Poll Question: Top Ten of ALL TIME - Texas High School Basketball Programs

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

I got this idea from ESPN.com and was curious to know what you guys would think about this question. Here is my ALL TIME Texas High School Basketball Programs:

1.  Port Arthur Lincoln

2.  Houston Wheatley

3.  Fort Worth Dunbar

4.  Snook

5.  Clarksville

6.  Krum

7.  Dimmitt

8.  Peaster

9.  Goodrich

10.  Morton

I did this list based on sustained winning seasons over the years, championship appearances (final fours) and state titles....LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!

I find it odd that a team from poor little ol' SE Texas is #1!!!!!! :D :D :D

I think that Duncanville should be on the list.

I don't. They have been to the final four only 5 times, winning the title 3 times, losing in the semis the other two times. That's not enough history to be a top ten. All of their success has been since '91. They weren't too good before then.

Guest DickVitale

Yeah that is funny, huh, Lazeek? 8)....But you must admit, those Lincoln teams were outstanding! Duncanville is a "johhny come lately" program...They had some success in the early 90's then fell off of the map, then rose again...The programs listed have been good for YEARS and YEARS...Just so you know, HJ was one of the NEXT to be considered for this list!! I really hated to admit that, but its true.... 8) I listed 20 programs and did some homework on them all and came up with the list.

Guest spinks

Yeah that is funny, huh, Lazeek? 8)....But you must admit, those Lincoln teams were outstanding! Duncanville is a "johhny come lately" program...They had some success in the early 90's then fell off of the map, then rose again...The programs listed have been good for YEARS and YEARS...Just so you know, HJ was one of the NEXT to be considered for this list!! I really hated to admit that, but its true.... 8) I listed 20 programs and did some homework on them all and came up with the list.

Those kids that Port Arthur spit out for those years were UNREAL.  BJ Tyler, Stephen Jackson, Keith Harris, and Emanuel McIlroy pop to my mind.  I know there are many more.  Great topic DV!!!

Guest DickVitale

Canyon girls must be on the list

Yeah I meant to specify girls and boys....someone should do a girls list...I may

One other problem, PA Lincoln is winless over the last decade.

Thought about that too, but what they did before the consolidation carried PLENTY weight!

Sugarland Willowridge when TJ Ford was a senior....several DI on that team.

Yeah they won state in 1994 too, but after the 2001 title, they almost COMPLETELY fell off of the map...Cant list them.

Guest DickVitale

They have not been to Austin in a while, but they have been still pretty competitive, making playoff runs annually and with all that their predecessors did, thats all they need to stay on this list!!

Buna has not even made the playoffs in quite sometime, if I am not mistaken. 

I grew up in Fort Worth and played a couple of games against Dunbar as a freshman.

Talk about Wildcats WOW!

I am not that familuar with most on your list, but I can confirm that FW Dunbar deserves no worse than 3rd and possibly as high as #1.

They are still cranking out the teams and I suppose they will be highly ranked again in 2009.

Guest DickVitale

Snook has been terrible.  Krum has been okay. 

Yeah Snook has been pretty bad as of late, but would you take them off of this list? That would be comparable to taking UK off of the greatest college lists because of a few bad years, dont you think?

What about Kashmere, Milby, SA Jay(just miss a championship so many years and one one) and Dallas South Oakcilff????

SOC is a top ten... They have multiple championships dating back to the 1920's

Kashmere? NO WAY, they were good in the 70's when they won state back to back, solid in the 80's and solid in the late nineties when I was coaching there  ;D (just kidding, but we were a constant figure in the regional tournament back then  ;)) They have fallen WAY off now though..Milby....They were on my top 20 list but just had some REAL GOOD years, and a bunch of average ones..not a GOAT program though.  SOC....They were on that original top 20 also, having those dominant years in the last 5, but overall I could not give them a top ten nod...(they were actually 11!)

Oh and Kountze gotta be a top ten over Krum!

Kountze over Krum? No way, no how....Kountze is better now but Krum has been it for the last 40 years or so!!

Guest spinks

Kentucky won national championships in the late 90's just over a decade ago.

Snook hasn't been to the state tournament since the 80's.  Big difference.

Guest DickVitale

Kentucky won national championships in the late 90's just over a decade ago.

Snook hasn't been to the state tournament since the 80's.  Big difference.

Yeah, but its the same concept...UK won it all in 1998, and missed the tourney last year...They are still a top 5 college program of all time in my book. 

Guest spinks

They won it in 96, 98 and were in the championship game in 97

Snook has not been in the final four since the 80's

And Kentucky has been in the tournament since those final fours

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124