What Makes The Difference?

Guest Wildcat 08

Guest Wildcat 08

What makes the difference in teams winning year after year? The size of the talent pool or coaching staff? You see teams like WOS, Nederland, PNG year after year with winning programs.

Guest Cherokee Nation

Coaching is a huge part of successful programs. Take PN-G and Nederland for example. Neither school has the number of kids that play in college as other schools, but both are very competetive with whoever they play.

Another thing is tradition. At PN-G, kids grow up wanting to be Indians. Its ingrained in them at an early age, and therefore they display a great work ethic as they get older.

Coaching is a huge part of successful programs. Take PN-G and Nederland for example. Neither school has the number of kids that play in college as other schools' date=' but both are very competetive with whoever they play.

Another thing is tradition. At PN-G, kids grow up wanting to be Indians. Its ingrained in them at an early age, and therefore they display a great work ethic as they get older.[/quote']

Well said, Cherokee!

Coaching Coaching Coaching.... If Neumann ever retires and Nederland doesnt grab a great coach... the 0-10 years could return.. lets hope not...

even teams with great players can have losing seasons if the coaching isnt there...

I agree, He does an outstanding job !

Kids are kids, they are, for the most part, the same everywhere.  Of corse, you get some that are super talanted from time to time, but it takes someone to channel that talent and use it for the best of the team and the athlete.  Some times coaches miss read a good athlete and he never gets to be all that he can be.

Often the real problem is the program, you can't expect to have a winning program when you change head coaches ever year or two.  Also you can't expect to have a winning program when you change the offence or defence every season!  If you look under the History Form you will see the difference.  Schools who have a winning tradition most often have winning seasons, their kids expect to win! their kids are proud of their program and school.  The kids from the schools without a a good long term program (COACH!)  don't have the same expectation or feelings about their program or school or comminity.

The coach makes all the difference.

Kids are kids' date=' they are, for the most part, the same everywhere. Of corse, you get some that are super talanted from time to time, but it takes someone to channel that talent and use it for the best of the team and the athlete. Some times coaches miss read a good athlete and he never gets to be all that he can be.

Often the real problem is the program, you can't expect to have a winning program when you change head coaches ever year or two. Also you can't expect to have a winning program when you change the offence or defence every season! If you look under the History Form you will see the difference. Schools who have a winning tradition most often have winning seasons, their kids expect to win! their kids are proud of their program and school. The kids from the schools without a a good long term program (COACH!) don't have the same expectation or feelings about their program or school or comminity.

The coach makes all the difference, but even an average coach can make a winning program![/quote']

I was with you until the part about an average coach. Are you talking about Xs and 0s or what ?

Thats why alot of HS programs have good JR programs so they get the basics and the drive brefore they ever hit 7th and 8th grade programs, ours start at 5yr olds in flags on up til they hit Jr high, and thats where we instill in them the traditions and pride of the NDNS and the varsity team comes out regularly and visits with the kids and shows them how to do different things. After all our kids have a long, proud and rich football tradition to uphold!!!!!!!! :P :wink:

SCALP EM :twisted:

Thats why alot of HS programs have good JR programs so they get the basics and the drive brefore they ever hit 7th and 8th grade programs' date=' ours start at 5yr olds in flags on up til they hit Jr high, and thats where we instill in them the traditions and pride of the NDNS and the varsity team comes out regularly and visits with the kids and shows them how to do different things. After all our kids have a long, proud and rich football tradition to uphold!!!!!!!! :P :wink:

SCALP EM :twisted:[/quote']

I agree with everything except the flag stuff !

I don't like flag for young kids because its distorts the reality of the game.

"Little Joey is the star running back for our flag team, he scores everytime he touches the ball"

Little Joey stops running the first time someone pops him in the mouth !

Its a different game when its FULL CONTACT and it forces some kids to pick another sport.

Mchale

I think they start at 7 or 8 years old and thats about right for most kids.

As far as baseball goes........Its the same !

If they are on the right track they should always hit off a tee as well as live arm. I am not a big fan of the machine but it will throw strikes.

The game of baseball gradually picks up as the kids mature.

But flag football and tackle are two differnt sports in my opinion.

Flag is like touch, but in TACKLE...... next thing you know somebodys got a busted mouth or a broke leg

In fact I think kids should play soccer instead of flag, then when they try out for football they will understand its a different sport.

( I am not a soccer fan but its great for speed and footwork)

But flag football is not the same game that your taking your kids to see on Friday night !

In fact I think kids should play soccer instead of flag' date=' then when they try out for football they will understand its a different sport.

( I am not a soccer fan but its great for speed and footwork)

But flag football is not the same game that your taking your kids to see on Friday night ![/quote']

OK.... thanks for the insight. I don't agree with you about when kids should start to play contact football....I think that 6th or 7th grade is when they should start. you are right about Flag and tackle being different games. but in my opinion they are about the same as Real baseball and Tee-ball. Flag, to me, is a good alternative to tackle.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami