Rice 3 - Southerland 1

I have said a few times that Central has a very good team.  They beat HJ without there football players as well.  Central had a good game plan and HJ picked a bad day to shoot the ball terribly!!!  Most 3A playoff teams are not suppose to beat 4A playoff teams.  What is your point???  I have said congrats what more do you want???  How many playoff games has Rice won, how many district championships, how many regional championships, how many state championships, etc.  If we are gonna compare the two coaches that lets compare everything!!!!!! ;) ;) :D :D

You made my point!!! You guys used to get your panties all bunched up when ANYONE told you all that it is a difference between small school and big school ball!!!  Now all of a sudden it is OK to say that 4A playoff teams are "supposed to be" better than 3A playoff teams?  Rice has had to see a REAL tough playoff slate in 4A playoffs, he is a fairly new head coach with a tenure of about 7 yrs, all in big school, he has alot of time to get better! The guy is in his mid-thirties and spent the first half of his career fairly successful in a town where most of the talent flocked to the hall of fame coach!!! I think he has done a bang-up job...

Does that answer your question ZEEK?

First of all he is almost 40!!!!  He is older than me!!!  Yes he is at a disadvantage that most good players went to Ozen, but with the "legend" gone he should be able to keep and actually get some of those players to go to Central now.  So you think that in 20 years that you will be able to compare Sutherland and Rice's resume???  If so you are crazy!!!!  And there is a huge difference in a 4a playoff and a 3a playoff team.  You think that Ozen and OF were close last season???  There is a difference.  I hope that Central has a great season and makes a deep run in the playoffs as well.  See it is easy for me to congratulate and wish a team well that beat my team..........it is very hard for some on this board to do that!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Second of all  ;D ::) Sutherland will probably go down as a small school legend unless he tries his hand at the big school divisions in the future.  Rice has alot of catching up to do on the resume, of course... THe thread just stated a fact.  Outside of playing against the Jags I would like everyone to be successful and keep SETX on the map.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="720633" timestamp="1259552675"]
First of all he is almost 40!!!!  He is older than me!!!  Yes he is at a disadvantage that most good players went to Ozen, but with the "legend" gone he should be able to keep and actually get some of those players to go to Central now.  So you think that in 20 years that you will be able to compare Sutherland and Rice's resume???  If so you are crazy!!!!  And there is a huge difference in a 4a playoff and a 3a playoff team.  You think that Ozen and OF were close last season???  There is a difference.  I hope that Central has a great season and makes a deep run in the playoffs as well.  See it is easy for me to congratulate and wish a team well that beat my team..........it is very hard for some on this board to do that!!!! ;) ;) ;)
[/quote]So what is the HUGE difference between 4A and 3A playoff teams?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="720687" timestamp="1259556582"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=63109.msg720633#msg720633 date=1259552675]
[/quote]

If you want to start with the obvious it would be enrollment. HJ has 650 while Central has 1450. Now I'm not saying this always matters. Good basketball tradition programs will allow some smaller schools to continue to produce a product that can and will beat teams that have twice the enrollment as them (ie Kountze 400 to Silsbee 880). It's not that uncommon. What a good question would be is how are these teams able to compete at all against these schools with twice the enrollment. I personally believe it's tradition and coaching. By the way, I would love to see Sutherland get his hands on a larger enrollment school and see just what he could do with it. I personally would not want to be playing against him, much less with the numbers stacked against me as well. This wouldn't be good!!

[quote name="shackbully" post="720703" timestamp="1259576699"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=63109.msg720687#msg720687 date=1259556582]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=63109.msg720633#msg720633 date=1259552675]
First of all he is almost 40!!!!  He is older than me!!!  Yes he is at a disadvantage that most good players went to Ozen, but with the "legend" gone he should be able to keep and actually get some of those players to go to Central now.  So you think that in 20 years that you will be able to compare Sutherland and Rice's resume???  If so you are crazy!!!!  And there is a huge difference in a 4a playoff and a 3a playoff team.  You think that Ozen and OF were close last season???  There is a difference.  I hope that Central has a great season and makes a deep run in the playoffs as well.  See it is easy for me to congratulate and wish a team well that beat my team..........it is very hard for some on this board to do that!!!! ;) ;) ;)
[/quote]If you want to start with the obvious it would be enrollment. HJ has 650 while Central has 1450. Now I'm not saying this always matters. Good basketball tradition programs will allow some smaller schools to continue to produce a product that can and will beat teams that have twice the enrollment as them (ie Kountze 400 to Silsbee 880). It's not that uncommon. What a good question would be is how are these teams able to compete at all against these schools with twice the enrollment. I personally believe it's tradition and coaching. By the way, I would love to see Sutherland get his hands on a larger enrollment school and see just what he could do with it. I personally would not want to be playing against him, much less with the numbers stacked against me as well. This wouldn't be good!!
[/quote]Okay, I was really trying to set up LAZEEK  and get him to answer :D

I just read this and would have answered with the same thing though..................HJ basically played what was Central's JV and for them to have those athlete's and basketball players on that team as a JV than they are much deeper and have more players to choose from because they are a bigger school with twice the enrollment.  Now there are also some exceptions to the rule.  Example HJ has played LCM, Nederland, Lumberton, etc in the past and have beaten them.  Size of school does have a bearing but not each time!!!  Dove I am just trying to come up with anything I can to make MYSELF feel better about losing to Central the other day!!!!

Guest stevenash
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="720750" timestamp="1259593364"]
I just read this and would have answered with the same thing though..................HJ basically played what was Central's JV and for them to have those athlete's and basketball players on that team as a JV than they are much deeper and have more players to choose from because they are a bigger school with twice the enrollment.  Now there are also some exceptions to the rule.  Example HJ has played LCM, Nederland, Lumberton, etc in the past and have beaten them.  Size of school does have a bearing but not each time!!!  Dove I am just trying to come up with anything I can to make MYSELF feel better about losing to Central the other day!!!!
[/quote]

Just remember, Zeek, that the 2013-2015 HF teams will compete against and beat all area 4-a playoff teams.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="720750" timestamp="1259593364"]
[/quote]LOL!  I'm enjoying the reasons for losing...lol!!!!  Good answers I might add.

[quote name="stevenash" post="720791" timestamp="1259597623"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=63109.msg720750#msg720750 date=1259593364]
[/quote]

Just remember, Zeek, that the 2013-2015 HF teams will compete against and beat all area 4-a playoff teams.
[/quote]I was just told the 2014 & 2015 play HJ next week. The road to Austin is moving along nicely :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder