Question For The Vets

badndn

[quote name="trout" post="731190" timestamp="1260937931"]
If you ask team's coach first there will be no misunderstanding about what you trying to do by picking the other's teams kid.
[/quote]
Thank You Mr. Armentrout. That's what I thought and it has always been the policy that we have followed as well.

Recently we loaned three players to an older local team that was short for the weekend. Our girls had a blast, and strengthened their relationship with the kids on this other team. Our kids played six games Sunday, finished the tournament, and still made it back to
practice with their own team later that evening. The coach in need of players called our coach before our players.  There will never be a problem between these two teams borrowing players when in need. We are all here for the same reason, to teach these girls sportsmanship, values, integrity, and work ethic. Although we all battle each other on the field, it is great to work together to help these young ladies. Calling the coach before the player has always worked for us.Hope this info will help.

Guest shake and bake
Mine picked up with Texas Cobras Gold at Ronald McDonald this year and they treated her great. She played more than we ever expected and they made the experience well worth it. I told CC what we were going to do and he had no problem with it. In something like that where your team is not playing and there are chances to get kids seen by scouts you have to go for it and the coaches that have the KIDS best interest at heart will understand. As long as everything is out in the open you should have no problem. I will also say that within 15 min mine knew everyone on that team . It takes the right kind of kid to just pickup with a group of girls that you do not know and play. One thing about mine is she is NOT bashful and will talk to any and everybody.

In a perfect world,,,,,. I've been on the wrong end of the stick several times when the "unwritten rule" was forgotten and it ain't fun because the rest of our girls and therefore their parents usually knew before I did and it was a call from one of them that clued me in. The girls sometimes take it like a slap in the face, worse I think with the younger ages, and that takes some dealing with to keep it from hurting morale, especially at the next practice when the pick-up returns. It wasn't her fault - she wasn't out there fishing for a spot, but there are some coaches (and parents) out there that just don't look at anything but their own agendas. The last two years it's a topic we discuss at team/parent meeting before we crank up a new season. Like 7x2 said, we're hopefully also teaching sportsmanship, values and integrity. Now, that said, anybody got a 12U, tobacco-chewin' third baseman that might be unhappy?!!!

On a related note, true story:  I was co-managing a 12U team and was approached by another 12U manager to ask if my DD could pick up with them the next weekend due to injured player.  I said, sure, we aren't playing or practicing so why not?  Pool games go fine with DD playing OF and batting 9th.  First bracket game, DD comes out of dugout as lead-off,  looking at me behind the fence with bewilderment, but it was too late for me to do anything.  Turned out to be a very uncomfortable day for both of us, especially me sitting with the other parents.  Note to rookie coaches:  be very careful how you use your pick-ups, and if you are gonna use them in skill positions or other than last in order, explain why ahead of time to your parents and players.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Darren33
I agree with Trout.  The requesting team should contact the other team's head coach with the request.    Most will allow it as long as it's a one-off and not habitual.  But not doing this will spurn lack of trust between the two team's coaches, the players, etc.   Definitely always go through the head coach.

Darren....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• No chance in hell that this pos is found guilty. 
    • After his silly conviction, President Trump has raised over 200 Million dollars!  The people are seeing through it!  Excellent!  
    • Let’s see if joe biden’s words about no one is above the law, made after the rigged trial of President Trump, rings true with his po💩son.  Hopefully, but I’m not going to hold my breath, they put the sorry sob in prison.
    • I liked his no bull crap attitude. He was a man of very few words. Extremely strong and freaky athletic!!! As close as possible to being the best offensive lineman to ever play the game. I hope his family finds peace without him!!! RIP #73
    • Chester, a small town in NE Tyler County.  A town that is seeing growth with the addition of a national chain store and a new school being built.  If you travel 287 toward Dallas from the Golden Triangle you have probably passed through Chester.  Things tend to stay pretty consistent and it is your typical small town.   A trip to state is the buzz around town, and the talk before church services begin on Sunday.  This year’s graduating class will number 11.  We don’t have a radio station that covers the Yellowjackets.  We are never a lead story on any of the news stations that broadcast to our community. With all that said, there is a closeness and sense of pride in our community.  Every community rallies behind their kids as they progress into the playoffs.  We are proud of our boys as they have represented our community well and with class. We invite you to follow our boys as they go to state.  We welcome the greater SETX communities as honorary Yellowjackets.  Tune in, watch live or come to Round Rock personally and join us in supporting the Chester Yellowjackets.  Go ‘Jackets!!! ⚾️💜💛⚾️🟣🟡⚾️💜💛⚾️
  • Topics