ESPN Rise Article on Yates!

i love how class & respect come up when u beat a team. but the whole week of practice & during the game do whatever it takes to win & play hard the whole game give 110%. no wait a minute this team is not that good we are way better lets back off & not embarress them.yeah i wanted to hear that when i played on either side-bullcrap

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the difference between winning by 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and maybe 100 points, nothing? High school teams do this all the time. Just pick up a news paper or get on SETXSPORTS.COM and look at all the 40 and 50 plus point blowouts that happen throughout the year. All I hear about is class, are you serious. Not too many people in this world have “CLASS.” Understand that you are witnessing greatness, yes I said greatness. This group of young men is doing something that has not been seen since the 85’ Madison team, which is dominate their opponent. I got a chance to see them play against Friendswood last Friday and the fans said some pretty bad things about these young man. I heard Friendswood fan say things like “Ghetto Ball” and some other things I care not to repeat. These were not the people from Yates but from FRIENDSWOOD. The Yates players don’t trash talk; they just play and play very hard. We are talking about a high school basketball team, not some thugs robbing and killing someone but a great basketball team. There are more important things going on in the world today to be wasting all this time talking about a so call terrible classless coach and a bunch of so call thug athletes. People hate to say it but race plays a significant part in this discussion. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were I documentary made 10 years from now about Yates and all the criticism.

LOL!!!! When Kelly or Lumberton string together eleven 100 point games and start beating people by 50, 60, and 70+ points, you'll have people jumping out of windows.....and yes, the criticism will be there.

The Yates team could be little green men and I'd still think they were great. You guys kill me.

[quote name="white/tiger" post="769246" timestamp="1267501486"]
if you are a real athlete you would rather a team beat you by 1000 points then have them fill sorry for you and start playing around and still beat you
[/quote]or a real [color=red]c0mpetitive[/color] athlete!!!!!!!!

[quote name="ShayneBasketball" post="768800" timestamp="1267476570"]
So what is the difference between winning by 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and maybe 100 points, nothing? High school teams do this all the time. Just pick up a news paper or get on SETXSPORTS.COM and look at all the 40 and 50 plus point blowouts that happen throughout the year. All I hear about is class, are you serious. Not too many people in this world have “CLASS.” Understand that you are witnessing greatness, yes I said greatness. This group of young men is doing something that has not been seen since the 85’ Madison team, which is dominate their opponent. I got a chance to see them play against Friendswood last Friday and the fans said some pretty bad things about these young man. I heard Friendswood fan say things like “Ghetto Ball” and some other things I care not to repeat. These were not the people from Yates but from FRIENDSWOOD. The Yates players don’t trash talk; they just play and play very hard. We are talking about a high school basketball team, not some thugs robbing and killing someone but a great basketball team. There are more important things going on in the world today to be wasting all this time talking about a so call terrible classless coach and a bunch of so call thug athletes. People hate to say it but race plays a significant part in this discussion. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were I documentary made 10 years from now about Yates and all the criticism.

[/quote]

Yea I too sit near some Friendswood fans and heard nothing about "No Class". All I heard was a lot of racial comments that had nothing to do with basketball. I didn't hear that Coach Wise was self promoting but I did hear that he was a xo!#*?. They seemed to be more consumed that they were black and NOT that they were getting beat 104-48.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="742358" timestamp="1263253139"]
Blue, I have seen my fair share of basketball in my lifetime. All kinds, from "high flying" to "stall ball".

I have seen state championship basketball, all classifications, for 38 straight years now. I think I know what I am talking about.

I have seen teams that play the "high flying" style win state championships while being able to let up when things got out of hand. They had that ability and I believe Yates has that ability too. Wise just chooses to keep the pedal to the metal, no matter what. No excuse for that.

I am sorry, but what is so hard to understand. A team is up by 88 points at halftime and continues to press the entire game, is running up the score intentionally. It is completely unnecessary. Has nothing to do with keeping the teams edge, or preparing them for playoffs, or preparing them for life, or.......... GET REAL!!! ::) You'll never convince me that letting up on the pressure is going to cost those guys anything.

Self glorification, that's all it is.

Like I said, I have no problem with someone scoring 170 points and I do not want teams to "quit" scoring. I just have a problem with a team that continues to trap and press when up by over 100 points. Totally unnecessary.
[/quote]

[color=navy][b]Amen to your post as you clearly "get it" and I've already covered this issue on another thread so no need to beat a dead horse nor their HC because the guy clearly doesn't and never will "get it"! Just because you can do it doesn't make it right...think![/b][/color]

[quote name="Boogy1000" post="768728" timestamp="1267470540"]
There is no team in the state of Texas in the last 15 years that could beat this Yates team. Maybe the 1999/00 Willowridge could but no one else. This team is like a ALLStar team of talent. Houston doesnt have zones so a child from North Houston can go to a school in south Houston if he or she chooses. Yates has 8 jr's on this team as well.
[/quote]

You are so wrong about this statement!

[quote name="xLmCoog88" post="769412" timestamp="1267520397"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64603.msg742358#msg742358 date=1263253139]
Blue, I have seen my fair share of basketball in my lifetime. All kinds, from "high flying" to "stall ball".

I have seen state championship basketball, all classifications, for 38 straight years now. I think I know what I am talking about.

I have seen teams that play the "high flying" style win state championships while being able to let up when things got out of hand. They had that ability and I believe Yates has that ability too. Wise just chooses to keep the pedal to the metal, no matter what. No excuse for that.

I am sorry, but what is so hard to understand. A team is up by 88 points at halftime and continues to press the entire game, is running up the score intentionally. It is completely unnecessary. Has nothing to do with keeping the teams edge, or preparing them for playoffs, or preparing them for life, or.......... GET REAL!!! ::) You'll never convince me that letting up on the pressure is going to cost those guys anything.

Self glorification, that's all it is.

Like I said, I have no problem with someone scoring 170 points and I do not want teams to "quit" scoring. I just have a problem with a team that continues to trap and press when up by over 100 points. Totally unnecessary.
[/quote]

[color=navy][b]Amen to your post as you clearly "get it" and I've already covered this issue on another thread so no need to beat a dead horse nor their HC because the guy clearly doesn't and never will "get it"! Just because you can do it doesn't make it right...think![/b][/color]
[/quote]"I have seen," 'I have seen"....... Not one time did I read where you played or coached the game. What yates is doing is nothing new. They have always pressed the whole game. Wheatley included!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder