounce back and I was able to come through quick. I didn’t want to see the game go into extra innings.”

One thing for sure, the Panthers must have felt like the name “Vaughan” was stamped on their foreheads when they left Gibbens dejected.

In the series, Vaughan went 7-for-10 with the home run, three doubles and five runs batted in.

“I couldn’t be happier for the kid,” said LC-M coach Steve Griffith. “He could have had his head down after that play on the fly ball and it wasn’t an easy fly to catch either. But the kid is such a competitor, he went out and got the job done at the plate. Once he hit it, there really was no doubt.”

Vaughan likes the way his hitting has improved.

“I was struggling at the plate a lot until the last couple weeks,” said Vaughan. “We made a few tweaks in practice and I’ve really been seeing the ball well and have been much more patient.”

“Really, the kids have improved across the board lately with the bats,”said Griffith. “Vaughan had a terriffic series. Hunter Gonzalez has hit the ball well along with Mason Dallas. It’s a good time to get hot.”

The Bears will now face Magnolia in the 4A Region III area round next week.

The Bears downed Kingwood Park 3-0 in Game One Thursday before falling to the Panthers 12-3 in Game Two.

LC-M senior Shane Waddell had a superb outing on the hill after a rocky first inning. Waddell worked all seven frames, scattering five hits while striking out four and walking four.

“After the first inning, Shane settled in pretty good,” said Griffith. “That’s what you expect from a senior.”

Philip Keyes pitched the first 4 2/3 innings for the Panthers, allowing eight hits while striking out two and walking one. Keller hurled 1 1/3 innings, striking out one and walking one while giving up the Vaughan blast.

The Panthers grabbed a 2-0 lead after the top half of the first, generating three hits off Waddell.

Tanner Schovasja had a leadoff single to left and with one out Sam Gee ripped a tight double over the third-base line. Sam May then put down a perfect squeeze bunt that went for a base hit as both Schovasja and Gee were both able to score n the play.

The Bears didn’t hibernate long, scoring three runs in the bottom half of the first by tagging Keyes for four hits.

Dallas had a leadoff single to right and went to second on a nice sacrifice bunt by Jonathan Allen and Ryan Waddell followed with a single to right.

Dallas trimmed the margin to 2-1 when he scored off a wild Keyes pitch.

Brandon Landry tied things up, scoring Waddell with a single up the middle and Vaughan gave the Bears the lead with a deep double off the centerfield wall that plated Landry.

The Panthers tied it up at 3-3 in the top of the second.

Keller reached on an error at short and moved to second on a Keyes sac bunt and to third on a Schovasja groundout. Keller then scored on a passed ball.

LC-M went up 4-3 in the bottom of the third frame.

Vaughan was the instigator again, roping a leadoff double to left. Shane Waddell then reached on an error after he put down a bunt, moving Vaughan to third. Vaughan then scored off a Gonzalez fielder’s choice ground ball with Waddell being thrown out at second on the play.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="799406" timestamp="1273293522"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=69470.msg798611#msg798611 date=1273181300]
Bears get this 1st one, probably finish the series Sat, with PNG sweeping the next 2, we look back at just 1 bad inning of Vidor and we leave with a 3-1 record against 19-4A.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="799599" timestamp="1273355810"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=69470.msg799406#msg799406 date=1273293522]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=69470.msg798611#msg798611 date=1273181300]
Bears get this 1st one, probably finish the series Sat, with PNG sweeping the next 2, we look back at just 1 bad inning of Vidor and we leave with a 3-1 record against 19-4A.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

;D

Not bad at all.

It was very sad to see my team come up short, but what a wonderful story of redemption.  This is why high school sports is so great, and the lessons learned from one half inning of baseball will last a lifetime.

Congrats to LCM and specifically, fantastic job to Mr. Vaughn.

[quote name="Panther Dad" post="800030" timestamp="1273500747"]
It was very sad to see my team come up short, but what a wonderful story of redemption.  This is why high school sports is so great, and the lessons learned from one half inning of baseball will last a lifetime.

Congrats to LCM and specifically, fantastic job to Mr. Vaughn.
[/quote]

Great post Panther Dad!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83