One word..............

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="mffl" post="773380" timestamp="1268079850"]
Before we find Roc's replacement we have to consider one thing, Roc is not gone yet!
[/quote]

This is true.  Some things have to happen in order for him to leave and those things have not happened. 

It is not Clyde!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="773418" timestamp="1268083206"]
Boute doesn't have to recruit, he just needs to get a guy who knows how to make it happen... Just like at KState or Baylor!!!!  Those head coaches coach... The assistance recruit!
[/quote]
Those two schools have much, much bigger budgets and have more Assistant coaches!

[quote name="sleepy" post="773315" timestamp="1268072887"]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=66956.msg773232#msg773232 date=1268065823]
Sleepy you are new but probably you are one of those people that said Brown will never make it to UT or that Perk would never make it in the NBA?  Boutte has the knowledge and the name to get the players there and be successful!  I Boutte were at Lamar we would have  never lost kids like Clearance Matthews, Trey McDowel, Kris Richards, Keena Young, Hancocks (the many), Danahoe, etc. to schools outside of the area!!!!

Gillespie sounds wonderful but he [glow=red,2,300]will not [/glow] go from big time D1 to the Southland...  Maybe the Mountain West, Conference USA, A-10, SWAC, or Horizon but not the Southland!!!! Gillespie still has an opportunity to get a job in a major conference!
[/quote]

Gillespie will be the new coach at UH so we don't have to worry about that. I never said Brown would not make it at UT.  While I worried about his attitude adjustment I was more than convinced he had the talent.  Don't get your panties in a wod either.  Nowhere did I say Boutte COULDN'T do the job I just said he WOULD'T get the job.  Settle down pal.  I like Boutte.  Tubbs ego is to big to try out on a former High School coach.
[/quote]

I wear boxers dude!!!  And they don't bunch up.. much!!! I guess Tubbs' ego would have been too high to hire John Wooden too?  get the right guy regardless of weather he is a past high school guy or college guy and he will win for you!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="773431" timestamp="1268084772"]
You don't need a big budget to go after the right people...  Ask McNeese, SFA, and Sam Houston...  They have all done it right here in the Southland.  Where Lamar has been the epitome of mediocrity!
[/quote]

Come on guys.  Let's try and get it for a second.  Bob Marlin was not a high school coach.  Lamar had a chance to hire him but NO ONE knew he would be succesful until he got hired as a head coach and he was an assistant before.  Don't get me wrong I love Andre Boutte but he is not the answer at Lamar.  He has ZERO track record at the college level.  Lamar does not have the money to hire the "RIGHT GUY"
nor does the  "RIGHT GUY" want to come to lamar as an assistant.  You can do that at Kansas State and other big schools because that will lead to being a head coach at a BIG school but it won't at Lamar.  Bottom line is the head coach has to be the recruiter, coach, and everything else when you are coaching at the southland.  This job is for an up and coming coach and not a place for GREAT assistants and Andre Boutte cannot lure the GREAT assistants.  It is just not happening fellas.

Neither could Roc with all those credentials... They don't mean a thing when you hand over the reigns...  Plenty of big names and noteriety have failed and failed big... Frank Martin's name did not get those players!!! Even at Baylor, it took guys with some other background...  Maybe the trick is not to shoot so high for a canidate that will not come!  They have done that and failed.  Players from this and the Houston area would play for Boutte before going to Tennessee Tech, La Tech, BYU, or Tulane.... Period!  We have sent some of our best players to these schools...  Even the Hancock, Skip Jackson, and Edward Garret went to Southland schools... They coould have been great together at Lamar!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="773586" timestamp="1268106721"]
Neither could Roc with all those credentials... They don't mean a thing when you hand over the reigns...  Plenty of big names and noteriety have failed and failed big... Frank Martin's name did not get those players!!! Even at Baylor, it took guys with some other background...  Maybe the trick is not to shoot so high for a canidate that will not come!  They have done that and failed.  Players from this and the Houston area would play for Boutte before going to Tennessee Tech, La Tech, BYU, or Tulane.... Period!   We have sent some of our best players to these schools...  Even the Hancock, Skip Jackson, and Edward Garret went to Southland schools... They coould have been great together at Lamar!
[/quote]

Garriet and Hancock could have been decent Lamar players but Jackson not so much.  I just simply disagree that he could keep players from going to BYU, La Tech, and Tulane. The exposure they get is just on a different level than that of Lamar.  I just don't see that happening. Tennessee Tech.......well yes he could keep them from going there. I agree that we should not shoot so high when trying to get a head coach.  I simply don't think Boutte would be the answer.  With that said if they gave him a chance I would fully support him and it would be fun to watch.  In my opinion I don't think it is the right thing to do.

Bottom line is there are already people interested in the job that would be great here.  Young guys with Texas ties.

[quote name="sleepy" post="773696" timestamp="1268141516"]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=66956.msg773586#msg773586 date=1268106721]
Neither could Roc with all those credentials... They don't mean a thing when you hand over the reigns...  Plenty of big names and noteriety have failed and failed big... Frank Martin's name did not get those players!!! Even at Baylor, it took guys with some other background...  Maybe the trick is not to shoot so high for a canidate that will not come!  They have done that and failed.  Players from this and the Houston area would play for Boutte before going to Tennessee Tech, La Tech, BYU, or Tulane.... Period!   We have sent some of our best players to these schools...  Even the Hancock, Skip Jackson, and Edward Garret went to Southland schools... They coould have been great together at Lamar!
[/quote]

Garriet and Hancock could have been decent Lamar players but Jackson not so much.  I just simply disagree that he could keep players from going to BYU, La Tech, and Tulane. The exposure they get is just on a different level than that of Lamar.  I just don't see that happening. Tennessee Tech.......well yes he could keep them from going there. I agree that we should not shoot so high when trying to get a head coach.  I simply don't think Boutte would be the answer.  With that said if they gave him a chance I would fully support him and it would be fun to watch.  In my opinion I don't think it is the right thing to do.

Bottom line is there are already people interested in the job that would be great here.  Young guys with Texas ties.
[/quote]Boutee is young and has Texas ties

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="773703" timestamp="1268143379"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=66956.msg773696#msg773696 date=1268141516]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your idea of young and mine are different. 

[quote name="sleepy" post="773705" timestamp="1268143517"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=66956.msg773703#msg773703 date=1268143379]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]hMMM? When did the definition of "young" change? Please explain!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="773712" timestamp="1268144687"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=66956.msg773705#msg773705 date=1268143517]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Young is a relative term.  Do you understand what relative means? The guy I am speaking of is in his 20's and the guy you are speaking of is in his 40's or 50's.  Big difference.  Get the drift.  And oh by the way here is the definition of a young man!

Noun 1. young man - a teenager or a young adult male   

[quote name="sleepy" post="773718" timestamp="1268145035"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=66956.msg773712#msg773712 date=1268144687]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Young is a relative term.  Do you understand what relative means? The guy I am speaking of is in his 20's and the guy you are speaking of is in his 40's or 50's.  Big difference.  Get the drift.  And oh by the way here is the definition of a young man!

[/quote]So wait a minute. Let me get this staright. You're saying LU should have a young man or teenager as a coach???

Guest coachacola
My guess is Matt Cross at LSC-PA who's only 26.  He seems to win wherever he coaches.  From the PA News when he was first hired:

[quote] Cross, 26, comes to Port Arthur from Talladega College in Alabama where he led a program in its first year to the USCAA national championship. Along the way to an improbable title, his 25-7 Tornados defeated five schools playing basketball at the Division 1 level.

A native of Shreveport and a graduate of the University of Arkansas at Monticello in 2005, Cross is 46-20 in two seasons as a head coach. He took the Talladega College post last season, after guiding Texas College to a 21-13 record as head coach in the 2007-2008 season.

The 21 wins were a school record for Texas College and the Steers attained their highest ever ranking of No. 17 in the NAIA Division 1 poll. It was Texas College’s first winning season in three years and their 15-game improvement from the previous season was an NAIA best.[/quote]

This year, his first at LSC-PA, he took the Seahawks to the playoffs.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="773732" timestamp="1268146412"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=66956.msg773718#msg773718 date=1268145035]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=66956.msg773712#msg773712 date=1268144687]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]So wait a minute. Let me get this staright. You're saying LU should have a young man or teenager as a coach???
[/quote]

A young man who is in his 20's will be in the running IF the job comes open.  It is not Matt Cross.  He currently at a University in the state as an assistant.  You understand what I mean dove.  I think a young energetic guy would be better than a 50 something.  JMHO!

Guest coachacola
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="773771" timestamp="1268149439"]
I thought Roc was described as young and energetic when he arrived on the scene?Thats alread been tried several times at LU. Maybe it's time for a father-figure to run things around here.
[/quote]

Lamar has tried almost every kind of coach there is these last 20 years without much success!  :D

[quote name="coachacola" post="773774" timestamp="1268149795"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=66956.msg773771#msg773771 date=1268149439]
I thought Roc was described as young and energetic when he arrived on the scene?Thats alread been tried several times at LU. Maybe it's time for a father-figure to run things around here.
[/quote]

Lamar has tried almost every kind of coach there is these last 20 years without much success!   :D
[/quote]Hmm? Who was 50 years old the last 20 years and could control and evaluate players? Name one!

The Lamar PA coach was decent... I give him kudos on the job he accomplished.  Truth be told his division was a little down this year, but one year and 20's old makes him more qualified than Boutte?  Young college coaches are mostly in their 40's... I am not saying it will be Boutte I am just saying your argument that he is not the answer has really big holes!! 

It is time for new blood... Let us see where it comes from!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="773851" timestamp="1268156241"]
The Lamar PA coach was decent... I give him kudos on the job he accomplished.  Truth be told his division was a little down this year, but one year and 20's old makes him more qualified than Boutte?  Young college coaches are mostly in their 40's... I am not saying it will be Boutte I am just saying your argument that he is not the answer has really big holes!! 

It is time for new blood... Let us see where it comes from!
[/quote]

My argument that has holes as well as yours.  In fact your holes are much larger.  Sorry hiring a former high school coach at the college level is ALWAYS a leep of faith.  PERIOD!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder