Brookeland/..Read

Well first of all i want to say I feel refreshed after my long hiatus from the Forum. I am glad I'm back!

I have always backed the Brookeland Wildcats being a former student athlete of BHS.
After always argueing and wishing that BHS would get the recognition they deserved,
they open the season with the Preseason rank of #8. Now in the past I would have been stoked
about that ranking and that they deserve the recognition. but now, that is the total opposite.
I know the TABC ranks by the previous year and who is coming back, but thats the thing, No body from
last years team is on the current Brookeland basketball team. Not all due to Graduation, being only 2 starters last year
were seniors, but because of unlying reasons...

Coach Stappert, the ex-Spurger Coach, now the Head Basketball Coach for the Wildcats, and for those who have seen last years team play, he was walking into a gem of an oppurtunity, a very talented team. But all of a sudden, things fell apart...
3 of the would-be returning starters transfer out of the District for reasons "unknown", and the six man from last yrs team who would most likely be a starter followed suit..

Now I must rewind to the summer before this school year, with 18 teachers from the year before not coming  back for this year, for many reasons tied to the direction that the Administration is heading.

ok back on track, the bigger problem that must come to the notice of people, Every African-American Male in the Brookeland School Jr-Sr has transfered OUT..Coincedence?, I believe NOT.If this does not throw up a red flag I do not know what could. So though this is detrimental to the succes of Stappert at Brookeland High School, now that his projected Starting Five is all JV bench players from the previous year..But this is just  minut to what really lies inside this hidden "Gem" in the Woods...

There has to be more to this than just what we see here.My first question would be did the kids that transferred out move.If not they won't be elgible to play basketball anywhere.My second question is could there have been disciplinary issues with the returning players.I had the opportunity to carry teams to Spurger and Brookeland to play for years and have never seen any racial issues in either place.Some people may not agrre with Stapperts coaching style but I know the guy was crazy about his players regardless of there race.It's has gotten way to easy for kids now to change schools when things get a little tough.

No, Im not saying any of this stems from coach Stappert or his coaching style or him as I person...Playing at brookeland I have played against Spurger and every experience I have had with Stappert has been good. I said this is because of the way the school is being ran...I know a few of them for certain that they moved with their parents into different districts, the others being younger (jr. high) i am not sure...Anymore I know is just word of mouth...

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="698462" timestamp="1257477356"]
[quote author=CATMAN link=topic=61852.msg698456#msg698456 date=1257477051]
WS will have a good team this year thank to BROOKELAND.
[/quote]

Who is WS?
[/quote]

West Sabine.
AND Catman, yes I agree they may be fairly good..an understatement

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="698491" timestamp="1257478113"]
I thought I heard that 2 of these players moved to Jasper to play for Red Horse.
[/quote]

well yes 2 players did, but they are not the starters, yound freshman players but give them time they will be Goood!! if anyone had the chance of seeing the 99-00 wildcats, all the players i talked about are there younger brothers..

[quote name="CATMAN" post="698517" timestamp="1257478982"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=61852.msg698491#msg698491 date=1257478113]
I thought I heard that 2 of these players moved to Jasper to play for Red Horse.
[/quote] REDHORSE IS IN LEGGETT
[/quote]

Correct. I meant Coach Young.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="698523" timestamp="1257479112"]
[quote author=CATMAN link=topic=61852.msg698517#msg698517 date=1257478982]
[/quote]

[/quote][font=Verdana][/font] cant get anything pat the cat man. ;) ;D ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="698523" timestamp="1257479112"]
[quote author=CATMAN link=topic=61852.msg698517#msg698517 date=1257478982]
[/quote]

[/quote] HE CAME FROM REDHORSE.

Cat--you know how Leggett goes, last year all 5 starters seemed to be all Brand-New student/players...lol
Ive seen what King had returning from his bench, but you know Goodrich has like 2 6'6 freak of athletes that just seem to come out of now where, that he says were on the team the year before... [even tho his entire bench is prob average of 4'8.... ;D ;D ;D
Kings a great coach he's one of the few that can teach/coach heighth, speed, strength, athleticism  ;) :D :D

[quote name="Dr_Hoops_08" post="698508" timestamp="1257478734"]
[/quote]

well yes 2 players did, but they are not the starters, yound freshman players but give them time they will be Goood!! if anyone had the chance of seeing the 99-00 wildcats, all the players i talked about are there younger brothers..
[/quote]

I remember that Brookeland team. I'll admit I was pulling for Robert Tovar and Moulton to get the three-peat, but I knew they weren't going to be able to beat Brookeland two years in a row. Still not bad to make it four straight years and win it all the middle two trips. I still remember the Brookeland coach at the time being quoted after the first loss saying that they'd be back down at The Drum next year and he sure was confident in saying it. A year later he looked like a pretty smart guy when they won...lol.

[quote name="Dr_Hoops_08" post="712799" timestamp="1258695332"]
Cat--you know how Leggett goes, last year all 5 starters seemed to be all Brand-New student/players...lol
Ive seen what King had returning from his bench, but you know Goodrich has like 2 6'6 freak of athletes that just seem to come out of now where, that he says were on the team the year before... [even tho his entire bench is prob average of 4'8.... ;D ;D ;D
Kings a great coach he's one of the few that can teach/coach heighth, speed, strength, athleticism  ;) :D :D
[/quote]

I remember back in the late 90's when a friend of mine was the head coach at Big Sandy that his point guard (One of the kids from the reservation.) was spoken to several times by folks from Goodrich in the hopes that he'd transfer. He stuck it out with the Wildcats though.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder