Solid Choice For Hamshire Fannett...

Anyone here from Hampshire Fannett?  There is a name on the list that should strongly be considered.  His name is Danny Malone.  I would pick him over Price.  He is the former PN-G coach.  And anyone that would be interested can go back and see what he did at PN-G.
I would push those making the decisions to seriously consider Danny Malone!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an HF coach tell me yesterday that he had recently received several notes from Jr. high parents telling him that they didn't want their kid lifting weights because "they felt" like it would adversely effect them in baseball and basketball. Keep in mind that the Jr. high just started a new weight program about a month ago. This is HF's problem. Any positive step in the right direction is met with adversity. As long as these parents know more than the coaches this program doesn't have a prayer.

[quote name="Glad19" post="784764" timestamp="1270067535"]
Had an HF coach tell me yesterday that he had recently received several notes from Jr. high parents telling him that they didn't want their kid lifting weights because "they felt" like it would adversely effect them in baseball and basketball. Keep in mind that the Jr. high just started a new weight program about a month ago. This is HF's problem. Any positive step in the right direction is met with adversity. As long as these parents know more than the coaches this program doesn't have a prayer.
[/quote]

Well, since the HF Sr Little Dribblers just won the regional tournament and are advancing to the national tournament in a couple of weeks, I can't blame the parents not wanting their basketball kids lifting weights until after tournament. 

I doubt Duke is lifting much weight this week.

He is a solid choice.  A choice the community would/could be proud of.  He is a good christian man who cares deeply for all students...

[quote name="eknights88" post="784584" timestamp="1270044509"]
even if malone only stayed 3-4 years, it would be well worth it. Just to get the program going in the rt direction. Winning just breds winning.
[/quote]

[quote name="BadMedicine" post="784853" timestamp="1270083818"]
[quote author=Glad19 link=topic=67983.msg784764#msg784764 date=1270067535]
[/quote]

Well, since the HF Sr Little Dribblers just won the regional tournament and are advancing to the national tournament in a couple of weeks, I can't blame the parents not wanting their basketball kids lifting weights until after tournament.  

I doubt Duke is lifting much weight this week.
[/quote]

I bet Duke's basketball players aren't multi-sport athletes that need to train year round for more than their respective sport either.  ::)

probably not too many HF kids going to Duke to play basketball either...parents need to let coaches coach and implement their system...if the coach has a fair chance with his system and is unsuccessful, then get rid of him...you know that what you are doing now does not work...try something different and you may get a different result...one thing i can assure you, if you continue to do the same things, you can expect the same results

Guest Penny
There is a lot of ignorance in the way of strength training... interesting article.

Tom Emma is a graduate of Duke University, where he was a three-year basketball starter and captain his senior year, and was later drafted by the Chicago Bulls in 1983. He holds a Masters degree from Columbia University, and is specialized in sports conditioning. He is the owner of Power Performance, Inc. and has several books available, including "101 Strength and Conditioning Exercises & Drills for Basketball", "Peak Conditioning Training for Basketball" and "Peak Conditioning Training for Young Athletes". Tom has also authored several other articles on this web-site. I appreciate this excellent article that Tom has contributed to the web-site... Coach Gels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While strength training is obviously a staple of any serious basketball player's year-round improvement program today, it wasn't always the case. There was a time not all that long ago when working out in the weight room was taboo for hoopsters. The prevailing "wisdom" was that strength training would build unnecessary body weight and tighten muscles, thus slowing the player down and hindering shooting touch and ball handling ability. Additionally, and certainly unthinkable today, many so-called experts of yesteryear believed that lifting weights regularly would increase an athlete's susceptibility to injury (even a novice, contemporary follower of sports knows that strengthening the body helps to prevent injury not cause it).

Fortunately, the basketball world has slowly but surely come to its collective senses concerning strength training. It started initially with big men (power forwards and centers) who needed added bulk and strength in order to hold position in the post and mix it up under the boards. Shortly thereafter small forwards and guards got into the strength training act, firmly establishing weightlifting as a performance enhancing tool for basketball players.

[color=blue][b]However, their was one aspect of basketball strength training that lagged the pack. Strength workouts were more often than not only prescribed for the off-season months. In season strength work was discouraged for the most part. The feeling was that adding additional physical activity in the form of strength training to already demanding practice sessions and games would be too much for players to handle. Finally, and not a moment too soon if you ask me, strength work became a year-round affair for all basketball players, with cagers lifting consistently not only in the off-season but throughout the competitive campaign as well. This change of heart toward in season lifting has allowed basketball players to maintain their hard earned strength gains on a season long basis.[/b][/color]
It has been estimated that elite athletes incur noticeable strength loss in as little as three weeks after the discontinuation of strength training. For basketball players in the midst of a season this may happen faster and deeper because of all the up and down running, jumping, and cutting required when playing the game. As such, in season strength training has become at least as important as the off season variety and is now a prerequisite for basketball athletes at all levels of play from middle school on up though the professional ranks. Listed and explained below are numerous ideas and strategies that coaches and their staffs can incorporate in order to make in season basketball strength programs as efficient and successful as possible. Good luck!

[quote name="Glad19" post="784764" timestamp="1270067535"]
[/quote] Parents do know "their child" more than a coach.  If you felt something was not in your son's best interest you would make the decision for him instead of leaving it up to a coach.  I would bet money you have already done this during some point of your son's athletic career.

Well anyway, the name of HF's new guy is supposed to be released today. I know that several of our younger athletes future with HF hinges on this decision. Will they stay or will they go? I sure hope our Supt gets this right. Whoever is chosen may God bless him. He's going to need it.

Guest Penny
[quote name="4wd" post="785002" timestamp="1270128358"]
[/quote] Parents do know "their child" more than a coach.  If you felt something was not in your son's best interest you would make the decision for him instead of leaving it up to a coach.  I would bet money you have already done this during some point of your son's athletic career.
[/quote]

You absolutely have the right and obligation to make those decisions.... but they come with consequences.  That consequence may mean not being a part of the program.  Doesn't mean you're wrong, you just can't be a part of something if you "choose" not to be a part of it.  Before making that decision, make sure you understand what you are doing.

[quote name="Penny" post="785019" timestamp="1270130751"]
[quote author=4wd link=topic=67983.msg785002#msg785002 date=1270128358]
[/quote]

You absolutely have the right and obligation to make those decisions.... but they come with consequences.  That consequence may mean not being a part of the program.  Doesn't mean you're wrong, you just can't be a part of something if you "choose" not to be a part of it.  Before making that decision, make sure you understand what you are doing.
[/quote]I agree.

[quote name="Glad19" post="785009" timestamp="1270129488"]
See my point?
[/quote]Why even make a point........word is you've already made the decision to go!  What do you know, you do make decisions for your son  ;D

My opinion-  You don't get "bigger, faster, stronger"  by just shooting free throws.  Parents that don't want their kids in the weight room don't understand what it takes to be a top notch athlete.  If  I didn't trust the coaches in my kid's school any more than some of these parents appear to, I wouldn't allow them to be in the program.  I certainly wouldn't put them in a Little Dribbler, Pee Wee, or Little League program with "dad coaches" who haven't had any training in kineseology or first aid,  or have studied the methods that are tried and true.  Coaches don't do what they do because they just love being told they are wrong.  They want to help kids improve.  I have to believe they are going to look out for my kid's best interest, physically.  But they are also going to look out for the best interest of the program.  Sometimes that may require a sacrifice of what I want personally.

All of this pretty much solidifies what I was saying about Malone not being the right guy for the job. If you want a coach that is going to push the kids to get the most out of them and teach them discipline in all aspects of life, Malone is your man...Sounds like that aint what HF is lookin for. I just couldn't see him staying long with the HF parents on him. Remember that is one of the things that drove him away from PNG. That and a woman that wanted to be close to home (Nebraska).

I am interested in this move because I have a nephew who is in the 6th grade in HF who is a monster (5'9" 180 lbs) and has played Pop Warner until the last two years when he was too big to play (which is a totally insane rule).

[quote name="baseballfreak" post="785032" timestamp="1270133388"]
My opinion-  You don't get "bigger, faster, stronger"  by just shooting free throws.  Parents that don't want their kids in the weight room don't understand what it takes to be a top notch athlete.  If  I didn't trust the coaches in my kid's school any more than some of these parents appear to, I wouldn't allow them to be in the program.  I certainly wouldn't put them in a Little Dribbler, Pee Wee, or Little League program with "dad coaches" who haven't had any training in kineseology or first aid,  or have studied the methods that are tried and true.  Coaches don't do what they do because they just love being told they are wrong.  They want to help kids improve.  I have to believe they are going to look out for my kid's best interest, physically.  But they are also going to look out for the best interest of the program.  Sometimes that may require a sacrifice of what I want personally.
[/quote]You hit the nail on the head "If I didn't trust the coaches in my kid's school"-----that's the issue more than the program itself.

All I am saying is that if we, the community, want a successfull program, we have to start finding reasons to say "yes" instead of "no". That starts with the hiring of a good, qualified coach followed by support from the community and administration. Players and parents must buy in to that program and do whatever necessary to support it. I saw this happen at PN-G with Doug Ethridge, at Westbrook with Alex Durley and at Thomas Jefferson with Coach Thompson. Working together as a community to achieve a goal is a great thing.

First of all we are talking about junior high athletes lifting weights. How many junior high athletes actually benefit physically from lifting weights in the first place? I understand that you want to implement your program and that is fine but to form, technique, and tempo in my opinion. Another thing is that coaches (outside of baseball and basketball) do not see any problems with pressing heavy weight above your head and taking lifts past 90 degrees. Another objection is are these workouts the same that are done during football season? Highly doubt it...I agree with lifting in-season but to complement that sport...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83